Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Do most people use their water filters?

This is our first travel trailer after camping with a pop-up for 6 years so we don't really know anything about using a trailer. Our camper has a water filter hooked up in the pass-through by the water heater. We have never used water from our freshwater tank for drinking when we had the pop-up. We took a water filter pitcher that we used with water from the campground. Most of our trips were just a couple days long so we really didn't use that much drinking water so it was no big deal. We did use the water from the freshwater tank to cook with. Now, I'm not sure whether it seems worth it to keep buying filters for the one that is installed when we wouldn't be using it that much for drinking. Most of the water we would be using would be for washing dishes, cooking and taking showers. Plus, I don't know how the previous owners sanitized the system so I'm not sure if I trust drinking the water even if it does go through a filter. What do most of you do? If we decide not to use any filter at all, do we just leave the filter canister on the line and just not put any filter in it? I also heard of people having the canister blow off and flooding everything. What would you put on the line in place of the canister.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #2

If you have seen some of the filters I've had to change out just after a week of camping, you'd never even have the question!

Personally, we never drink water from any campground or the freshwater we bring. We drink only bottled water by the 5 gallon bottle. I do sanitize my water system each season, and I maintain the freshwater tank full at all time with our home water. When at a CG, hit the spigot with a bleach-water solution and then I purge a minimum of 10 gallons from the spigot and more if needed to clear the sediment. Then hook up our pressure regulator to the spigot, filter cell to that (we don't have a built-in unit on the current TT and I like it that way!), and then the hose. I then surge water 5-10 times through the filter and hose before connecting it to the camper to force out any sediment that broke through the filter element or charcoal dust if a new filter. Then I hook up the hose to the camper and purge the air out of lines by opening all faucets, and then the water heater is turned on.

Now the reason I carry freshwater from home, is that during breakdown I purge all the CG water out of our camper. I drain the HWH first, and then turn on the pump and run home water through everything. Our city water is delivered disinfected and a known water quality. After adopting this method I've never had an issue with sediment in the FW tank or any lines or any odors.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
WFD

Just do a search in the forums...you will see that yes...many many many of us use filters, just that a lot of us have chosen to bypass the onboard filter for all the problems associated with them, just do the search, tons of reading material there.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Yes, i use the filter and a water softener as well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

I don't put a filter in mine and I use an inline filter instead. I'm actually planning on removing it or bypassing it when I get my TT home this spring.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

I put a bypass on our water filter canister and use an inline one at the cg spigot. Even if you don't drink the water but only use it to shower, flush toilet, etc I'd still recommend a filter that reduces the iron in the water. Iron will stain your shower, toilet, and sink.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have used the on board filter for over ten years.
And yes I drink my fw tank water.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

I agree with Geotex1. The filters really get cruddy! We also drink bottled water, but use filtered water to brush teeth and cook. Highly recommend using filter.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
DDC

We use ours and I replace it twice each year, we drink the water also, mut say I have never purchased water to drink, just does not seem right buying something that falls from the sky for free.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

We had one of those humongous canister water filters under the BR sink in our 2304s. Found water pressure e.g. shower was insufficient. I removed the filter and voila, water pressure much better. We do not use campground water for consumption except for coffee and carry bottled water. Removing the large canister also gave more room for storage under BR sink.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #11

[QUOTE=DDC;786689]We use ours and I replace it twice each year, we drink the water also, mut say I have never purchased water to drink, just does not seem right buying something that falls from the sky for free.[/QUOTE
Exactly what I think !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

We have a water filter system and filtered water through the refrigerator and yes we drink the water

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #13

We use our home water AND use the filter. When we used CG water, we were replacing the filter twice a season. Now using home water, we're on our 2nd season with the same filter. We usually drink bottled water (because it's easier). Cook with tank water.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

We started RV'ing in 1970. We used an external filter before they started putting them in the units. I like to filter all the water it takes a lot of minerals out of the water so the hot water tank lasts longer.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #15

When we did our PDI for our new tt last spring we were warned how difficult it is to change the built in filter and the chance of leaking. So I bought an in line filter to put on the hose that the water goes thru before going into the tank. I also sanitize the tank. We use the water for everything and have had no problems. Plan on doing the same this season. On the other side of the question, my daughter in law won't drink water from their tank. She only uses bottled water. So I guess it's whatever you are comfortable with.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #16

Removed the water filter after the housing failed and unscrewed itself. It flooded the front end of the TT. I cut it out and use an inline filter. Would never have another water filter inside the TT. Water is not your friend.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
Plus, I don't know how the previous owners sanitized the system so I'm not sure if I trust drinking the water even if it does go through a filter.
Regardless of what the previous owner did or didn't do, why not sanitize the fresh water tank and system yourself ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
What do most of you do? If we decide not to use any filter at all, do we just leave the filter canister on the line and just not put any filter in it? I also heard of people having the canister blow off and flooding everything. What would you put on the line in place of the canister.
The water coming out of our fresh water tank is used for everything in our camper, including drinking, making ice, and brushing our teeth......but we do use bottled water for drinking if the campground water is "skunky". I sanitize the tank each spring while getting the camper ready for the season. The canister has never blown off, but I do use a pressure regulator when hooked up to campground water. For a time, I only used an inline water filter at the spigot, as the cheap water canister filters bought at Lowe's seemed to reduce the water flow.......at that time I only filled my fresh water tank from a trusted source.....home. But thanks to a post a couple of years ago by Triguy here, I started using a carbon block filter that maintains close to an unfiltered flow of water, plus it filters out cysts down to .5 microns. I replace it t every spring right after I finish the fresh water rinse after sanitizing.

Here is what I use (4th filter down): RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

Whether people feel safe using their fresh water system fully for it's intended use is up to each individuals personal preference. Regardless if the system is only used for cooking or showers, I would still recommend sanitizing the water system at least once per year, even more if filling from a non-chlorinated water system such as a well......the minute traces of chlorine should keep most bacteria at bay. When taking a shower, can anyone say positively that they don't get water in their mouths, and end up swallowing the water ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I have used the on board filter for over ten years.
And yes I drink my fw tank water.
X2 Us as well.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #19

We use the onboard filter and have not had any issues. Replacements can be found at Lowes.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Always used the onboard filter and drink , cook with the water. First time out i add 10 gallons of water, bleach and drive, dump tank and refill at the park. Tank is clean.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter