Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
Broken Toe

27rlws question

A buddy of mine is looking at getting a camper. He is pretty smitten with the Flagstaff 27rlws. He has a deal on the table with a dealer for a very good purchase price. However, this is for an 'in-stock' unit that I guess the dealer is trying to move off the lot.

The camper comes with the 30A power an a single 13.5K BTU air conditioner and he and I are both concerned if its going to be enough for camping in the heat and humidity of the Midwest (mostly Missouri)

He can order-in a new camper, and get the 50A and second air prep, but it would wind up costing almost 2 grand more than taking the one off the dealers lot. An additional option is to buy a 15k A/C unit and swap it out for the 13.5k

He really wants to do this deal, but he don't want to wind up regretting it if he is hot and sticky because the air won't keep up.

Let me know what you think.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

We had this model camper with the 13500 BTU air conditioner for two years and never had a problem with it staying cool enough. We camp mostly in central and southern Illinois. I really don't think your friend will have a problem unless he wants to keep the temp at 60 degrees. Now the fridge was another story, but the air was fine.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

My TT with a 13.5 struggles in the STL heat but manages. I am outside no matter what when camping and only go in to sleep at night. How hearty is your buddy and his companions?

2K over how many years might not be that much of a cost. Had I a chance to do things over, I would have changed my requirements versus getting the basics at the cheapest price.

It costs extra money to get it wrong...

I am currently looking again after only two years and whatever I get, it will be 50amp with the 15K ac plus the option for a second ac.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

We have had a 27rlws for 3 years now. We have the 15k air conditioner. Out in the sun on a really hot day the 15k running constantly will make it tolerable inside. At night it has always been fine. It is not a problem for us as we are mainly using it in the midwest but if we were to do a lot of summer camping down south it would not be good! Your friend will really like the floorplan and the trailer has been problem free for us so far.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

The post above about the fridge reminds me about the only complaint we have about the trailer. Since the fridge is in a slideout it doesn't have a roof vent. This necessitates a fan to draw air over the heat dissipating unit. The fan is LOUD!!! However food has always stayed frozen in the freezer and no problem in the fridge for us.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #6

Our 2703ws has the 15k unit and it runs all day in the La. heat, but will keep camper cool; no problems with fridge, it is not loud
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
A buddy of mine is looking at getting a camper. He is pretty smitten with the Flagstaff 27rlws. He has a deal on the table with a dealer for a very good purchase price. However, this is for an 'in-stock' unit that I guess the dealer is trying to move off the lot.

The camper comes with the 30A power an a single 13.5K BTU air conditioner and he and I are both concerned if its going to be enough for camping in the heat and humidity of the Midwest (mostly Missouri)

He can order-in a new camper, and get the 50A and second air prep, but it would wind up costing almost 2 grand more than taking the one off the dealers lot. An additional option is to buy a 15k A/C unit and swap it out for the 13.5k

He really wants to do this deal, but he don't want to wind up regretting it if he is hot and sticky because the air won't keep up.

Tim
That's a lot of trailer for a single 13.5 or even a 15. If I was buying one I would most definitely want 50 amp service and 2nd AC.

I do not understand the discount as when we bought our Roo it was the same price if they would of had an "in stock" unit which they didn't, or to order. I guess the only way I can see it is if its been sitting on the lot for a long time and as you said they are "trying to move it off the lot".

In that case I would have to really think about it because dealers typically do no maintenance whatsoever while those units are on the lot. I have seen quite a few new units that have sat on lots for 4,5,6 months or more with failing sealant, evidence of water intrusion, etc. What is the build date?

Buying an in stock unit has its benefits because you can get a hands on feel for the actual one you're buying, where ordering can be a crapshoot at times. I know about ordering first hand. When that unit arrives after however long thats your unit and if it has major issues, which can happen, you can certainly reject it but be ready for another long wait to see if they can get it right the next time.

Our last two trailers were "in stock" units however one was bought within 3 weeks of the build date, and the other within 2 months. Another thing to look for is if the unit was ever to an RV show. Would you want 10000 people tramping through it before you bought it? I could of saved another 2K on our 23WS but found out the specific Shamrock 23WS had been on display at the Hershey RV show........thanks but no thanks. A laminated floor that had seen the foot traffic that we might put on it in 5 years. Not a good idea.

Another thing to consider...........Rockwood recently made a change so I have read, to plywood floors as opposed to laminated. I think at this point I would want the plywood.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

1 year old 2702ws.

We have a 1 year old 2703WS and have the 15k btu ac. We are in central MD and had a run of a few weeks of VERY hot weather last summer. I was camping and the temps outside were in the 90's and inside was comfortable. The AC even cycled. Of course we were in the woods under trees which I think is a huge factor.

Personally, I think I will be fine.

Marty
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:

Tim

IF, you're both concerned, you already know the answer to the question.

I ordered mine and it came with the 13.5K Colman-Mach, wish I'd have gone for the 15K Colman Mach. It's OK after optimizing the AC, running electronic dehumidifier, blocking vents,skylights etc and running a few fans to circulate the air. It will cycle on/off and keep it comfortable, which it didn't before. Now, as to whether you need 2 ACs and the 50A connection Most of the S.P.s I frequent are 30A only
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

I think having a similar unit and loving it that he should think about where he is going to camp and under what conditions.

I have a 13.5 AC unit and it can keep up here on the east coast, but then again we are gone pretty much all day and only come back late in the afternoon/evening.

He could swap the units and run with the deal. IMHO
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:

Tim

I was considering having the second AC on a 27BHWS we ordered, but that extra cost for the amount of time we'd have to actually camp just didn't seem worth it. We're going to Florida in June with a single 13.5k unit... the second AC required that they run 50A service instead of 30 which is why it cost so much more. The 2nd AC was only like $200, it was requiring to 50A that was expensive. I went cheap... in not going to be full time and I grew up with tents and primitive camp sites.

If it gets to hot and my kids complain I'll explain I walked to school uphill both ways... LOL

Good luck with your decision.
mt_creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

I camp mainly in Texas and I own this same model. It came with a 15k 30amp and in the unshaded heat of the summer it struggled during the day. It was better at night but I wanted more. We added a 2nd ac and wired it separately. It works great both day and night now.
Brazealnut4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #13

I have a unit on order and have the listed spec sheet from Forest River. Full list for 50 amp upgrade is 300$ and the second air option on my unit is 700$. Sounds like the dealer wants to make some extra $ on an order unit vs moving one of the lot.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

I know this reply is way past, but for future reference, putting a 15k ac is something the most dealers can and will handle for units on their lots without much problem. We are getting ready to purchase a new rv, the dealer has one I like on his lot but with the 13.5 asked about getting a upgrade to the 15k cost will be $275 on top of original purchase price.
6.4L Diesel 3:55
2018 Flagstaff 25FKS
MissouriCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Our 2017 27rlws has 50 amp and 2 15k Coleman mach a/c's. Its a meat locker and I love it. Currently we only camp in Tx and La.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #16

I have a 2017 27rLWS with 15k ac with 30 amp service. I'm located in Long Island and have no problems with the coach staying cool. If I had to do it all over again I would get the 50 amp service especially since my wife uses a hair dryer and we have to shut the ac off when she's using it so as not to blow a circuit. My only other complaint is that I wish the sofa was more comfortable. Other than that we love our tt
jasanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:

Tim

We are in Missouri and have the 2017 27rlws with the 1500 air and it does good. I would not have the 1350.
lfann is offline   Reply With Quote