Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Does anyone use a satellite dish?

Any recommendations? When you travel do you need a homebase? What are steps to get set up? I prefer something light and do not want to to put it on the roof.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I use DirecTV

I use DirecTV. I also use a 18"X20" standard definition dish on a tripod. It depends which system you use, Direct or Dish Network. I take a receiver that works on standard definition with me. takes about 20 mins to set up. Or you can get one of the auto antenna pods for your system.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

I have a carry out satellite dish for DirecTV. It was spendy but well worth it if you can get a good view of the southern sky.
You will need a standard receiver for the unit also.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have DirecTV at home.

When frequenting places that I know don't have cable, I carry a HD (High Definition) DirecTV dish and take one of the receivers/DVR from the house.

When a customer has DirecTV and moves to another location, the dish stays behind and you take the receiver with you to the new house. Many dishes are hanging on the sides of houses that are useless.

I asked around and found several folks willing to let me have the dish for free!
All I had to do was take it down.
I got 3 or 4 at the time.
I built a PVC stand for one and set it up at home to get it working.

Once the dish was dialed in, then all I have to do is level the stand (at the campsite) and turn the dish to the appropriate position. (Dish Pointer app works great for this)
Takes about 10 minutes to set-up and connect the wire.

It is a bit big (being a dish for HD channels) but works well.
Someone makes folding hinges for the arm that sticks out the front which makes it slightly more portable.

If you don't care about HD you can use the smaller SD (Standard Definition) dish.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Site Team

I have DIRECTV at home, also. I take my main Genie receiver and one mini-Genie from home. I bought an HD antenna for $60 and made my own base for $11 or so worth of parts (see pic).

I use a process similar to 5picker's to get HD service on 2 TVs in 20 minutes max.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

We got tired of hauling around the big stationary dish and playing the 'find the satellite' game at every stop. We bought the tailgater auto dish that works with our receivers at home. We use Dish. Now I use an app on the phone to ensure I find a spot to place the tailgater that has clear shot to the satellites and by the time I finish setting up the rig I also have HD TV. If we are staying a few days I call up dish and have them change my local channels to the zip code where I am. Direct won't do that.

There are several auto dishes out there and they are well worth it!!!!! Saves you time and are easy to store and much less frustrating

Have fun!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

I use a 3 lnb directv HD dish on a small Xmas Tree stand that can be leveled, which receives from 3 Directv sats. I then use a small satellite strength meter that allows me to find Directv Sat 101.

It took a little practice, but I can now align the dish in less than 5 minutes, assuming a clear view to the sky. I bring my home sat receiver with me. This 3 lnb dish gets me HD. Some are happy with receiving only from one Directv satellite, which only gets you SD video, using a smaller dish that is even easier to set up.

It is like learning to back your TT - a little practice and it will eventually be easy.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

I bought a dish 1000.2 on a tripod to take to Florida and leave there. I haven't bought a receiver yet and don't know that I will. I've been taking an extra one out of the house (from wife's sewing room) and using it while I play with the dish and the windjammer wiring here at home.

As it is now I can plug the dish cable into the satellite connection on the side of the trailer and get dish on both living room and bedroom tv's, I don't think I've tried the outside tv jack yet. Same channel though. I think I might be able to live with the same channel instead of spending another $85 for a receiver and another $7 per month. My dish bill is terrible as it is.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

I have the Dish Network TailGater which I use with a dish Receiver taken from my home, this combo results in no Extra charges per month, when I return home I just plug the receiver back up here at home.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

Dish network

I bought the portable king dome unit and a dish mobile receiver last year. I wasn't happy with it on HD or SD after several attempts. It would only pull down one satellite so channels were limited. Might have been a bad king dome unit but I never did the troubleshooting and just shelved it. Who needs tv anyway when we are supposed to be enjoying the great outdoors! 😊
randman132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

We have DISH at home so take two boxes when traveling. We do have a King Dome on roof and cary a full size antenna on tripod when dome is blocked by trees. If I were buying a system today I would get a portable King antenna that can be mounted on roof or a stand on the ground. We prefer DISH for several reasons, the first is we get HD everywhere. Automatic antennas receives only standard definition with Direct. If you don't have DISH at home you can sign up for their RV pay as you go service. With DISH we make one call upon arrival and they change local channels to those where we are.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If we are staying a few days I call up dish and have them change my local channels to the zip code where I am. Direct won't do that.
Directv WILL do the same. Ask for the Installation Address to be changed. If you get some idiot who tells you otherwise, just hang up and try another CS rep.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Tailgater

I use a tailgater....dish tv...
Lightweight, point it south, travel with in the shower, call dish for local stations when on the road, hd
golfingsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #14

DISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
We have DISH at home so take two boxes when traveling. We do have a King Dome on roof and cary a full size antenna on tripod when dome is blocked by trees. If I were buying a system today I would get a portable King antenna that can be mounted on roof or a stand on the ground. We prefer DISH for several reasons, the first is we get HD everywhere. Automatic antennas receives only standard definition with Direct. If you don't have DISH at home you can sign up for their RV pay as you go service. With DISH we make one call upon arrival and they change local channels to those where we are.
I have Dish and a King dome. I can't seem to get local channels and my other channels on the same sat position. I have to switch between two sat positions depending on if I want local or other channels like FS1. I am probably doing something wrong just now sure what it is. Is there a way to get all the channels on one sat position?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
Directv WILL do the same. Ask for the Installation Address to be changed. If you get some idiot who tells you otherwise, just hang up and try another CS rep.
Thanks Chuck! Actually we have read that on this forum before but every time our friends try to do that exact thing over the last few years they have no luck and end up at 'our house' to watch their program. And they bring beer.. so I'm happy

I'll forward this to them once more. Thanks again.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #16

I have a carryout for sale ,works great . It works on direct or dish . I have a dish receiver and the satellite antenna with power cord for 475.00
Hpuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I have the Dish Network TailGater which I use with a dish Receiver taken from my home, this combo results in no Extra charges per month, when I return home I just plug the receiver back up here at home.
This is on the money. I keep the antenna in the closet of our 5'er and just as mentioned, take a receiver from the house before heading out. Easy to set up and no hassle to move.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

I bought a Tailgator satellite system and use Dish network. It is called "Pay As You Go" with Dish. It is for those that just want the satellite service during camping season. It works well. I bought my Tailgator on line, but there are places that sell them. I hooked it up at home because Dish wants it hooked up when you call and on the road in a camper is not a good time. After hooking it up, I called Dish and within minutes I had satellite TV. It is great.
mkadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #19

I also have DirecTV and have a king Quest satellite dish. I had trouble with the Winegard carryout anser dish. Three of them quit working within a period of two years. The king Quest does everything for you just set it on the ground plug it in and let it do its thing.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #20

Used the Tailgater for 2 years with marginal success and only under optimal conditions. Bought a Pathway X2 last year and have had phenomenal service for the most part.
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite