Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
The idea of the antifreeze is to displace any water in the lines. No reason to leave it under pressure, and as long as you have adequately pumped it through the system, you can open all of the drains and faucets and let it drain out. You don't need to keep the system "full". That will not add any protection, although it probably doesn't hurt anything. Most freeze damage occurs at fittings which can't take the expansion of freezing water. As long as the antifreeze has passed through, you won't have an issue.
Would it be possible for condensation to pool in low points and cause an issue? Note: I have never even added or flushed with antifreeze, I just blow out with air, close all the faucets and leave low point drains open. I'm in western Oregon though and might see 20F once a winter. I've never had an issue, but with winter humidity above 90% where I live...just wondering.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Would it be possible for condensation to pool in low points and cause an issue? Note: I have never even added or flushed with antifreeze, I just blow out with air, close all the faucets and leave low point drains open. I'm in western Oregon though and might see 20F once a winter. I've never had an issue, but with winter humidity above 90% where I live...just wondering.
I doubt condensation would be an issue. Many people just do a blowout with success. I use the pink because that is what I'm used to doing, and have never had a problem. This discussion has happened a hundred times on these pages. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with condensation. My personal opinion is there is less chance of a problem pumping anti-freeze throughout the system. I have blown out the system if I needed to winterize for a very short time, but otherwise if it's going to sit for months I use the pink. I live in Colorado, and it has been known to get to 20 below here. FYI

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, winter, winterizing