Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Adding Solar to Roof?

Hi all, Newby here - Flagstaff 5th Wheel, 529 BH
Looking at getting some solar panels. Camper is prewired with the plug on the side. Not sure if I want to have them installed on the roof and drop the cord down to the plug or just get a ground kit. Anyone have experience with having them added to the roof? I'm wondering about putting more holes in the roof. Is it a good idea or not?
Thx
Old 08-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Scoundrel

Adding solar to the roof of my Micro Lite was the best modification I did, particularly for the way I use my TT. I used a kit from Renogy just because it made it simple for a novice like myself to get started and do the initial install. With the chance that portable panels can grow legs and walk away I chose to secure them to the roof.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

I am planning my solar setup now. I am going to start off with at least 100W on the roof. This is primarily for charging while driving and while in storage. When we camp we usually park in the shade so rooftop panels will not work well.

Stage two will be to add on a suitcase (or two) so we can place them in the sun. I may even build a tracker for fun for the ground panels.

This setup will work well for the kind of camping we do. So far, we have at least a 30A connection. We would like to start boondocking when A/C is not needed. That would be spring and fall in my area.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Just remember that you need to add a charge controller before adding any solar panels, the dealership doesnít tell people this when purchasing a camper. If you donít include a charge controller and just plug your solar panel directly to the plug you may damage your batteries and/or have a fire or even blow up your battery!
Tim
Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #5

We have the portable suitcase and it works well. Looking to add to the roof as well and need to figure out the solar controller install and location. The portable works to charge up batteries once we're setup at the site, but would be nice to keep the batteries charged via roof solar when the unit is in storage.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Solar Panel Expansion Kit

I would like to add 2 190 watt panels (Go Power Solar Expansion Kits) to my 2022 E19FBS. Do I need to attach the brackets to locations where the roof trusses are or can I screw them anywhere on the roof? Also has anyone ordered a second panel as an option direct from the factory? Curious where they install the 2nd panel.
ptrusheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

Rockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrusheim View Post
I would like to add 2 190 watt panels (Go Power Solar Expansion Kits) to my 2022 E19FBS. Do I need to attach the brackets to locations where the roof trusses are or can I screw them anywhere on the roof? Also has anyone ordered a second panel as an option direct from the factory? Curious where they install the 2nd panel.
Recently took delivery of a 2893BS 5th wheel, sister to Flagstaff, yes we did order the second panel. They are placed in line with each other on the camp side of the 5th wheel. Not able to get you a picture as the camper is covered for the winter.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, solar