Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

831bhds

Hey to everyone! We have been camping for years and have gone from tent to popup to TT. Something about 6 kids makes a popup a bit tight! We already sold our VR1 and are looking at a Flagstaff 831BHDS. TV is a 2002 Excursion 7.3 4WD. We are in NC and most of our camping is out west or NE/Maine and National Parks or State Parks.

Does anyone have any feedback on the 831BHDS?
Or the wisdom of buying locally vs from a large wholesaler?

Thanks for the insight!
Harrison
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

We are considering this unit and the twin Rockwood 8312SS. You didn't by chance by the one in Marion at Tom Johnson, did you?
cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

no but we are thinking of ordering one
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
no but we are thinking of ordering one
Have you seen it in person. We were going to go to their Concord location as they have one there but it has the table and 4 chairs so it is not one we would buy. If it had the u-dinette it would have been perfect. They are about 3 hours away from us but its the closest I've found. What are your thoughts on it. My wife is not crazy the pantry is across from the bathroom vs next to fridge and I have not seen any pics of the pantry on line. Must be difficult to get it in a pic due to location. Does it have shelves? Nice size or too small. Wonder if Tom Johnson is good to deal with and are competitive with the wholesalers out there.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Cecil
We have seen it and would also be looking for the U-dinette. thats why we might need to order it. Not sure if TJ will be competitive but I do plan on finding out! We only live 30 min from their Concord location and have bought from them before. We would do so again if they are even close in price. From what I have seen the Rockwood twin seems identical - I cant tell any difference other than labels. We didnt have a problem with the pantry location - probably bcs the last two TT's we have owned had the pantry in the same location.
TJ does a lot of business so they might be competitive and might even have one coming - i really couldn't say.
Good Hunting!
Harrison
Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Cecil
We have seen it and would also be looking for the U-dinette. thats why we might need to order it. Not sure if TJ will be competitive but I do plan on finding out! We only live 30 min from their Concord location and have bought from them before. We would do so again if they are even close in price. From what I have seen the Rockwood twin seems identical - I cant tell any difference other than labels. We didnt have a problem with the pantry location - probably bcs the last two TT's we have owned had the pantry in the same location.
TJ does a lot of business so they might be competitive and might even have one coming - i really couldn't say.
Good Hunting!
Harrison
ARe you impressed with the overall quality, looks and features. How big is the outside storage on slide? Does the kids ladder hook on to anything or just lay up against the top bunk? Tks
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

We looked at campers from several manufacturers in three different states and kept coming back to this one. We started looking in the fall knowing we would not buy until late Feb. One of the things we like about this is the quality. I got tired of using a screwdriver everytime we went camping to fix something! the kids ladder is attached but my kids are likely to just dive on and off anyway! Not sure about the outsdie stroage. With the outside kitchen you lose some outside storage. We have learned to go light anyway so that isnt a big deal to us. In early days we packed as if we were moving! Now we go to get away from "moving so fast". We stop at Wally World at distant destinations and restock on food and water.

Tags
831bhds