Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

E19BH holding tanks heating pads

Hi all! I am new to travel trailers and have about 1000 questions. But I will start with one; I have the opportunity to buy a E19BH but it doesn't have the heating pads I convinced myself I need. Or I can factory order a trailer with the configuration i I want but it would take an unknown period of time to get it.
Do I need the heating pads? Or can I install it later. I saw a video with a guy cutting holes for the switches. It would not be my preference to be cutting holes already versus something integrated.

Thanks!
fstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's hard for us to know how capable you are at installing things.
It's also hard for us to know whether you 'need' heating pads on your tanks as we have no clue how you plan to use your R/V. With that said, yes, heating pads can be installed to a unit without them but there is some work involved.

Are you going to be camping in below freezing temperatures?
Are you able to wait for the factory unit to arrive?

I see it is your 1st post... welcome!

When asking questions, it's always best to spell out what your situation is and list every bit of information you possibly can so we can better assist you. Set up a signature line as well so all your important information is in every post. Keep in mind, those using the mobile app don't see signatures nor individual post titles.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

Thank you!
Not to pat myself on the back too much �� but I am very handy. So not concerned about that beyond the time commitment. More concerned with keeping the factory look. I have even upgraded my Tesla and to stick to the factory look (because the Tesla don't really have any buttons), I wrote an app for my phone to control the extra lights.

I would say that the possibility exists that temps might drop below freezing here and there.

The problem with the factory order is that it is completely unknown how long it would take. Likely more than 2 months.

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

Let me try to phrase my question(s) differently:
-Are the heating pads used standard off-the shelf that I can purchase and install myself?
-And can I hook it up to the control panel by the door. I was trying to find information if the control panel have a standard "spot" for the heated pad controls (a button or whatever is needed).
-I wonder if the control panel already have a wiring harness and I can just plug it in....

-Or would you recommend I rather buy something else/better?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #5

You note that temps MIGHT drop below freezing "here and there". I don't think you need heat pads if it is just an occasional overnight drop where temps are back above freezing during the day. It will take a while for thanks to freeze

You can buy the heating pads. No problem there. My trailer has them and there is one switch on the control panel for them - labeled appropriately.
Hard part of the job will be fishing the wires.

Note that they only work when hooked up to shore power. Resistance heaters will kill even a huge battery bank quickly.

My trailer came equipped with the pads in the link below. I have one large pad on each tank and a small pad on each drain pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LaSalle-...RTBX/312242832

FWIW, there are folks who boondock winter camp - no electricity other than, maybe, a portable generator. They use bottled water and just dump into the tank. The liquid will freeze but not cause any problems. You just have to wait until things warm up to dump the tanks.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

Thanks SailorSam20500. I doubt my family would tolerate much below freezing camping, so it sounds like I can live without it for now.

Tags
heating, tank