Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

1st TT Purchase, Advice from owners needed!

We are about to purchase our first TT, hopefully in time to do some fall camping in TN! My budget is $7500 so naturally most of my options are older and most are stick and tin. However, I recently located what appears (by pictures) to be a very clean 2006 Flagstaff 26BHSS. I love the look and layout and that it has a slide-out as many in my range dohan not have this many features. However, i have done some research and I know that these early super-lites had lots of delamination issues as well as soft spots in some of the floors. The seller has the unit priced right in my opinion; I would be happy to get the camper for the price he is asking if it all checks out.

So here are my questions for experienced owners of Flagstaff/Rockwood TTs and 5'ers in this age class:

1. at 11 years old can I expect if the TT had either of these issues that the issues would already be showing?
2. would those of you who own this age class recommend me to purchase or stay away?
3. what else other than these two issues should I check out on the TT before buying?

Thanks!
jkrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

As I have bought older trailers, not these exact models, my .02:

1. Do a really good walk around with a flashlight, yes even in daylight. Shine it up on the walls, you will see if there are problems.
2. Walk every inch of it inside, if you have a weak floor you will feel it.
3. Have the seller put water in it. Turn the water pump on, you should hear it run for a few seconds, then turn itself off. Once it turns off, leave the switch on, turn on a faucet just long enough you hear the pump kick on again, then turn the faucet off and when the pump shuts off again, turn the switch for the water pump off. Find something else to do and time it for about 6 or 7 minutes, then turn the pump switch back on. I SHOULD NOT come back on, if it does, it has a plumbing leak somewhere. Plumbing leaks can cost you a lot to fix.
4. If it has a walk on roof, get up there and see what the caulking looks like. Does it appear a year or two old at the most or does it look like it has been there since it left the factory. Will give you an idea if the current seller has done regular maintenance to it.
5. Ask the seller the last time the bearings were done on the wheels.

I could go on, but IMHO those are the big ticket items to look for. Remember it is an older trailer, it isn't going to be perfect.
markb5900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I just sold my 2007 Rockwood Roo HTT.
Never had any delamination.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote