Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I often say finding the right dealer is often as important as finding the right R/V.

I'm not discounting in any way the quality of workmanship of some of these units from the factory. It is a total disgrace for something that is built in the USA.

On the other hand, the factory cranks them out and depends on the dealer to handle issues on delivery or within the warranty period. Then the other 'unfortunately' comes into play.... most dealers don't really care. They are not bound by the same principals as automotive dealers and for most part, once they get your money... see you later.

That's why I always advise... unless bottom dollar is your only interest... find a dealer who will help you through your issues. They are to be your 1st line of communication to the factory. You need to do your homework BEFORE purchasing. Don't rely on the salesman's word... they will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale. Visit the service department, talk with the service manager/technicians and the parts guys. Get a feel for what you'll be up against if you have problems.

To the OP... if you've exhausted your communication through the chain of command at the dealer, have you contacted the factory personally? There is contact information for every FR division on their web site.
I agree with this statement, however how does one know whether the dealer is going to stand behind it prior to having issues? Unfortunately, it becomes evident when problems start to arise. That is why I wanted the OP to post the dealer. That way perspective buyers would know this dealer is not willing to stand behind the product.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #22

Problems, Problems

I feel your pain! We purchased a ColemanBH, brand new, we pulled the plastic off of it...and it was in the shop 292 of the 364 days we owned it. It was a hassle and a headache every single time to get repairs done, from awning failure, to leaks upon leaks, to outdoor kitchen arms failing and on and on we go, could not to speak to anyone who accepted any responsibility, etc. I contacted the corporate headquarters and even then it was the run-a-round. In the end, they extended the warranty for 1 month, yes, 1 whole month, on the repairs they did eventually say they did. We gave up or gave in, I don't know which but we traded the thing in for a Shasta Phoenix BH 5th wheel with a reputable, family owned, small business who stands behind every single thing they sell and we have never looked back! Thankful for that buying experience. We are a month away from owning it for an entire year and I cant think of a single thing to complain about it. It may fall apart tomorrow but not one problem thus far. Good luck to you - I would trade that thing back in!!
Weezer3fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
I agree with this statement, however how does one know whether the dealer is going to stand behind it prior to having issues? Unfortunately, it becomes evident when problems start to arise. That is why I wanted the OP to post the dealer. That way perspective buyers would know this dealer is not willing to stand behind the product.
I'd rather find out personally (during a possible sales negotiation) rather than totally steer clear from some possible ill placed words on a forum.

5 minutes time in a dealer's service department will tell you a lot.

Watch how they handle customers. Listen to how they talk to someone on the phone. Speak with folks waiting for repairs. Any GOOD dealer will waltz you to that department and introduce you around. You'll soon get a feel for whether they will take care of you or give you the shaft.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #24

Having bought several forest river products, I have learned one thing - don't take delivery until YOU have tested every last thing that moves in the trailer. Some dealers will tell you that they have checked it all out. Don't believe them. They have water & sewer taps. Fill the fresh water tanks. Check the pumps. Operate the slides several times. Check all the drawers and doors. Check window shades. Have them plus the unit in and check the fridge, vents & a/c. Light the stove & oven. Check the radio & TV. Many of these things can be checked with it sitting on the lot. Many people get in a hurry to drive it home. My Rockwood mini-lite had issues even after I did all this. But at least you can say you did a thorough pre-delivery inspection. If the dealer won't agree to let you hook it up there on their lot to test these things, find one who will. That would be the first question I would ask the salesman before I stepped onto his lot. I had to wait a few days because one of the electric stabilizer jacks broke during this pre-inspection. I feel for your anguish. Some trailers are perfect and others aren't. Good luck.
WayUpHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #25

Same issues with our 2021 GeoPro

First RV ever. We bought a 2021 GeoPro FBS three weeks ago. The propane wont stay lit on the fridge and they say its a circuit board and there are none in stock and they have no idea of when they will be available. Also the black tank leaks! Good thing I filled it up to check. Taking it out Thursday for the first time and hope it all holds together after reading your experience.
Steve Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:03 AM   #26

Certified Inspectors

This is the exact reason why more and more people, including financial institutions, are having a 3rd party NRVIA Certified Inspector evaluate rigs. New and Used.
sylviachesterparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #27

Ours came with over torqued screws in the shower. Cracked the surround and pan. Dealership notified us of this problem after we did all the financial paperwork. That happened June 20th. Still waiting to get it repaired. Forest River says the parts were ordered. We feel your pain, were also let down by the lack of craftsmanship from something built in the USA. Cancelled our 5 year extended warranty after they said it would be September before the dealership could work on it due to backlog. Our RV cost a mere $18k compared to some on here that spent 5x as much and have even more issues. I don’t mind doing my own repairs. I know anything I do would be an improvement over what the factory did.
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #28

I understand parts failing and needing to be replaced , not a FR direct issue unless it continues.
But the installation of materials, parts and the pride in doing a good job is not there for most RVs.
It’s funny most American companies are proud and put stickers saying Built in the USA, Made in the USA but not RVs .

On the other hand I have heard many positive stories where FR stepped up and made the repairs. I also can admit FR has sent me parts to do my own repairs since the local dealer put me at the bottom of the list since I purchased my RV at another supplier.
I agree with doing a shake down at the dealership, some of the larger wholesalers and dealers will let you stay the night for a shake down and do repairs the following morning.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #29

Quote:
I often say finding the right dealer is often as important as finding the right R/V.

I'm not discounting in any way the quality of workmanship of some of these units from the factory. It is a total disgrace for something that is built in the USA.

On the other hand, the factory cranks them out and depends on the dealer to handle issues on delivery or within the warranty period. Then the other 'unfortunately' comes into play.... most dealers don't really care. They are not bound by the same principals as automotive dealers and for most part, once they get your money... see you later.

That's why I always advise... unless bottom dollar is your only interest... find a dealer who will help you through your issues. They are to be your 1st line of communication to the factory. You need to do your homework BEFORE purchasing. Don't rely on the salesman's word... they will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale. Visit the service department, talk with the service manager/technicians and the parts guys. Get a feel for what you'll be up against if you have problems.

To the OP... if you've exhausted your communication through the chain of command at the dealer, have you contacted the factory personally via email? (you mentioned a link) There is contact information for every FR division on their web site. You might try calling them. Things can get lost in cyberspace.

And as mentioned, mobile techs are a good alternative. (and sometimes a better primary!)
I am a toyota mechanic so I have no problem working on this trailer. And I totally agree to do your homework before purchasing and we definitely did. We heard through the grape vine and read online reviews/forums about the Camping World in Vacaville, Ca was great. But not for us. The last time my wife called she wanted to just SPEAK to someone and they "sales manager" was a total AHole to her. And yes I have emailed forest river already. still waiting. I am going to call next.
MrShmichaelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I understand parts failing and needing to be replaced , not a FR direct issue unless it continues.
But the installation of materials, parts and the pride in doing a good job is not there for most RVs.
It’s funny most American companies are proud and put stickers saying Built in the USA, Made in the USA but not RVs .

