Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

2017 Flagstaff 21DS control panel location

My slide out has stopped working. Iíve been looking everywhere for the control panel location - the brains of the slide out - for my 2017 Flagstaff 21DS. The slide is stuck in. Iíve pulled apart every possible panel I have access to and canít find it anywhere. Thoughts?
Hefalumpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Flagstaff sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
Father Frederick

I can't speak for certain, since the manufacturer does not publish wiring diagrams, (which they SHOULD), but here are my thoughts.

The slideout is basically a DC motor which is bi-directional. One rotation slides it out, the opposite rotation slides it in. In my 19FBS the operation is via a panel at the entry. The power comes from the battery.

For "short" protection I would wager there is a non-automatic reset breakers somewhere on your unit. On mine, (with the tongue facing north) it's on the east or drivers side of the camper, and is located under the front of the unit, on the inside of the chassis rail.

If someone is good with a volt meter you can get to it with black lead of meter on the chassis or black wire, and the red lead on the terminal of the breaker. Meter should be in the DC Volt setting, greater than 15 volts. You should see voltage on the side going to the battery, and the side going to the motor. If you don't see voltage on the side toward the motor, the breaker is tripped. There is usually a little button on the small side of the breaker to "reset". Sometimes you can reset it with a finger press, but sometimes the tip of a ballpoint pen is needed to press it in. If you then have voltage it should be fixed.

If you don't have voltage the breaker is defective.

If you have voltage, and then when you try to extend the slide out, and it doesn't work, and then you find the breaker has tripped again, there is a problem in the controller or the motor is bad.

I hesitate to offer guidance further down because I'm finding out that most units are not made the same, and locations and controllers could be different, or different location.

Two things I don't like about our camper. No wiring diagrams, and it seems there are different wiring schemes for each model as well as different installation. One you either fix by swapping the breaker or resetting it's good. But if the breaker trips you have an electrical problem and it would require a visit to the "RV doc".

FYI, on my unit, there are (3) breakers on the inside rail in the front. ALL should be good and not tripped. If you need a picture of what they look like, let me know. They are also covered in red electrical grease which is supposed to keep them waterproof, but that does not always work, and that grease is a bear to get off your skin.

Tags
cat, control panel, flagstaff, location, panel