RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #1

21FBRS Jack Point

I have a 2020 Flagstaff 21FBRS with torsion axles. My question is where is the correct location to place the jack to raise the unit up for tire replacement? I have read not to jack on the axle tube as they may deform and cause trouble with the internal torque tube. I am assuming (yes i know what that means) that jacking on the angle iron frame between the tires would be a safe place but just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks in advance for help
jsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered I have torsion axles also and Jacking between the axles on the frame member is correct. be careful how you place the jack on the angle iron so the head doesn't slip.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

Yes a wood block between the frame and jack and maybe to get enough lift height a block under the jack.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

On the frame between the axles is OK.

Since the mounting bracket welded to the torsion axle bolts to the frame, encircles the axle and supports the weight of the R/V, I also jack against it when needed. The only downside is the amount of material the jack head mates against. If you have a floor type jack, no problem. If you have a bottle jack, be sure it is positioned so it doesn't slip off.
Attached Images

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered I have torsion axles also and Jacking between the axles on the frame member is correct. be careful how you place the jack on the angle iron so the head doesn't slip.

Thanks for the conformation it is reassuring. When I say jacking on the angle iron I am referring to the flat side of the angle not the vertical leg so there is ample area for the jack head to contact safely. The biggest challenge is the tires are so close together you can only use a small jack and even that is tight. I wish they had spread the axles a bit farther apart.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsborn View Post
Thanks for the conformation it is reassuring. When I say jacking on the angle iron I am referring to the flat side of the angle not the vertical leg so there is ample area for the jack head to contact safely. The biggest challenge is the tires are so close together you can only use a small jack and even that is tight. I wish they had spread the axles a bit farther apart.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Are you referring to the actual frame longmember or a short angle iron brace that goes between the front/rear axle?
Jacking on the FRAME is OK. Jacking on an angle iron brace is NOT

And that's exactly why I jack on the axle bracket.
My tires are only 1-3/8" apart. So close, I can barely get my collapsed X-Chocks between the tires. Jacking on the frame between the axles/tires is a chore.

Granted, you can only get one tire off the ground at a time doing what I do (unless you use two jacks) but I can only work on one at a time anyway!

I have plenty of jacks and several H/D jack stands if I need to do something different.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Are you referring to the actual frame longmember or a short angle iron brace that goes between the front/rear axle?
Jacking on the FRAME is OK. Jacking on an angle iron brace is NOT

And that's exactly why I jack on the axle bracket.
My tires are only 1-3/8" apart. So close, I can barely get my collapsed X-Chocks between the tires. Jacking on the frame between the axles/tires is a chore.

Granted, you can only get one tire off the ground at a time doing what I do (unless you use two jacks) but I can only work on one at a time anyway!

I have plenty of jacks and several H/D jack stands if I need to do something different.

The Angle iron I am referring to runs from the front axle to the rear axle and is welded to the frame rail. It is where the axle mounting brackets are bolted to.