On the other hand I have heard many positive stories where FR stepped up and made the repairs. I also can admit FR has sent me parts to do my own repairs since the local dealer put me at the bottom of the list since I purchased my RV at another supplier.
I agree with doing a shake down at the dealership, some of the larger wholesalers and dealers will let you stay the night for a shake down and do repairs the following morning.
I would be totally happy with forest river sending me parts and doing my own repairs. Thats actually what I prefer.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchin View Post
Ours came with over torqued screws in the shower. Cracked the surround and pan. Dealership notified us of this problem after we did all the financial paperwork. That happened June 20th. Still waiting to get it repaired. Forest River says the parts were ordered. We feel your pain, were also let down by the lack of craftsmanship from something built in the USA. Cancelled our 5 year extended warranty after they said it would be September before the dealership could work on it due to backlog. Our RV cost a mere $18k compared to some on here that spent 5x as much and have even more issues. I don’t mind doing my own repairs. I know anything I do would be an improvement over what the factory did.
Oh wow thats rough. I know its a combination of more people are buying RV's than ever and the dealership is backed up, factories are struggling to stay open etc. but the quality of craftsmanship is down the drain. I was shocked after we started to figure out all these little issues. Don't get me wrong the trailer has top of the line tires, wheels, axle, frame, fan, microwave, etc but then they cut corners on everything else. Crazy.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nielsen View Post
First RV ever. We bought a 2021 GeoPro FBS three weeks ago. The propane wont stay lit on the fridge and they say its a circuit board and there are none in stock and they have no idea of when they will be available. Also the black tank leaks! Good thing I filled it up to check. Taking it out Thursday for the first time and hope it all holds together after reading your experience.
Good luck! I would bring a bag of tools. Extra zip ties, duct tape, wire, etc just in case you need to trail fix something to get you through. I hope you guys have fun!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayUpHigh View Post
Having bought several forest river products, I have learned one thing - don't take delivery until YOU have tested every last thing that moves in the trailer. Some dealers will tell you that they have checked it all out. Don't believe them. They have water & sewer taps. Fill the fresh water tanks. Check the pumps. Operate the slides several times. Check all the drawers and doors. Check window shades. Have them plus the unit in and check the fridge, vents & a/c. Light the stove & oven. Check the radio & TV. Many of these things can be checked with it sitting on the lot. Many people get in a hurry to drive it home. My Rockwood mini-lite had issues even after I did all this. But at least you can say you did a thorough pre-delivery inspection. If the dealer won't agree to let you hook it up there on their lot to test these things, find one who will. That would be the first question I would ask the salesman before I stepped onto his lot. I had to wait a few days because one of the electric stabilizer jacks broke during this pre-inspection. I feel for your anguish. Some trailers are perfect and others aren't. Good luck.
Definitely some great advice. Anyone who is looking to buy I would do exactly this. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShmichaelman View Post
I am a toyota mechanic so I have no problem working on this trailer. And I totally agree to do your homework before purchasing and we definitely did. We heard through the grape vine and read online reviews/forums about the Camping World in Vacaville, Ca was great. But not for us. The last time my wife called she wanted to just SPEAK to someone and they "sales manager" was a total AHole to her. And yes I have emailed forest river already. still waiting. I am going to call next.
The emboldened sentence speaks volumes.

The consensus on this forum (and others) say Camping World (in general) is not so great for anyone.

I hope FR helps you find an amicable solution to your issues. I have serious doubts Camping World will. Best of luck to you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #35

Quote:
I'd rather find out personally (during a possible sales negotiation) rather than totally steer clear from some possible ill placed words on a forum.

5 minutes time in a dealer's service department will tell you a lot.

Watch how they handle customers. Listen to how they talk to someone on the phone. Speak with folks waiting for repairs. Any GOOD dealer will waltz you to that department and introduce you around. You'll soon get a feel for whether they will take care of you or give you the shaft.
I kinda disagree. Reason is that when we were there at the dealership it was red carpet and cold water every 5 minutes for everyone. We watched how not only the sales department but the service and parts counter operated and the ladies at the front desk answering phones. it was great. Then you leave paradise, drive 3 hours home and your a nuisance. They know when they get your money there isn't S*#@ you can do.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer3fam View Post
I feel your pain! We purchased a ColemanBH, brand new, we pulled the plastic off of it...and it was in the shop 292 of the 364 days we owned it. It was a hassle and a headache every single time to get repairs done, from awning failure, to leaks upon leaks, to outdoor kitchen arms failing and on and on we go, could not to speak to anyone who accepted any responsibility, etc. I contacted the corporate headquarters and even then it was the run-a-round. In the end, they extended the warranty for 1 month, yes, 1 whole month, on the repairs they did eventually say they did. We gave up or gave in, I don't know which but we traded the thing in for a Shasta Phoenix BH 5th wheel with a reputable, family owned, small business who stands behind every single thing they sell and we have never looked back! Thankful for that buying experience. We are a month away from owning it for an entire year and I cant think of a single thing to complain about it. It may fall apart tomorrow but not one problem thus far. Good luck to you - I would trade that thing back in!!
wow I feel your pain. That must have been so frustrating. I know my wife would have probably choked someone out. What bothers me, like you said, nobody can take responsibility. Cars can be lemons, trailers can be watermelons. But I am glad it worked out in the end for you.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #37

Certainly more than once that the wife and I regretted selling our 2007 Jayco and getting a Cherokee in 2017. All I did to the Jayco was replaced the Vent lids on the roof in 2016...Sun baked and started cracking. Two of the locks that hold the storage doors open broke and I replaced those in 2016. Besides that, that was about all the maintenance I had to do....outside of normal brakes and grease bearings. The Cherokee, the 110 electrical failed after the first trip out. Took a month to get dealer to fix it. Started losing trim all over the slides due to missing or stripped out screws. Dinette bed collapsed with son and his wife sleeping on it. (tore it out and rebuilt myself with 2x4 and tossed their cheap 2x2 supports. FW tank almost fell out and son and I welded in better supports . Two cabinet doors in the bedroom fell apart and I had to glue and screw them back together. Our Cherokee is now 150 miles to the south of us, being enjoyed by a young couple with 4 small boys. Hopefully they can spend more time enjoying it and not fixing things like I had to.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #38

I have an EPro 19FB that we purchased last year. I see from your comment that you purchased in Vacaville. We bought ours from Nohrs RV in Tracy.
They were really good to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if they're at all close to where you are....

We did a lot of research and visited a lot of dealers and the RV Show and really felt like we knew what we were getting into....I was still shocked at the level of craftsmanship (or lack thereof) in some of the areas...storage areas, screws not attached to anything, drawer bottoms, etc.

I didn't do any warranty stuff, but every time I've called Nohr's with questions or anything, they've been really responsive.
Good luck!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShmichaelman View Post
We literally just got our trailer back after using it one time and the water pump went out on the first day of dry camping. fun right? The dealership did warranty the pump but blamed it on me and not understanding the water saver device in the shower. Which is completely false. They tried to tell me that I left it on and burned the pump up. I told them that water doesn't run through that valve unless the shower faucet is on and we would have heard the pump running constantly as well. they then told me that it was caused by the outdoor shower because the faucet was left open. That was true BUT I had left the faucet on because i was so frustrated trying to get the pump to prime any way i could and being 4 hours from any repair shop dry camping and the water pump stops working on a BRAND NEW $30k trailer. Anyways I digress.... Here is the current issue. Our trailer has been in our driveway since returning from the shop and I opened the slide out last night and this happened. What is going on? Has anyone had the slide out seal join you in the kitchen? Why is this brand new trailer having so many issues? It hasn't been just the pump and this. Several small electrical issues have occurred. Does anyone know how to fix this seal issue? The dealership said they are going to have to remove part of the slide out face on the outside but I am not sure. Thanks for reading.
You may want to look up your state’s lemon law and let your dealer know you want a refund or you will pursue the matter with your State’s attorney general.
Projectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #40

RV Quality is crap.....Period. Been camping for a lot of years, and have sworn I would never buy another RV a couple of times, we but just like camping too much. I keep hoping that someone will come along that will give the RV Manufactures a wake-up call, just like Toyota and Honda did to the Big 3 car guys.

But I've been wishing that for over 20 years.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote