Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

2020 Flagstaff Microlite 21DS Slide Lock

I'm sure the following will stir a lot of controversy. However, I thought I would share my experience regarding the slide lock that came with my new Flagstaff Micro Lite.

Bottom line, I got rid of the slide lock (a.k.a shower rod curtain holder) after the first three or four hundred miles of travel coming back to California from Indiana where we bought our travel trailer new. The reason I got rid of it was two fold:

1. The instructions that came with the slide lock identified how to use it as a towel, clothing, or shower curtain holder.

2. I almost opened the slide with the damn thing in place (yes, even with the big red tag saying do not open staring me in the face).

We traveled the remaining 2000 miles back without incident, which included off-road boondocking most of the trip.

Finally, although the dealer showed me how to use the slide lock he said "most people get rid of them after they leave the dealership".

So, there you have it. I hope this helps with those who may be struggling with whether or not to use this particular piece of equipment.
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

So I am going to throw my 2 cents in the ring with a 2013 Microlite 21FBRS that we have taken out on average 10-15 annual trips (only in Florida so no really bad roads; a few campgrounds were a bit rough) & I always have my slide lock in place.
Just curious if anyone has experienced problems from using / not using the slide lock (not theoretically - really had a problem)?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Can I ask an innocent question? What is a slide lock? I have an earlier 21DS and never heard of such a thing.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Nomad View Post

2. I almost opened the slide with the damn thing in place (yes, even with the big red tag saying do not open staring me in the face).
Almost? Ha, I can beat that...I actually did it! Well, tried to anyway, but the straining of the slide motor and loud crack of the trim piece popping loose stopped me short. Yep, big red tag and all.
From that point I quit using the #%@! thing and never had an issue. I only hang on to it because if there's a major failure of the slide mechanism while on a trip and the room has to be pushed in manually just to get on the road, the brace will help as a backup (I still have a huge cargo strap handy just in case).
I'm pretty mechanically savvy and know that the retract mechanism on those type of slides (I have a 2104S, basically identical to the OP's 21DS) consists of a single floor mounted rack and pinion gear system. There is no intrinsic locking action on that type of mechanism, but it is possible that the electric motor has a built-in lock that releases when power is applied. If that's the case then personally I wouldn't trust that alone to keep the room in place. There could also be a design in the gearbox that does the job, I'm not sure but I want to find out. Now that I'm thinking about it I'll do a little investigating the next time I have the trailer out, maybe it's a good thing I held on to that brace after all.
I'm also curious the see the responses to Life Without Whines's question, I'm sure someone in the FRF universe has a slipping slide story to tell.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Can I ask an innocent question? What is a slide lock? I have an earlier 21DS and never heard of such a thing.
Looks like this thing right here, they come with new trailers on delivery.

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

FWIW, we HAD a 2014 21DS and now HAVE a 2015 25KS, ... the salesman of the 21DS told us about the slide lock, but said no one uses it and didn't offer us one, ... with the 25KS it was never mentioned, ... thus, we've never found the need for one, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Looks like this thing right here, they come with new trailers on delivery.

Thanks David! What's is it's purpose? Do slides actually pop back in?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:

it is used when traveling, to keep the slide from accidentally sliding out while you are during down the road, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
it is used when traveling, to keep the slide from accidentally sliding out while you are during down the road, ...
So I guess that has been a problem?
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

The idea is that it keeps the slide from apparently moving out during travel. Also, to add to my original post the trim work that the slide lock rests against seems to not have the strength/blocking required to properly hold the weight of the slide if the mechanics were to fail.
Quote:
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
So I guess that has been a problem?

If the manufacturer did not see or know of a need for them, they would not be handing them out in the first place. RV manufacturers are not in the habit of giving stuff away just to reduce the bottom line. The longer ones go for @ $30 - $35 each.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

During our PDI the tech said not to use it while traveling only use it if the slide out motor failed and it was manually slid in since the motor wouldn’t keep it in. Not what we were used to but so far so good.
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #13

When we bought our 2018 21FBRS, as we were going through the camper before we left the dealer, I asked the salesman where it was. We couldn’t find it, so he went inside and brought me one from their parts store.

I put it in whenever we move the trailer. Every time. And leave the tag hanging over the ledge as a visual reminder to take it off before we open the slide. We’ve never had a problem, and don’t expect to. It takes very little time to install and remove, so I fail to see the big deal.

I would rather use it and not need it than not use it and maybe have a problem. Like a TPMS system, backup/observation camera, a smoke detector and CO/propane detector, and a properly adjusted and working breakaway cable. But that’s just me.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
It's a CYA device. I had two of them on my previous HTT. I only used them when we towed on twisty roads and mountains.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, lite, lock, slide