Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 10:02 PM   #41

We put 3 inch memory foam toppers on our Rockwood Roo mattresses which improved our sleep very much. However, we found that a white noise machine made more difference than any mattress we’ve ever tried.
BlueDeuce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:08 AM   #42

As mentioned, every one has different comfort levels. We started out small and cheap - 1.5 " foam pad from Walmart and were shocked that it was enough for us. That's great because our bed folds up (hybrid trailer) and we can do it with the pad on. My sister travels with us frequently and brings a 3" memory foam. Can't fold it up so that's a bummer but at least it's only a single size.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:53 AM   #43

I am not sure a comfortable mattress can be too expensive?

I have learned over many years that there are mattress manufacturers everywhere. Find one or more in your area and explore their products. Here in the Portland OR area I purchase from Parklane. They manufacturer several RV mattresses and will make to order if you so desire. More expensive, yes! Worth the expense, yes!

We who own RVs and TTs are living on discretionary income, don't be so cheap as to be detrimental to your well being.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:36 AM   #44

Totally wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
LATEX toppers are the best for us. Latex is a natural foam (derived from tree sap) that is usually what is used in hospitals. It is non-alergenic, and retains it's springiness much longer than synthetic foams (Polyurethane of Memory foam).
Latex also breathes (it is formed with penetrating holes) and does not absorb moisture, so you sleep dryer and more comfortably. Latex toppers are available in various thickness and various firmness.
Old Coyote. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
I've been an anesthesia practioner working in ORs for over 44 years and we have patients on a regular basis with severe allergies to latex. Many to the point of life threatening anaphylaxis from even minor exposures to it! Being a "natural" (as you pointed out) plant derived substance it contains proteins that individuals may be sensitized to. When these folks are scheduled for surgery a big warning is attached to their chart and an armband applied to their wrist to alert us to their latex allergies. We then make it a point to exclude any latex containing items from the surgical and anesthesia setup. This includes latex gloves and catheters.
Also, it is *NOT* "usually what is used in hospitals" as you say. The use of latex containing items is becoming more and more rare in hospitals as time goes on.
Please get your facts correct before you mislead folks.
suprane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:10 AM   #45

Comfy sleep

I have arthritis and doc told me to get a pillow top for home. I purchased a pillow topper for the rv with a padded mattress cover and it helped tremendously. It was also cheaper than a new mattress for weekending. We’ll probably get a new mattress when we retire and travel more but this is so much better for now.
RoadTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #46

Our Mattress

We immediately replaced ours with a Molecule mattress from Costco. Spent about $500 but it was well worth it as we were miserable until then. Waking up sore while camping is no fun.
mtkbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #47

Mattress and frame upgrade

In our 2007 fr grorgetown we replaced the queen size mattress with a residential mattress - it fits with just a little squish when slide goes in. But the biggest upgrade was with the bed frame, it has a very thin plywood top that sags in the middle. My wife and I are not heavy folks but it happens. I reinforced the base with 2x4’s and sleep much better now.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #48

TT mattress

We're on our 4th trailer, the last 2 being toy haulers. We bot a 8" thick queen size foam mattress and we take it/move it with us whenever we buy a new trailer. When not camping we use our TT as our guest house and everyone who stays with us says it's the best night of sleep they've gotten. We agree.

Now when using our pull out sofa, we took a 4" foam mattress/topper and using an electric knife cut it to fit. Works like a charm.

Connie
All American Eagle Toy Hauler
FL
BillConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingav8r View Post
OK all you experienced folks out there. what's the best way to make a travel trailer mattress comfortable?? I don't like Memory Foam too much. Wife says the brand new TT mattress is way to hard, but she won't spend 2k on one she really likes. (I would spend it but I'd rather not). Give me some ideas folks. Please.
Be careful of adding anything that changes the size of existing mattress. If your bed is in a slide the addition of a topper or changing mattress size could cause damage to your RV/trailer.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #50

Mattress Topper

Wow, lots of input on this topic. LOL

We bought a 3" latex mattress topper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 $275

Oh yeah, we also have a 2" Ventilated Gel Infused Memory Foam Topper. $40

Oh and we have a Bamboo Mattress Topper Queen with 1 pillow protector cooling pillow top mattress protector cover pad. $45.

But I slept like a baby. Very comfortable.

Our TT has a Murphy Bed and it seems to fit OK but I'm concerned it's causing issues with the hinge.

2022 Flagstaff MicroLite 25BRDS

2018 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 4WD 3.42 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
boeingav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:00 AM   #51

Quote:
But I slept like a baby. Very comfortable.

Our TT has a Murphy Bed and it seems to fit OK but I'm concerned it's causing issues with the hinge.
I had a 3" topper on my Murphy Bed mattress for almost 4 years and I use my trailer a lot more than most. No issues whatever with the hinge.

I've since replaced mattress and topper in favor of an 8" "memory foam" mattress.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #52

This is the wife replying. :-) I bought us a latex topper after the foam and bamboo cover did not work for me. I bought a 3 inch latex, cost 250 plus tax. Ouch. My husband thinks it is super comfortable. It seems squishy and yet my shoulders are killing me. I hurt all of the time...car accidents etc. Shoulder was better now hurting again. Im trying to find out if latex toppers are all diff. I need something very soft.

2018 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 4WD 3.42 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #53

Wife responding...What kind of pillow topper? My shoulders are killing me. Ive got 3 layers on the bed so far and Im still hurting.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Wife responding...What kind of pillow topper? My shoulders are killing me. Ive got 3 layers on the bed so far and Im still hurting.

I ordered a regular queen size from Belk. That’s where I also got the pillow top mattress pad. Love them.
RoadTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #55

Rebuilt Mattress

On our first 5th wheel I took the mattress to a local mattress company here in OKC. They totally rebuilt it and my wife and I still say that it is the best mattress we have ever slept on. You might try that. It was in 05 and was around 200-250 to rebuild it. Not sure what it would be these days.
ggleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Roadrunner View Post
Be careful of adding anything that changes the size of existing mattress. If your bed is in a slide the addition of a topper or changing mattress size could cause damage to your RV/trailer.
X2 - our bed slides under the closet in the bedroom, barely, with really nothing to spare!
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #57

Murphy Bed

Our TT has a Murphy Bed and right now with the toppers on the bed, I do worry about the extra weight on the hinges. And it's so thick now that it binds up on the wall when we lower the bed.