Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

8526RLWS battery issue

Hello,

We went out dry camping with this trailer for the first time this weekend. I was quite disappointed in the battery. We got there around 7pm on Friday night and the battery was reading 1/3 full by 3pm on Saturday. By 5pm Saturday, the carbon monoxide/LP alarm was going off reading low voltage. I ended up having to plug in to a generator for a couple hours to bring it back up to 2/3.

The only thing constantly running was the fridge and some lights here and there. I've spent most my life dry camping so we hardly leave lights or fans on. Is this common or does something sound off? I imagine it should last a bit longer (at least the weekend). The trailer is going in this week for some warranty work and I'm going to have them check the battery to see if it's bad. We purchased the trailer brand new in February.

Thanks.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

RV's have parasitic draws you may not be aware of.

Things like Carbon Monoxide/LP detectors, Stereo/bluetooth units, condensation heaters in refrigerator doors/dividers, Refrigerator control modules, slide controller boxes, etc., etc with most of them not being able to be turned off. Also, if you have one, some newer variable speed water pumps draw additional current at times.

You didn't mention whether your lights are LED (hopefully they are) and you didn't mention whether your battery was fully charged when you left.

Did you run the furnace?
The water heater has a control module that consumes a small amount of 12v too.

How are you checking the battery? If using the indicator lights in the control panel that isn't a good indicator at all.

All I'm saying is so far, there are too many variables in what you've presented to say whether anything is 'wrong.'

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
RV's have parasitic draws you may not be aware of.

Things like Carbon Monoxide/LP detectors, Stereo/bluetooth units, condensation heaters in refrigerator doors/dividers, Refrigerator control modules, slide controller boxes, etc., etc with most of them not being able to be turned off. Also, if you have one, some newer variable speed water pumps draw additional current at times.

All I'm saying is so far, there are too many variables in what you've presented to say whether anything is 'wrong.'
Agreed, and the single cheap marine / rv battery that came with that unit can be killed in about a week just sitting connected without touching the trailer.

If it were me and I dry camped for a few days here and there, I'd take the opportunity to replace that battery with a pair of 6V in series and get a good stand alone charger for them. I can get 3 - 4 days off of mine only taking them to about 45% discharge.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Team

RV dealers put the cheapest dual purpose marine batteries in their RVs, unless the customer is informed and has them put better batteries in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery