Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

E-Pro or Geo to Alaska

Have any of you E-Pro or Geo owners made the trip to Alaska? I have a 19FD and am thinking about it for the near future. Not sure if it would stay in 1 piece for the round trip. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Suke2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

It would help to know what your "round trip" would be. Where do you live?

Just an observation, but I take it you don't think too highly of the quality of your E-Pro.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Just an observation, but I take it you don't think too highly of the quality of your E-Pro.
I believe the OP is refering to the potentially rough road conditions in Canada.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

There's a couple thousand rig making that trip every year. It all depends on how you prepare your rig and how careful you take it when and where the roads get bad. I made it up and back in 16' with a half ton 5th wheel rig with very few problems. Be prepared to tighten loose screws but other than that just about like any other long trip.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #5

It depends on the time of the year you go. Summer and fall are fine with good roads, but there will be some construction along the way. Winter and spring will have frost heaves. I have traveled that road in my 22 foot motor home and have never had a problems. I lived in Alaska for 35 years and driven both ways lots of timesl
ellisonjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
D W

No reason it shouldn't make it IF you take your time and plan your trip accordingly. You will run into road reconstruction during the months of May through August. Transport Canada (Canada's DOT) spend all summer putting the roads back together after the winter break-up. You will experience washouts, frost heaves and sometimes delays for rock slide clean-up, or just general construction. Be prepared for lots of mud and dust. Get it in your mind right now that you are not going to drive 60+ MPH like the lower 48. If you do, you will use-up your rig in a hurry. Many times you will travel on a long stretch of freshly graded gravel awaiting new asphalt. You'll be hard pressed to safely achieve speeds over 35 MPH. Take breaks often and bring a lot of paper towels with you to keep your headlights and windshield clean. Full Disclosure: There's a 50% chance that your windshield will suffer damage and a 30% chance of a flat tire.

It's a long trip, but it's a beautiful drive!

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Geo Pro to Alaska

Go for it> Done the AlCan several times. Take it easy and enjoy the drive. Watch for rough road/frost heaves especially from Haines Jct north and the Tok cutoff. A must stop is the Ranchhouse lodge/RV park just west of Glen Allen. Have fun.
HMCUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
It would help to know what your "round trip" would be. Where do you live?

I currently live in SC, but I'm going fulltime starting in April.

Yes, I'm mostly concerned about how the light weight suspension and the low hanging tanks/valves will handle the roads north of the border. Things get tossed around pretty good just driving normal roads here (SC/FL).

And yes, I am a little disappointed with the build quality, but it seems to be the norm now days with everything.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #9

Geo Pro

I just got back in November with the Geo Pro 19FD from a trip to Souie Saint Marie and Mackinac City round trip from NC. 2500 miles and never had a problem of any kind. My Geo was a 2018 and pulled and tracked perfect with Goodyear endurance tires. Wasn't on any gravel roads though. Go ahead and have fun. Mine had the torsion axle, I guess they all do.
boonebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suke2U View Post
Have any of you E-Pro or Geo owners made the trip to Alaska? I have a 19FD and am thinking about it for the near future. Not sure if it would stay in 1 piece for the round trip. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Made the trip up to Dawson City and then up to Tukayuktuk last summer. We towed our E pro 19FD all the way except for the last bit up the Dempster highway to Tuk. The last 700 kms on the Dempster are all gravel. If you are going to Alaska you won't be on the Dempster so this is not a concern for you. What the road after Dawson City to Alaska is like I don't know. I do know you will meet a lot of Americans on the trip. It seems it is on a lot of Americans bucket list. I totally get that. Beautiful country. Without a doubt there are some rough patches on the road but it is all paved except for construction patches. This is no different then any road which needs constant upgrades. We did have any problems with our trailer, our tires or our tow vehicle. The key as it is anywhere, maintain tire pressure, do not overload, watch your load distribution and do not exceed speed limits.

The scenery is spectacular, people are friendly and the provincial parks in B.C. and the territorial parks in Yukon are lovely. Fuel stops are not as frequent as in more populous areas so make sure you stop in time or carry extra fuel. Also, fuel is expensive. Take your time and enjoy.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all the comments and great advice everyone!