Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
Need to RV more...

Smile Dual tank regulator replaced

Had a potentially dangerous situation that was getting worse by the day. Our two tanks were full. On the second day of camping I noticed some gas smell near the starboard tank compartment (right side for land-lubbers!). I tried to switch tanks to see if the smell would go away. The next day, the smell was still there. I decided to leave the compartment door open as we were leaving the next day for our next destination.
This morning the smell was even worse. Also, the green/red plunger would no longer go green even though both tanks were still very full. I discovered from the previous owner that the regulator had been replaced about five years ago.

This afternoon, I pulled the hoses and freshened up the teflon tape. No improvement. Bummer. I pulled the regulator and was immediately upset with how flimsy and cheap it felt. Garbage.

After going to two local RV dealers, I had to swallow some pride and I went to Camping World. $70 and an hour of driving later, I again did the teflon tape and snugged everything down. No smell. The plunger works as it should.

Why am I typing this? For one, it's a success story. Second, if you smell gas can can't isolate the smell to one tank of the other, it may well be that your regulator failed. Good luck everyone!

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not for what ships are built".
SCUDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #2

5 years seems about right for a regulator. I've replaced 3 of them, and it's been within a ~5 year timeframe every time. Common component to fail, but fortunately, a relatively cheap and easy fix.

Good post!
Greenhound386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #3

LP gas requires a special teflon tape that is yellow in color
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:06 PM   #4

Glad you got it fixed.
Once you smell propane, it's a good idea to shut off the tanks til you can fix the problem. It's inconvenient, but better than having a propane explosion.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Yellow teflon tape is exactly the same stuff as the white, just thicker. Don't have any? Use more wraps of the white stuff.....
No matter what color you use, test all connections with soapy water to ensure a leakproof connection.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post

Or Rectorseal, it works on everything
Old 02-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhound386 View Post
5 years seems about right for a regulator. I've replaced 3 of them, and it's been within a ~5 year timeframe every time. Common component to fail, but fortunately, a relatively cheap and easy fix.

Good post!

On my second replacement in 6 years. Original only lasted 2 yrs., second one lasted 4 yrs.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:12 AM   #8
Need to RV more...

The fix has been great... except yesterday I was walking by my port side tank (left) and I smelled gas again. It was not as strong, but it was there. Apparently there is another regulator coming off of that tank. It is a smaller regulator, red in color. I learned that the previous owner also replaced that regulator at the same time. Looks like I will be replacing the red one next time we prep the RV for the road.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDDOG View Post
The fix has been great... except yesterday I was walking by my port side tank (left) and I smelled gas again. It was not as strong, but it was there. Apparently there is another regulator coming off of that tank. It is a smaller regulator, red in color. I learned that the previous owner also replaced that regulator at the same time. Looks like I will be replacing the red one next time we prep the RV for the road.
That small red regulator simply decreases pressure in the crossover line between the far tank and the main regulator. RV propane lines, crossover, and pigtails are rated at 300psi, well above the tank pressure. The regulation for the small red regulator was added about 15 years ago. Before that, none of the fifth wheel crossover lines had them.
After replacing that small regulator many times, I just took it out and replaced with a straight through fitting. I also ensured the solid pipe that the propane crossover line runs through was sealed (no propane could leak into the basement, it would come out either end by the tanks if the crossover line did develop a leak). Been running that way for about 6 years. I'm fine with it, and if the next owner thinks they need it, I made it easy to put back in.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #10
Need to RV more...

Smile I'm interested

Excellent idea. Would love to hear from more folks on this possibility!

Old 03-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I too had a leaking issue with the 'red' regulator on my 5th wheel about a year and a half after being new.
I simply replaced it with another and have had no issues since. (about 2-1/2 years now)

As Scott mentioned, I believe DOT regulations say the flex line between the two tanks is to be protected from tank pressure so they use this step down regulator to accomplish this. They also enclose the line in a piece of plastic pipe that (as also mentioned) should vent any ruptures to either side of the R/V into a ventilated area of the tank(s) location.

I believe the technical reason is to keep the LP in the crossover line vapor and not liquid. When LP is used from the 'main' regulator, the pressure drop in the crossover line 'could' cause the vapor to return to a liquid.

That's sure some coulds and maybes and certainly dependent on temperatures and line lengths. Nonetheless, it appears to work without the regulator (Scott's instance) and with a working regulator. (that doesn't leak)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank