Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #1

E-Pro E19FBS Back-up Camera Prep

We are pocking up our E19FBS on Monday. The brochure says that it is wired for a back-up camera. I believe this is true for all the E-Pros and GeoPros.

I assume that the dealer will be more than happy to sell me and install a back-up camera. However, I wanted to get input from forum members.
1. What does "back-up camera prep" consist of?
2. Have you installed a back-up camera on an E-Pro or GeoPro? Your experience?
3. Suggestions on back-up cameras?
Morgan_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 AM   #2

There are an incredible number of posts about back up or observation cameras. I think a quick search will answer your questions.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
There are an incredible number of posts about back up or observation cameras. I think a quick search will answer your questions.
Literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts on the topic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Watching for thread to blossom to 150 posts.....in 5,4,3,2,....
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

Simple answer to #1: “Prep” consists of a plastic mount base at top center of the rear of the trailer that is designed specifically for the relatively pricey, but well thought of, Furrion
Wireless camera. There is also a powered wiring plug inside that bracket that is also designed for plug and play for the Furrion cam. Info on other options can be found with a quick search.
RKC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

Yes, it's truly plug and play install

Just finished a rear camera install on our new Geo Pro 19FD yesterday. Taking off the cover of the pre-installed mount reveals a generous supply of pre wired with mating plug setup for the Furion camera system. Literally unscrew, plug in camera, screw new plate into place...boom...camera part done. Then find a place for the viewing screen in the TV.
But in my case, bought an 'off brand' system off of Ebay, saving about $385 over the Furion. Required some wire cutting / splicing & modifying the panel on the housing to get the 'off brand' camera mounted about an hour or so later. But at the end, have a decent viewing camera with the 'parking lines' and a 7" screen for in the TV, so I'm OK with that.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
Just finished a rear camera install on our new Geo Pro 19FD yesterday. Taking off the cover of the pre-installed mount reveals a generous supply of pre wired with mating plug setup for the Furion camera system. Literally unscrew, plug in camera, screw new plate into place...boom...camera part done. Then find a place for the viewing screen in the TV.
But in my case, bought an 'off brand' system off of Ebay, saving about $385 over the Furion. Required some wire cutting / splicing & modifying the panel on the housing to get the 'off brand' camera mounted about an hour or so later. But at the end, have a decent viewing camera with the 'parking lines' and a 7" screen for in the TV, so I'm OK with that.

Probably the most popular non-Furrion system, Haloview, has an adaptor plug and mounting bracket for about 10 bucks. Made install a breeze. Ok, I pushed thread up to 7 posts. I think we'll get 143 more!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

Back up camera

Hello I installed a back up camera on my e-pro FD 19. It was not a furrion. Some place out of California. It was east to set up. But here's the scoop although it was handy after it was installed water got into the camera housing and the image was blurry because of condensation. I removed it and didn't replace it I found that I really didn't need it. When I back into a site I use a spotter and that works fine. So don't waste your money is my advice.
Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
So don't waste your money is my advice.
On ultra cheap Chinese knockoffs, I agree. I've seen plenty of reviews on no-name brands where this is an issue, which is why I spent a bit more for a Haloview, but far less than Furrion.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #10

I went with the Furion in my 2021 E-Pro E19FD. Super-easy installation. My wife is not the world's greatest "spotter", and this camera has made backing into a campsite a breeze.
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC12 View Post
Simple answer to #1: “Prep” consists of a plastic mount base at top center of the rear of the trailer that is designed specifically for the relatively pricey, but well thought of, Furrion
Wireless camera. There is also a powered wiring plug inside that bracket that is also designed for plug and play for the Furrion cam. Info on other options can be found with a quick search.
Thank you, that was helpful information. I have heard some people recommend Halo.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
I appreciate the detail. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Probably the most popular non-Furrion system, Haloview, has an adaptor plug and mounting bracket for about 10 bucks. Made install a breeze. Ok, I pushed thread up to 7 posts. I think we'll get 143 more!
First, thank you for helping up the post count . Second, I stand corrected in my earlier reply. Haloview is the model that many people seem to like. The fact that they offer a Furrion compatible bracket and cable is another nice feature.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanesstetter View Post
Hello I installed a back up camera on my e-pro FD 19. It was not a furrion. Some place out of California. It was east to set up. But here's the scoop although it was handy after it was installed water got into the camera housing and the image was blurry because of condensation. I removed it and didn't replace it I found that I really didn't need it. When I back into a site I use a spotter and that works fine. So don't waste your money is my advice.
Practical input. Since we pick-up our 19FBS tomorrow we will probably get a little practice backing up with old fashioned communication.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan_N View Post
We are pocking up our E19FBS on Monday. The brochure says that it is wired for a back-up camera. I believe this is true for all the E-Pros and GeoPros.

I assume that the dealer will be more than happy to sell me and install a back-up camera. However, I wanted to get input from forum members.
1. What does "back-up camera prep" consist of?
2. Have you installed a back-up camera on an E-Pro or GeoPro? Your experience?
3. Suggestions on back-up cameras?

Morgan, We purchased a Furrion back-up camera with our GeoPro. There are less expensive units out there and you might prefer a larger screen (I think ours is "4.5). Lots of options. In our case it took the salesman and the mechanic about 5 minutes to install the camera and then to pair it with the screen. I don't think there was any preparation. It's literally "plug and play," and no charge for installation. The power source for the camera is the trailer running lights circuit, so be sure your lights are on. I love having one. Fare thee well, Bryan
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #16
Retired Army MSG!

I purchased a camera that mounted to the factory prep for $265.00 from tadibrothers.com before you purchase look for a coupon on their site. It was an easy install and came with a 7" monitor. All brackets and hardware are included. I have used my rig once since install and backed my 34' 5vr in without assistance from DW or anyone. That was the main reason I wanted the unit to make sure I could see what the mirrors on the TV don't allow you to see, but I still rely on my mirrors the most. The camera is also very helpful in my driveway when I put the rig back in it's 12 X 36 carport.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't understand how anyone can see on less than 7 inch screen. Especially since most of us on this site are old or getting there quick!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I don't understand how anyone can see on less than 7 inch screen. Especially since most of us on this site are old or getting there quick!
I totally agree! That's why I got one with the 7" monitor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #19

I installed a haloview a couple of days ago. I bought the optional Furrion adaptor mount for it and when I started the installation I discovered that the camera came with a plate that fit the furrion mount perfectly with no need for the optional adaptor. The entire installation and pairing took less than a half hour and was super simple. The adaptor mount goes back to Amazon today.
Jinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

You didn't need the adaptor plug wire the bracket came with? They must be making it even easier to install.

Tags
camera