Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

wildwood xlite 230bhxl short queen bed

Have a short queen murphy bed. can I extend that to make it a regular queen? I say an extender that is supposed to go at head of bed and extends it to a full queen but not sure it would fit on platform or if there is enough room to close the bed if it sticks out.

Also, has anyone replaced the mattress? My pop up beds were way more comfortable than the mattress that is in there. Had to put a mattress topper with egg crate for relief.

Thanks
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrxaide View Post
Have a short queen murphy bed. can I extend that to make it a regular queen? I say an extender that is supposed to go at head of bed and extends it to a full queen but not sure it would fit on platform or if there is enough room to close the bed if it sticks out.

Also, has anyone replaced the mattress? My pop up beds were way more comfortable than the mattress that is in there. Had to put a mattress topper with egg crate for relief.

Thanks
I don't think you can go any longer with the Murphy bed since the end of it goes right up to the ceiling when its folded up. You can definitely replace the bed as I did that in mine.

I got an 8in thick memory foam from Amazon and paired that with a thick pillow top style mattress pad and I have to say I never thought I could have a comfortable mattress for that cheap. It's a bit tight and I definitely have to lean on it a bit when I am latching it in, but I am going on just about two years and no issues.
Fargo, ND
Hekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

short queen bed mattress replacement for murphy bed

which one did you get
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrxaide View Post
which one did you get
I got the Zinus Deluxe Memory Foam 8 inch mattress, but looking at Amazon I don't see that exact model is being sold anymore. That's a shame considering it had a 4.7 rating and was under $200 and plenty of people on this forum had vouched for that mattress.

If you search Amazon for, RV short queen mattress, you will find all sorts of options, many with very good ratings. You can also search for, RV queen pillow top mattress pad, and find plenty of options there. For me the cotton pillow top is key cause I think foam mattress sleep a bit warm and at least to me seem a bit firm. I wouldn't skimp on this if you go the foam mattress route.

Another option if you don't trust doing this online is going to a Beds by Design or similar store as they make custom mattresses at a reasonable price and they typically offer free adjustments to the bed design if you don't like it after if they have built it.
Fargo, ND
Old 09-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

2018 230 bhxl

Do you think the 10" in memory foam would work instead of the 8" and mattress topper?
Mike
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

It will definitely be really tight as even with my 8" and all the bedding I have to lean on it a bit to get the latches secured. I don't know that the topper really effects it much right at the edge of the bed where it presses against the ceiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Do you think the 10" in memory foam would work instead of the 8" and mattress topper?
Mike
Fargo, ND

Tags
bed, lite, wildwood