Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #1

adding a step between risers

anyone ever attach a step in between the 9" riser steps on a morryde step? my wife had back surgery and cant lift her legs very far. i am contemplating adding a step between the current 9" risers thereby making each step a 4" riser. i think i can do this by adding 1 1/2" X 4 angle iron them mount a 2 x 6 in the angle iron. per morryde my 2021 flagstaff classic 832flsb to low for the 4 step. i currently have the 3 step. my other more expensive option is to see about getting some kind of lift... thought about ramps but i am not sure they would work.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by testersbc View Post
anyone ever attach a step in between the 9" riser steps on a morryde step? my wife had back surgery and cant lift her legs very far. i am contemplating adding a step between the current 9" risers thereby making each step a 4" riser. i think i can do this by adding 1 1/2" X 4 angle iron them mount a 2 x 6 in the angle iron. per morryde my 2021 flagstaff classic 832flsb to low for the 4 step. i currently have the 3 step. my other more expensive option is to see about getting some kind of lift... thought about ramps but i am not sure they would work.
The 4 step Morryde is probably STILL 9” between steps, so I doubt that would fix things for you. I may be wrong.....I’ve been known to do that on occasion.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

They do make steps with 7" risers, don't know about the Mor Ryde line though.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #4

all i have found from morryde is 8" risers. still to high if you can't lift your legs
Old 05-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

I have the same problem. Fractured backs don't heal up much when you are on the uphill side of 60. Our solution is for me to be there as needed. Good luck.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

looking at several lifts also. they all run around 2k or up!
Old 05-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #7

Porta -Step mobile steps for use with morryde steps are available at RV-CO.com. They have 7" ride if that would help.
JPeebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
You are sort of on the right path.

Build 2 removable steps that can be placed on (hang down) two consecutive steps starting at the bottom. As your wife walks up, remove the lowest and place it next up. They need to be removable vs permanent or or staeps will not fold/close correctly. You will need to and a "U" at the end to hook on to the step back end to prevent it from slipping off as she steps on the new in between step. I'm sure you can understand what i am saying without actually drawing plans for you - I hope.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #9

Adding Riser

Tester,
If this being unable to lift feet is going to be ongoing and your believe the shallower risers will work. I would suggest looking into a local machine shop that could fabricate you a set of steps out of aluminum or steel that could be custom made to replace your existing steps. I might be wrong but it could be less than the $2K for a lift. My other thought is find a tech school welding class that might be looking for a project, see if they would design and make the stairs for you. Just a thought, I have had Auto Repair class do somethings on and old truck I used to have. I paid for materials. Good luck.
Frierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #10

Glowstep

Check out the Torklift Glowstep Revolution. Maybe this would work for you:

https://www.torklift.com/atv-marine-...tep-revolution

Bruce
Old 05-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Check out the Torklift Glowstep Revolution. Maybe this would work for you:

https://www.torklift.com/atv-marine-...tep-revolution

Bruce

I have these mounted on my trailer and REALLY like them. Very stable. If you have the bridge style that store inside your RV, they have an "uprising" version. Made of aluminum and stainless steel, mine are 3 years old and still look almost brand new. I understand you can even get a handrail for them.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Making a ramp should be easy to do but because of space restrictions the angle will be steeper than a wheelchair ramp. You could make the ramp so it sets parallel with the rv instead of sticking straight out from the door.

I made steps from 2" x 6" ptl and 5/8" deck boards for my seasonal site, the bottom step distance from the TT was 4'. This equates to 4 steps with 7-1/4" risers which is within standard construction specifics for stairs.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Not actually knowing what you have I went to morryde web site & took a look. Perhaps you could buy just the step part from morryde & put them in between, like you had suggested. Not sure how they mound, but I bet its doable!
Snoopy
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Making a ramp should be easy to do but because of space restrictions the angle will be steeper than a wheelchair ramp. You could make the ramp so it sets parallel with the rv instead of sticking straight out from the door.

I made steps from 2" x 6" ptl and 5/8" deck boards for my seasonal site, the bottom step distance from the TT was 4'. This equates to 4 steps with 7-1/4" risers which is within standard construction specifics for stairs.
scrapper that would be a good idea for a stationary trailer. would be kinda cumbersome taking it up and down each time you traveled.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #15

I do not believe your plan would work. The tread would be too short. To test your idea place a 2 x 4 at the level you are planning on installing the new step.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote