Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS

Hello all,

We're currently looking to acquire our first travel trailer and have found the 831FKBSS to be our favourite by far. We have looked at Jayco Eagle, Cougar, Surveyor and a few others but it's clear that the quality and options are a step up in the Flagstaff.

We're located in Grande Prairie, Alberta and have a local dealer who carries the Flagstaff line. Talking to them today, they can order one in for us with all of our colour choices with about an 8 week delivery schedule (Perfect for when the snow is starting to melt... )

So a couple of things i'd like to know about include the front kitchen, and if anyone is having issues with the front power jack, or power stabilizer jacks on a 2011 model?

Right now the price they are quoting for all options included (except stainless appliances) is $32,900 - that seem right? I think they can do a bit better than that, maybe somewhere in the $27,000 range.

I've also been doing some looking in the states, but so far don't seem to see any prices cheaper than about the 30K mark with the options included.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some further information about this specific model and also pricing.
greran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

We took delivery of ours in January and love it. We have had an issue with the furnace not working the first time we used the camper (fortunately on the side yard). The dealer fixed it under warranty, bad fan which took out the circuit board and it works great now. The Concertone unit was also hooked up incorrectly to the Toshiba TV which I finally figured out and now all functions as it should. I am awaiting a fix from Concertone for a video jump when playing a DVD but it's not that noticible when selecting full screen.

The power front jack works great, use it to raise the TT and truck to set the WD hitch. The power stabilizers work good but don't let them "ratchet" in the up position as they will blow the fuse.

We really love the storage inside the TT and the kitchen really pleased my DW. The only negative issue we have is the bouncing when someone walks inside the TT. It seems this is an issue with all the newer TT's that we have checked out. I think the issue lies in the lighter frames and the lighter stabilizer jacks. I've tried the wheel blocks and extra jacks at the midpoint and nothing seems to make that drastic of a difference but this doesn't keep up from enjoying our new TT.

Check to see that the propane hose for hooking the RVQ is long enough as our was too short. I've added a few mods that I have found on this forum which makes the TT more enjoyable and a few I thought up myself. Mostly just minor things but they work for me.

As far as prices you can find some good prices by shopping around but we paid a little more so that I can deal local and have someone to take the TT to when I need warranty repairs and not have to drive hours away. Good luck and hope you enjoy.
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckisland1950 View Post
We took delivery of ours in January and love it. We have had an issue with the furnace not working the first time we used the camper (fortunately on the side yard). The dealer fixed it under warranty, bad fan which took out the circuit board and it works great now. The Concertone unit was also hooked up incorrectly to the Toshiba TV which I finally figured out and now all functions as it should. I am awaiting a fix from Concertone for a video jump when playing a DVD but it's not that noticible when selecting full screen.

The power front jack works great, use it to raise the TT and truck to set the WD hitch. The power stabilizers work good but don't let them "ratchet" in the up position as they will blow the fuse.

We really love the storage inside the TT and the kitchen really pleased my DW. The only negative issue we have is the bouncing when someone walks inside the TT. It seems this is an issue with all the newer TT's that we have checked out. I think the issue lies in the lighter frames and the lighter stabilizer jacks. I've tried the wheel blocks and extra jacks at the midpoint and nothing seems to make that drastic of a difference but this doesn't keep up from enjoying our new TT.

Check to see that the propane hose for hooking the RVQ is long enough as our was too short. I've added a few mods that I have found on this forum which makes the TT more enjoyable and a few I thought up myself. Mostly just minor things but they work for me.

As far as prices you can find some good prices by shopping around but we paid a little more so that I can deal local and have someone to take the TT to when I need warranty repairs and not have to drive hours away. Good luck and hope you enjoy.
There is a cheap and easy fix for this. Get your dealer to install auto-resetting circuit breakers for the power stabilizers. Problem solved.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Thanks VTX-Al. I'll look into that. Haven't had a problem since I know what to expect but you never know when I'll blow one and be in a hurry.
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

greran,

to the forum!

We have a 2011 831FKBSS on order now. We have the 2006 Rockwood version (8315SS) currently. The difference between the two is the bedroom slide. (Wasn't an option in 2006.) We liked the floor-plan, construction, etc. well enough to go ahead and get another one. The only reason we are switching to a Flagstaff instead of a Rockwood is the choice of interior colors. (Same model Flagstaff's & Rockwood's only differ in interior colors & graphics packages, after all.)

John

PS. If you are interested in a 2006 (With the stainless kitchen) instead of a 2011, let me know!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

The wife and I bought a 2009 831FKBSS and love it! We did have a problem with the power front jack which was a Lippert. I replaced it with a Barker 3000 and sent the Lippert back to FR and they sent a check for $150, the original cost of that jack. I also noticed some delaminting on the back which FR is currently repairing under warranty. Cant wait to get it back and get out on the road again. I'd shop around on price as I paid considerably less for mine which I loaded up with options. Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #7

I would check out rvwholesalers.com. We bought our 2009 8315BSS Rockwood (twin to the 831FKBSS) through them and were very pleased. Ordered ours with every available options, had it delivered to our door and it was still around 5k cheaper than anyone local.
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote