Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #41
Grammar Pedant

When a person is buying an RV or vehicle, he needs to have his number. If he doesn't, then it's really hard for everyone. The dealership will try to figure out that person's number by pushing various features, plans, options ... this will probably be irritating to the buyer, but it was self-induced by that buyer not being prepared.

Once the buyer has his number, then it boils down to what a transaction ought to be: an agreement on the value of the item.

In CO, dealerships generally value the RVs more than I do, hence I cannot buy here. In other places, there is an agreement on value and we're able to do business. It's really that easy. It's not personal. It certainly doesn't bother me if a dealership can't meet my price. It's fair ... just as fair as me not meeting the dealership's price.

Sometimes I learn that I simply don't value an item in a way that's consistent with market pricing. It's one of the reasons I don't own a BMW, even though I really like the cars -- I have enough money to buy one, but I don't value them the way the market does, so there cannot be a voluntary transaction.

You can use out of state pricing to help you determine if your expectations are reasonable ... if your number is one that is realistic.

There is also time vs money. I generally have more time than money, so I am willing to spend my own time in an effort to save money. One of the areas that I apply this philosophy is RV purchase. As I mentioned above, CO is not a place where I can buy an RV, even though I live here.

I can generally travel around 800 miles a day. This has an incremental cost of about $200/day (assuming 15 mpg, $2.50/gal, and $70 for a cheap hotel). I don't include food because it turns out that I tend to eat regardless of whether I travel or not. So, an out and back trip is going to cost me about $400. If I can spend 2 days of my time and save thousands off the price, then this math is easy for me. Roadtrip! And, that's why I've bought 2 RVs in the past 7 years and neither has been in the same time zone where I live.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #42

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccarty11740 View Post
Anyone have any advice on how much to counter the dealers price? They are already the lowest prices around...They keep saying the owner is the only one who can take $$ off the price. They also he won't too. I'm trying to do 90% of this process over the phone/email so there is no surprises when I get there. I'm out here in the Bay Area of California.

Thanks
Do not, I repeat' Do not do it, only buy in person and make sure everything is fixed and repaired properly first, Make very sure everything works like it should before you sign on the line or hand over any moneys, All RV dealers are big Liars, And will not hesitate to blow smoke where the sun don't shine, No lawyer will help you, The RV Industrie is not the same as buying a car, When it leaves it's yours,
mikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer