Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

A quick tire question!!

I have the Castle Rock on my 2016 8528 Super Lite but don't trust them.
My question is if I buy the Maxxis or Carlisle where can I have them put on? Most tire places don't have enough room. Any helpful suggestion would be appreciated.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Maybe an RV dealer could accommodate new tire installation. I would check with a local one first before hooking up towing around town.
If no dealers, put the trailer on jack stands,remove the tires and wheels. Load them in a pick up with the new tires and have them mounted and balanced at the tire shop. Then remount the new ones.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Always Learning

I did mine 2-3 tires at a time and took them myself to the tire shop. It was a huge accomplishment for me- literally my first ever tire change.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Are there any discount tires around you. They can do both brands and give lifetime balance and rotate. I even purchased insurance for mine. Never been to one not big enough to take my 36 ft fifth wheel.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

Call and ask if you think there is not enough room. I told a CG neighbor that was expressed at my dealer and was told they just need to know when I was coming. They actually would move employee vehicles to open a path around the rear and it would be a pull thru. The neighbor said he drove to a nearby mall parking lot and the dealer sent a tech with the tools to remove 2 at a time. The dealer had that tech and another standing by to change, balance, and return for the other 2 + spare.
Remember ~~ the dealers normally use air to install the wheels and they are usually set to 65 ft #. I torque my wheel lugs to 120 ft #. Make sure of proper torque prior to leaving the dealer.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

I have sixteen thousand miles on my Castle Rocks , no problems so far !!
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
I have sixteen thousand miles on my Castle Rocks , no problems so far !!
and I believe you are in the majority. It was hard changing to Carlisle because I read so much about Trailer King failures. Especially hard as they had only come from the factory 14 months prior and had but 5400 miles. Dealers will put 400,000 units on the road this year, about the same as last year. With that many from those suppliers going out there has to be a large number if even a tiny percentage fail.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire