Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 08:24 PM   #1

Can’t get air out of water lines

I have a 25FBLS and can’t seem to get the air out of my lines after dewinterizing. When hooked up to city water connector it runs fine thru all the plumbing. When I switch over to my fresh water tank and pump I get water for a short time then it seems like it runs out of water supply. I filled the tank more than 1/2 way so I know I have plenty of water. My water heater vale’s are in the normal position and my antifreeze value is set to draw water from the tank.

Any thoughts on what might be causing water not to get to the pump?
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
I have a 25FBLS and can’t seem to get the air out of my lines after dewinterizing. When hooked up to city water connector it runs fine thru all the plumbing. When I switch over to my fresh water tank and pump I get water for a short time then it seems like it runs out of water supply. I filled the tank more than 1/2 way so I know I have plenty of water. My water heater vale’s are in the normal position and my antifreeze value is set to draw water from the tank.

Double check that all valves in the correct position. If so, check the water heater relief valve and make sure it is closed. The only thing that will prevent suction from the tank is an open valve or the pumps check valve has gone bad.
bzac1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There is a screened filter bowl on the input side of the water pump. If the O-ring is rolled or the threaded connections leak, it will suck air and break the vacuum needed to draw water from the freshwater tank.

You might also try opening and closing a faucet nearest the water pump a couple of times while its running to create a demand that may get the water moving into the pump.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:33 PM   #4
Scoundrel

I had this EXACT thing happen while dewinterizing. I forgot that I left the valve to pull water from the fresh water tank, instead in the Antifreeze position from when I pulled antifreeze into the TT from last Fall. Hopefully yours is as simple as that.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, double check the valves.

If you are SURE you put enough water in the tank and didn't leave the tank drain valve open (so that it run back out) then you are sucking air someplace.

Checking the bowl is good advice. Also check other connections to the pump.
You may have had a critter chew a hole in the suction line from the tank to the pump. I have see that happen. It didn't leak water but it did suck air.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I had this EXACT thing happen while dewinterizing. I forgot that I left the valve to pull water from the fresh water tank, instead in the Antifreeze position from when I pulled antifreeze into the TT from last Fall. Hopefully yours is as simple as that.
My bet's on this option. There should be a suction hose to draw RV antifreeze from a jug. This is typically attached to a 1/4-turn ball valve that "chooses" either the "fresh tank" or the antifreeze jug. If this valve is not completely turned to the "fresh tank" input, it may suck air.

Ask me how I know.
In my defense, this latest rig is the first one I've owned that had this option...but still.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
My bet's on this option. There should be a suction hose to draw RV antifreeze from a jug. This is typically attached to a 1/4-turn ball valve that "chooses" either the "fresh tank" or the antifreeze jug. If this valve is not completely turned to the "fresh tank" input, it may suck air.

Ask me how I know.
In my defense, this latest rig is the first one I've owned that had this option...but still.
While we can't be sure... the OP did say it was set correctly. (see red above)

Old 04-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

If it is a bad pump check valve then this video may help you out with what needs to be done using a new check valve and shark bite fittings on your 1/2" pex line.

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #9

Have you tried filling tank to full

On my Flagstaff 26rbws the fresh water pump would not pump if my tank was at 1/2 or below. I since moved the pickup to the drain outlet and it will pump now till the tank is empty.
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #10

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I have tried them all and verified that all values are set in the right position. Unfortunately none of them solved the problem. I don’t have the filter on my pump as mentioned. I included a picture of it so you can see what I have.

At this point I am planning to take it back to the dealership and have them fix whatever is wrong. Hopeful it is something simple and they can resolve it while at wait for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5DC39C0-FB5C-4744-99D6-1B3D3E22BEE2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	271360  
Old 04-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I have tried them all and verified that all values are set in the right position. Unfortunately none of them solved the problem. I don’t have the filter on my pump as mentioned. I included a picture of it so you can see what I have.

At this point I am planning to take it back to the dealership and have them fix whatever is wrong. Hopeful it is something simple and they can resolve it while at wait for it.
What does that writing on the hose/line at the valve say?
Looks like it says something about port?
If that means the antifreeze port, you have the valve set (as it is in the photo) to pull from the port and not the fresh tank.

Can you pull the line off the intake side of the pump and blow air back through?
If so, the air should come out the antifreeze port in one direction of the valve and possibly make bubbles in your fresh tank the other way.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #12

Just put the end of the antifreeze hose into a bucket of water. See what happens.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:18 PM   #13

I agree, that valve appears to be in the wrong position.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:45 PM   #14

x4
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:31 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Just put the end of the antifreeze hose into a bucket of water. See what happens.
It may not be a loose/unconnected hose.

Many are connected permanently to a winterization port on the side of the R/V.

But the OP could connect a short hose to a bucket of water from that.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:26 PM   #16
Scoundrel

I believe the red hose that the valve is pointing to in the OP' photo is the antifreeze line....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #17

More good suggestions. Sorry I should have noted that I mis-labeled the lines that you see in the picture. The antifreeze line is actually the one on the right. I tested that using a hose and bucket of water as someone suggested.

I am going to try and below out the line with compressed air and see what happens.

I really think the problem is my water filter container is the issue. I noticed it does not completely fill leaving a little air pocket at the top which also where the output hose to the sinks, etc is. I see it bubbling when the faucet is open and pump running.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
More good suggestions. Sorry I should have noted that I mis-labeled the lines that you see in the picture. The antifreeze line is actually the one on the right. I tested that using a hose and bucket of water as someone suggested.

I am going to try and below out the line with compressed air and see what happens.

I really think the problem is my water filter container is the issue. I noticed it does not completely fill leaving a little air pocket at the top which also where the output hose to the sinks, etc is. I see it bubbling when the faucet is open and pump running.
Filter canisters will show air bubbles at the top when the Pump is sucking air.

My money is on an air leak somewhere between tank and pump intake. The issue is highly unlikely to be on the pressure side of the pump. If hooked up to City Water the pressure side of the pump has city water pressure all the way to the pump and if your water tank isn't filling by backflowing through the pump's check valve, again, look to the suction side. May well be a cracked fitting from winter freezing weather in an area that is above the level of water in your tank and doesn't leak water, just allows air to be sucked in.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #19

Is your hot water heater anode installed? I take mine out when I winterize.
PeteBrayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #20

We had the same problem, first trip out on a brand new trailer. Found through trail and error the water saver valve in the shower was not fully closed, open just enough to draw air into the system.

Couldn't believe it when we found the source but cured our problem.

Good luck.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water