Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #21

I have a 2018 model. The converter is located under the drawers in front of the entryway behind the fuse panel. If you have a residential refrigerator the inverter is in the storage bay on line front wall. The inverter is wired directly to the battery in the front storage bay bypassing the cutoff switch. The model number of the converter should be on the as built delivery list with all the models and serial numbers of the installed components. I suspect that you will have to replace the converter to go lithium.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #22

Car Guy - that is what I understand. My inverter is in pass through bay near batteries in front storage area. Need to do some searching to locate the converter as soon as I can access the unit.
socrbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
Don’t confuse these 2 items.

A converter charges your batteries when you are connected to shore power. So turning 120v into 12v.

An inverter uses power from your batteries to create 120v when you don’t have shore power. So 12v to 120v.

Only larger RVs are typically equipped with inverters from the factory. They basically all have a converter.
I’m not confusing the two, this time. I have a residential frig, so I have an inverter. Just didn’t know if it did the job of a converter as well.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #24
Retired Engineer

It sounds like you got some good advice and have a descent grasp of the situation. A few minor details: You need to get the whole model number for your converter. The number is often just the size of the unit, and the letters after the number may differentiate between battery types. Once you know the converter model number, search the internet (including YouTube) for converting that specific model. Sometime you just replace one circuit board. Sometime you flick a switch or add a jumper wire. And yes, a battery monitor with a shunt is a must - with or without lithium.
bcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
I’m not confusing the two, this time. I have a residential frig, so I have an inverter. Just didn’t know if it did the job of a converter as well.
On some units they do the job of both... an inverter AND a converter/charger all in one.

Other units have a separate inverter to power 120v things like your residential refrigerator and another unit to charge the battery(ies) and supply 12v.

Some units the CONverter is a stand alone unit and some have it as a replaceable part of the power distribution box.

There is no 'standard' answer. Brands/models come equipped differently. You need to determine what YOU have.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #26

We own 2021 heritage Glen travel trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrbent View Post
We own a 2020 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen LTZ 286RL. Looking to be prepared if and when we have battery problems. Considering replacing the 2 lead acid batteries with lithium. From our investigation we need to know if our converter will work with lithium batteries. Can anyone help?
We do not have the fifth wheel, we have the 2021 heritage Glen 271rl travel trailer. You have a converter, it should be in your hutch, stove area. Look under your oven and you should see a vented panel, remove that and there’s your converter. Yes, we have duel lithium ion batteries. They work perfectly. Although we have the 12 volt refrigerator not the house refrigerator. We’ve never had a problem. When plugged into shore power they’re always charged. When we dry camp, we have a generator that hooks up to propane. We charge them every couple to 3 days for a few hours. The lithium’s last and are one of the best investments to make, just my opinion. We do have a separate small battery checker to make sure the panel is showing correct. Yes, the converter takes lithium’s. BTW, very nice fifth wheel! Hope this helps!
Disanddat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:14 PM   #27

One thing that just ring dung on me is you have a residential refrigerator. You should have an inverter, it takes your 120 and will convert it it 12 volts. Inverter you must look to see if you can scroll thru your screen or have a switch on that specifically says lithium ion batteries. If it does not, it will Not take lithium batteries.
Disanddat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:44 PM   #28

Well I'm on my 3rd rig. Solar on all three. Most all newer MPPT solar controllers will charge LiFePo batteries. I've never seen a PWM solar charger that would fully charge the lithium batteries.

Most trailers will need the CONVERTER/CHARGER upgrades. We have an 05 DP. Ours friends have a2014 DP. Both had (for their day) "modern Magnum 2000 watt inverter/converter-chargers. Both required upgrading to adequately charge LiFePo batteries. His took a new control head. Mine, the older, required the new control head as well as an internal control board upgrade. Scared me til I read up. Then $400 worth of parts two hours more reading and it only took me an hour.

SHORT ANSWER. YOU CAN DO IT. I never learned the lance camper my wife came with, the the 3 Trailers. Trailers scared me at first. Now finally after six or eight years of constant upgrading I'm fearless. That just means I'm likely to screw up the next project But just read, watch YouTube ( they have a great search tool) and step by step you will master the monster.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disanddat1 View Post
One thing that just ring dung on me is you have a residential refrigerator. You should have an inverter, it takes your 120 and will convert it it 12 volts. Inverter you must look to see if you can scroll thru your screen or have a switch on that specifically says lithium ion batteries. If it does not, it will Not take lithium batteries.
I do not know OPs rig, but most, trailers and even lower cost class A gassers have a direct inverter for frig and maybe a branch to the tv. They can have internal switching to pass shore power through,. But most do not have the larger 2000-3000 watt inverter/ chargers like I think you are talking about.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter