Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #1

Batteries not providing power to RV, advice?

Good day all. I'm sure this is completely a user error as this is only my first week with my 25FKBS, but can someone help me get battery power to the RV?
This one is equipped with the 12V fridge and solar package. Once I unplug from camp in dead in the water. Fuses are all good, batteries are charged, battery disconnect is on (green). I can't find the exact info in the owners manual or online.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Kaneman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

Assuming nothing else 12 volts works in the trailer? Follow the positive lead from the battery disconnect switch under the trailer. Look for a 12v circuit breaker. There might be a little plastic pin sticking out the side. Push that pin in to reset the circuit breaker:
Attached Images

NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman82 View Post
Good day all. I'm sure this is completely a user error as this is only my first week with my 25FKBS, but can someone help me get battery power to the RV?
This one is equipped with the 12V fridge and solar package. Once I unplug from camp in dead in the water. Fuses are all good, batteries are charged, battery disconnect is on (green). I can't find the exact info in the owners manual or online.

Thanks in advance everyone!
This is a very common question. More often or not, there is a battery fuse on all trailers between the battery and the converter which is usually located near the power center on most RVs (I am referring to the converter). The fuse is usually a push button type fuse covered with a red rubber insulator cover. On my Coachman it is located on the A-frame about 4 feet from the battery. For a more detailer explanation do a search in this forum under Battery fuse. Good luck!
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Assuming nothing else 12 volts works in the trailer? Follow the positive lead from the battery disconnect switch under the trailer. Look for a 12v circuit breaker. There might be a little plastic pin sticking out the side. Push that pin in to reset the circuit breaker:
That circuit breaker was among the first things I replaced on my TT along with the residential J-box for all the umbilical cord connections.

Easy to see if it's tripped and far easier to reset.

Where I live we have rain regularly and things under the trailer get wet. Electrical items need to be more "Marine Grade" and "residential" just doesn't cut it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the help everyone. There's no breaker box or fuse reset that I can find anywhere underneath. We did go through heavy rain on the way here so maybe something did get tripped?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #6

Called service at the dealer, they were at a loss too. I thought I was doing something wrong, but it looks like it's an actual problem
Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #7

There are big amp (probably 40) fuses in the converter called reverse polarity fuses. If one of them blew, you won't get any 12 volts from or to the battery.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

I took the cover off the converter, didn't see the fuses. Do I need to unscrew and pull the actual converter box?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

Took the converter out, there's nothing behind it. There are two 40amp fuses in the main fuse panel and they're intact.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #10

In my Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL I found a 30a fuse inside the junction box where the main power cord to the truck came into the trailer. Not sure it would cause your symptoms but it kept my trailer batteries from charging during driving.
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

I found a fuse like that but it was intact.
So: I get power when plugged in to the camp. I get power when plugged into my truck. Otherwise zero power.

Forest River couldn't figure it out over the phone either. I'm now waiting on a call from their electrician.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
Site Team

You need to test the fuses with a meter. It is sometimes hard to tell if a fuse is good by looking at it. Post a photo of your fuse panel showing fuses.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman82 View Post
I found a fuse like that but it was intact.
So: I get power when plugged in to the camp. I get power when plugged into my truck. Otherwise zero power.

Forest River couldn't figure it out over the phone either. I'm now waiting on a call from their electrician.
So when unplugged from shore power, no 12VDC, when plugged into shore power, 12VDC. So this sounds like the converter is working.

When plugged in via the 7 pin, you have 12VDC.

Overall it sounds like your batteries are isolated. If you have a multimeter, can you test voltage at the battery then at the DC side of the panel.

The batteries are just one item on the DC bus that is capable of feeding current to the DC side of the panel. The issue is being able to supply enough current should high current items need it. If that happens, and the batteries are isolated, you run into a voltage drop and items suffer as a result. Lights dim, other items just stop working until the voltage returns (thus the excess current draw ends).
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #14

Do you have a disconnect for the battery
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #15

He said that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Do you have a disconnect for the battery
Billy, in the first post, the OP reported that the battery disconnect switch was on (green).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Billy, in the first post, the OP reported that the battery disconnect switch was on (green).
I realize that after I posted it
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #17

When my daughter got her used trailer home, she had the same problem. There was a 40 amp fuse under the front of the trailer that had to be replaced.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #18

Any update on this?
We had our first trip of the season this past weekend. Had everything set up and working here at the house when I de-winterized. Got to the campsite and couldn't figure out why I had no 12V power. After about 10 minutes of fretting, I realized I had switched the battery disconnect. I felt like a moron. Not the first time though. lol
I see you have already checked the disconnect. hopefully its something simple.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #19

Not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Any update on this?
We had our first trip of the season this past weekend. Had everything set up and working here at the house when I de-winterized. Got to the campsite and couldn't figure out why I had no 12V power. After about 10 minutes of fretting, I realized I had switched the battery disconnect. I felt like a moron. Not the first time though. lol
I see you have already checked the disconnect. hopefully its something simple.
Howie, you had probably towed with the battery disconnected. This is NOT a good thing to do. If the trailer comes loose from the car, its brakes automatically go full on, BUT ONLY if the battery is connected and charged.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Howie, you had probably towed with the battery disconnected. This is NOT a good thing to do. If the trailer comes loose from the car, its brakes automatically go full on, BUT ONLY if the battery is connected and charged.
Yes I realize that. Hence one of the reasons I said I felt like a moron.

Can the safety police write me a ticket after the fact?

Tags
batteries, power