Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Electric awning travelling question

When traveling, especially if in the heavy wind, I would hear stories of the manual awning railing coming loose from the side of of trailer and causing all sorts of problems. My TT has an electric awning. Can the electric awning do the same while traveling? If so, how could I secure it?
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

I have had three electric awning's and never had one open.
Just my experience. I really wouldn't worry about it. I don't.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #3

I've never heard of an issue either.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

Awning travel

The manuals used to come unlocked like my dads did once. The electric should snug up tight and stay there until told to open up.

Use the rear view mirror to keep track also.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Only heard of one on a mh in Great Britain doing it and I made a lock for mine and both of Glenn Jurczyk's awnings. If the motor releases, the awning will definitely release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alum tab, 3-8 x 1-2 ss bolt, washer & nyloc nut.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	85184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lock top bracket.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	85185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lock turnbuckle.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	85186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom hook unlatched.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	85187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom hook.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	85188  

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

Awnings

We have travelled in high winds sustained to 35 and gusts to 45 with no problems other than holding on between gusts!! We have never had an issue with our electric awning on our 390rb.
caburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caburn View Post
We have travelled in high winds sustained to 35 and gusts to 45 with no problems other than holding on between gusts!! We have never had an issue with our electric awning on our 390rb.
We haven't either, but one never knows when the motor will turn loose. My fix was less than $10, well worth not having to even think about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

No Bungee

I tried a bungee cord once and it worked well until it got older and one day beat the fool out of the front brace where it was attached. "Oldcoot" has something solid that may not fly in the wind.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

I used to use a Velcro strap on my manual, but figured the 12V electric motor would hold the electric awnings. After all you're going down the highway at 60 - 65 MPH, so not even considering cross winds, the wind from the speed of the unit could unroll the awning. I've thought about loosing the bracket and putting a Velcro strap around it like I did my manual, but so far I haven't done it.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
I used to use a Velcro strap on my manual, but figured the 12V electric motor would hold the electric awnings. After all you're going down the highway at 60 - 65 MPH, so not even considering cross winds, the wind from the speed of the unit could unroll the awning. I've thought about loosing the bracket and putting a Velcro strap around it like I did my manual, but so far I haven't done it.
Strapping the arms will not stop it from unrolling. You have to prevent the roller itself from turning and the arms have nothing to do with the roller turning.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #11

awning

I put an awning cover kit from Awning Pro-tech on mine. Never considered the awning opening up in the wind . I was more concerned with the sun rotting it. It uses a clip on either end to keep it from blowing off and I guess unrolling to. Check it out, I'm thinking of ordering one for the slide, but that one would have to be removed beforee I hit the road.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #12

While traveling this past year I saw an awning open at 65 mph on the freeway. It wasn't pretty. At that speed I'm not sure if was electric or not, I think not but hope it never happens to me.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
When traveling, especially if in the heavy wind, I would hear stories of the manual awning railing coming loose from the side of of trailer and causing all sorts of problems. My TT has an electric awning. Can the electric awning do the same while traveling? If so, how could I secure it?

two years ago I was traveling along lake Huron and we had 70 MPH gusts coming off the lake, had to pull over in one of those roadside parks on M25 because it was blowing me all over the place. No problem with the awning coming loose but after I stopped we had a huge oak tree branch break loose from a tree and crushed the tube and tore a hole in the awning. It took 3 tubes and two awnings from the dealer before they were able to fix it. Those 20 foot tubes don't do very well when they are shipped...lol. Insurance prorated it and cover just over half the price. What a rip.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Strapping the arms will not stop it from unrolling. You have to prevent the roller itself from turning and the arms have nothing to do with the roller turning.
The Velcro straps wrap around the arms & awning frame, which is bolted to the side of the coach. If they can't move away from the side of the coach, the awning can't unroll.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
The Velcro straps wrap around the arms & awning frame, which is bolted to the side of the coach. If they can't move away from the side of the coach, the awning can't unroll.
That is true on a manual awning but not on the electric ones. Pull the motor and see for yourself.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #16

No problem on my 2013 Palomino after 3 1/2 yrs in Tow.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #17

When my 2000 MH manual awning unrolled in 2008 (arms stayed secure) from a serious cross wind I changed the sprocket end and found that the existing mechanism had a very fine tooth brass gear assembly and the replacement had a beefed up deep tooth aluminum one. The teeth on the original had simply disappeared to form a smooth disk. Not sure when A&E made the change. I think this change finally stopped the dreaded manual awning unrolling in high wind issue. Did for me.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #18

Haven't had a problem with my electric awning, but had my slide topper start to unfurl and rip while driving in high winds in Kansas.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

The electric motor acts like a brake and the only way the awning and roller can move is when power is applied. Granted there is a TOOL to manually open and close the awning in case of motor failure, it is harder for the awning to open up. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides if you were traveling in high enough winds to do what you suggest, I doubt you would be driving down the road to begin with.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

All it takes on a power awning is for the motor to release and the awning tube is free to unroll and gets assistance from the torsion spring. I'll travel with mine locked.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric, travel