Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #21

Everyone's got their own opinions on this, and it comes down to how you want to spend money, and what works for your sleep.

I'm an 'optimize what you've got' guy. Walmart up a 4" topper and try it out (we did this, and the camper is the best sleep I get). If it doesn't work for you, return the topper and get your cash back, and then shop pricier alternatives (like a whole new mattress). In our hybrid, our mattresses are folding (for storage and shipping, and one half is actually thinner than the other half, to level out the sleeping surface). I don't think this height issue is particularly important, but it works for us now.

Side benefit of A topper OR a new mattress: Both help keep the OEM mattress fresher for resale.

Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #22
NPR

We have used this in two trailers and really like it. New matress would probably be better but this makes us both comfortable and is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Memory-Fo...e&athbdg=L1200
Old 04-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
If you truly want a good nights sleep, then you purchase the same mattress that your sleeping on in your house.
^^^^ This. You could end up spending more money on toppers and different mattresses before you find one like the one in your house.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR View Post
We have used this in two trailers and really like it.
Close enough! We use the 4" version... Looks like they've had a price increase since we purchased, but worth it (AND you can trim to fit, if you find you have an RV Queen, instead of a regular queen size).
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #25
Dahagen

I bought a Sleep Number short queen mattress a few years ago and it works great in the motorhome. A little pricey, but my wife and I like different firmness levels It also doesn't weigh as much as a regular mattress.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just spent the first two nights on a new 8" Zinus mattress and slept comfortably for first time since I bought trailer.

Best $200 I've spent in a long time.
Which Zinus did you get? We were looking at them recently but weren't sure which one to go with.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #27

We also stated out with a topper. Still not much better,
Purchaed the following,
way better, great matress, hope it holds up. It is currently on special at 50 %off, great deal. Good luck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09MBC81HD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A125SGMIRQBJXN&psc=1
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #28

Made in the USA … currently sleeping *very* comfortable on our Parklane. https://www.parklanervmattresses.com/
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:10 PM   #29
Someimes Re- member

We have had great success with a LATEX Topper

LATEX toppers are the best for us. Latex is a natural foam (derived from tree sap) that is usually what is used in hospitals. It is non-alergenic, and retains it's springiness much longer than synthetic foams (Polyurethane of Memory foam).
Latex also breathes (it is formed with penetrating holes) and does not absorb moisture, so you sleep dryer and more comfortably. Latex toppers are available in various thickness and various firmness.
We added a 3" med soft Latex topper to our original RV 6" polyurethane foam mattress and it is the best we have tried. We also sleep on a full thickness Latex mattress a home with various density and firmness layers thruout the mattress.
Old Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:20 PM   #30
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingav8r View Post
OK all you experienced folks out there. what's the best way to make a travel trailer mattress comfortable?? I don't like Memory Foam too much. Wife says the brand new TT mattress is way to hard, but she won't spend 2k on one she really likes. (I would spend it but I'd rather not). Give me some ideas folks. Please.
My Pillow Topper FTW
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #31

Changed our mattress

Two nights on our OEM mattress were too many. Purchased a short queen for our murphy bed from https://wildernessrvmattress.com/pro...tana-pillowtop. Delighted!!
Dan in Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #32

Foamonline.com

Foamonline.com

These folks are great to deal with and very reasonable. They will custom make your mattress with varying layers of foam and supply ticking. I opted to save some money and got two layers of stock queen size foam in varying firmness and cut it down to Rv size with an electric carving knife and reused the zipper ticking from the old mattress. The stock mattress was rubberized batting. My Rv is mattress is equal to the high dollar on I have at home. I did add a memory firm topper as well. I used a 4” firm and a 2” medium then the topper.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #33

We added a 2 inch cooling gel mattress topper. It's a little firmer than than the typical memory foam one and you don't sink into it.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:40 PM   #34

Look at the Dynasty mattress sold on Amazon, we wanted to upgrade our 5 th wheel, and was suprised at how comfortable this was. Our was a short Queen fit perfectly. Says this is a premium mattress used in motor homes?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #35

I bought a regular queen size wedge that goes underneath the Seeley mattress that came with the trailer. The wedge is a foam product that runs from 5 inches where your heads are to one inch at your feet. You can make the trailer perfectly level and still maintain that slight elevation effect for sleeping. The wedge maintains it’s support ability and increases the comfort level of the mattress. It cost me $99.00 at Target Online, free shipping and a 60 day return if not satisfied To Any Target Store. We have had this wedge for two years and we have been full time RV’ers with it for one year. We would no trade it for any other RV mattress.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
If you truly want a good nights sleep, then you purchase the same mattress that your sleeping on in your house.
x2

And the same pillows.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #37

As other's have noted, the choice of mattress and "mattress additions" is a very personal choice. With that said, here's what we've done. I picked up a couple of Coleman self inflating pads and added them to the top of our mattress. Made a significant difference in comfort while having only a minor effect on overall thickness (an import factor for a pop up camper). I simple loosen the valve before closing up the camper so that the air in the pad can be readily squeezed out.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
x2

And the same pillows.
We take our pillows with us…. The weight restrictions on my hitch and axles would only allow me a choice between the home type mattress and the comfort gear for any excursion. The wedge makes things perfect without adding a lot of weight… we will go with the wedge and fun gear… the home mattress makes it good to come home again… enjoy your heavy duty …. Whatever!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:49 PM   #39

For us, the best way to make a travel trailer mattress comfortable was to throw it out. We bought a very comfortable RV king mattress on Amazon and it basically inflated in place. Would absolutely do it again and we didn't spend anything near $2,000. It gone up a little since then, we paid around $500. But here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingav8r View Post
OK all you experienced folks out there. what's the best way to make a travel trailer mattress comfortable?? I don't like Memory Foam too much. Wife says the brand new TT mattress is way to hard, but she won't spend 2k on one she really likes. (I would spend it but I'd rather not). Give me some ideas folks. Please.
Put a topper on it. That or replace mattress. What other choice do you have?
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote