Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Ac drain

I have a 2004 flagstaff 8528BHSS. Currently living in it full-time. Since I’ve ran the ac this past month the ac had been dripping down the side of the 5th wheel. At times it can be a pretty steady stream for a few seconds as the ac turns off. I’m new to rving and I’m not sure if this is where the ac is supposed to drain. Is there something I need to do to correct this? If not normal where is the ac supposed to drain?
Thanks
RVNOOB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #2

a/c drain

the roof of your rv should have a slight crown to it that will alow the water to drain to one to one side or the other,there where there are small channels that form a gutter to direct the water to the front or rear of the rv,my tt gas little down spouts to let it drip a inch or so away from the side,check those channel for debris
Old 05-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Your A/C drains on the roof and gravity will then determine where it eventually runs off. If you have gutters, it should drain at one of the unit where the gutter ends. if it drains in the middle of a gutter it is likely clogged,

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As the A/C runs, it pulls moisture out of the air inside the R/V and creates condensate. (water)

That water then runs out the drain holes in the A/C unit/shroud (on the roof) and continues to run off the roof just as any water would do. (such as rain)

As Flybob mentioned, gravity takes over and wherever the low point on the roof is located, the water will drip/run off. Depending on the levelness of your R/V and the location of the A/C unit on the roof, it might run off the back, the front or anywhere really.

The reason you get a little more water flow than dripping when the A/C unit shuts off is because when the A/C unit is running, the fan is sucking air through the unit and that suction holds a slight amount of condensate inside the A/C unit. When the A/C unit shuts off and consequently the fan shuts off, it allows that slight amount of pooled water in the shroud to be released to the drain holes and run off the roof. (again, all effects of gravity)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Ac drainage

Thank you all for your help
I looked Into it and it looked like there was a repair done were the ac runs off to. the water was pooling up on the roof and eventually running off when it pooled up enough(about 2 cups with of water). The putty used to repair it caused it to not to drain correctly. I cleaned up and dried the area and used flex seal spray to coat a path to the gutter of the fifth wheel. Now it runs through the coated path and into the gutter. So now gravity seems to be doing its thing like mentioned.😀
Old 05-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNOOB89 View Post
Thank you all for your help
I looked Into it and it looked like there was a repair done were the ac runs off to. the water was pooling up on the roof and eventually running off when it pooled up enough(about 2 cups with of water). The putty used to repair it caused it to not to drain correctly. I cleaned up and dried the area and used flex seal spray to coat a path to the gutter of the fifth wheel. Now it runs through the coated path and into the gutter. So now gravity seems to be doing its thing like mentioned.[emoji3]
I realize you said you were new to R/Ving so I will take that into consideration.

If you are referring to the flex seal spray stuff "as seen on tv" you really shouldn't be using that ANYWHERE on a R/V. It is NOT made for permanent repairs. Even says so on the product.

There are several R/V specific roof sealants made specifically for that purpose and also tape such as Eternabond.

There has been LOTS of prior discussions on roof sealants. A search will give you days of reading.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Ac drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I realize you said you were new to R/Ving so I will take that into consideration.

If you are referring to the flex seal spray stuff "as seen on tv" you really shouldn't be using that ANYWHERE on a R/V. It is NOT made for permanent repairs. Even says so on the product.

There are several R/V roof sealants made specifically for that purpose and also tape such as Eternabond.

There has been LOTS of prior discussionson roof sealants. A search will give you days of reading.
I was not aware of this. I was only using the flex seal as a bandaid until I could purchase the roof sealant. I will also look into the eternabond tape. There are a few spots on the roof that look like they could use it.
Thanks

Tags
drain