Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

21FBRS

Just spent a couple of months in my new TT. It’s great. Gotta question about the battery set up. The rig has a 12v Magic Chef refrigerator, Go Power 190 watt solar panel and GP-PWM-30 controller. When hooked to shore power my batteries will show 100% on the controller. When driving (two days) the level on the controller will say the batteries are maybe 75% and the second day 55%. I don’t understand why the tow vehicle is not charging the batteries to 100%. I understand that the batteries are also providing power to various components including the reefer while driving. It just doesn’t make sense to arrive at a destination with only 55% capacity on the batteries. The solar panel can never make up the 45%. I am running with 2-12v Interstate flooded batteries. I think they are group 24. Thanks.
DJC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #2

The tow vehicle usually provides a trickle charge to the battery,
Old 03-29-2021, 05:50 AM   #3

Thank you
Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

DC. I have a 21FBRS as well but I am sure that appliances and power consumption has changed since my 2017 was built. I got an amp meter and checked the amp usage of everything in the trailer. when traveling, I have the refer running on gas. The base amperage used of the trailer, just sitting, is .17 amps/hour. The refer uses 0.58 amps/hour. Calculated out that is 4.08 amps/24 hours and 13.92 amps/24 hours.

I have two group 24 Deep Cycle batteries, both Walmart but good, they each have 75 amps which is 35 usable amps. Your interstate batteries may not give this many amp hours and they are not true deep cycle. it is possible for your trailer to use 30-45 % of available amps during travel for two days. As other posted said, the tow vehicle does not provide but a trickle charge.

The solar, if working at the best capacity, is going to only give you maybe 3-4 amps / hour. this is in the best of conditions.

As a final though. I turned on all DC sources in my trailer. If every DC source is on, it draws 15.33 amps/hour. this will drain my batteries in about 6 hours...by the math. It does not take but a single lighten, maybe the hood light that uses 1.38 amps or the bath fan that uses 2.67 amps to really draw down the batteries.
DanMistyMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

Thank you for your due diligence. Great information. I may add an additional 190w roof panel, 130w suite case and switch to lithium batteries.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

You should go to two 6v deep cycle batteries for better performance.
Rubicrusher is offline   Reply With Quote