Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

C pap power source 25FKS

Hi, I just purchased a 2021 Flagstaff 25FKS and will need to install a 12V plug for my C-Pap in the bedroom. Can anyone suggest the best place to source the power for this?
Bill H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:51 AM   #2

There are several discussions in these forums. Many decided that a portable power station gives them the most dependable source of power in case of power failure. They recharge them during the day.
If you're not worried about power failure, a simple ac to dc converter might work.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. My need is more toward dry camping with no power. I am new to site and would like to read some of the posts on this topic. I will search around and see what I can find. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #4

Convert USB to USB+12v

My RV had some USB ports located near the bed. I converted one to a combo USB+12v. This particular model does not have a cap over the 12v port; I didn't think it was necessary for my particular situation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDDGCOE
Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #5

Great idea! I will have to see if mine has the USB port in the bed room (I haven't picked up the camper from the dealer yet) I hope it does, this would work perfect!
Old 01-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
Mopar Guy

check wire gauge size going to the usb ports, a cpap is not an insignificant power draw especially if its got a humidifier and heated hose.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Two CPAP users in our fifth wheel. Ran a dedicated line 14 wag to battery, one for each. The peak draw I measure with heater at half setting and full back pressure when exhaling was 9 amp @ 13.2 VDC , when voltage starts to drop to 12 VDC current went up to 12 amps. Fused at 15 at battery.

Resmed S9

Now there are some really small devices now that draw less and are very small. Looking at a pair of those when our turn comes up for new machines.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #8

I had to install 12V ports in our bedroom, our Avenger didn't have anything at all. Tapped into the 12V wiring under the camper where the battery tied into the 12V electrical system. Works good.

Don't use your humidifier if you're running on ships' battery... humidifier pulls a lot of power.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #9

Smile

Thanks everyone. I guess I need to get my camper home and see what options I have
Old 01-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Two CPAP users in our fifth wheel. Ran a dedicated line 14 wag to battery, one for each. The peak draw I measure with heater at half setting and full back pressure when exhaling was 9 amp @ 13.2 VDC , when voltage starts to drop to 12 VDC current went up to 12 amps. Fused at 15 at battery.

Resmed S9

Now there are some really small devices now that draw less and are very small. Looking at a pair of those when our turn comes up for new machines.
This is great information. The wire size is crucial for an install like this especially with as long of a run the install will be on this particular RV with the bedroom in the very back and the batteries at the very front.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #11

We use a primax portable power station for our C-pap machines. It has 2 110v outlets however only one is sinewave which is safe for electronics. We just use an extension cord and plug both machines into the sinewave outlet. The power station powers both machines for the weekend without needed recharged. We just charge it up when we return home for the next weekend trip.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #12

My wife has been using a CPAP for many years. Before I installed a whole trailer inverter I ran a heavy wire from the bedroom down to the ZAMP wires and tapped into that for 12v power. Having done that I could now plug a 150 watt power inverter into the "cigarette lighter" I just installed which was enough to run her cpap all night.

That arrangement worked perfectly until I installed a large inverter to power all my outlets when no shore power was available.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

OldBob, if she doesn't have a CPAP that will run on 12v, (My phillips does, just needed the right cord), when it comes time for a replacement, make sure you get the 12v input. Negates any need to run an inverter (which is not terribly efficient).

I think I tapped into the solar on the side wires too, was right on my side of Murphy bed.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power