Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Electrical & Gas Alterations

If you even think there is a gas or electrical problem with your TT....get it to your dealer ASAP. Your dealer has the knowledge and qualified staff to inspect your TT and then make repairs if needed. I read in this forum of all kinds "advice" from Mr. Jack Of All Trades that will get people killed or your TT burned to the ground.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #2

As many of you know I have this oven issue (and am hopefully on the verge of getting it resolved - will report on Saturday when I pick the RV up) but some yahoo at the dealer installed the thermocouple and pilot assembly wrong such that after the pilot was lit andb the oven was turned up to the set temp, instead of flames coming out of the burner, they shot out under pressure from just above the pilot assembly. Here is a video.

I was so mad that I demanded they send a technician out to my storage lot to undo this SNAFU. When the replacement stove and oven came in I specifically requested the second technician work on it since he seemed knowledgeable.

Moral of story - apparently the 'experts' at the dealer can be just as bad as the DIYer.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #3

WMOSES...there is always an exception to everything. You received some bad work from one technician...then good work from another. Remember the good technician and use him next time. But don't group all technicians in one group because there are many that care about their trade and do excellent work. I am electrical foreman on nuclear powerhouses, government projects, oil rigs around the world and sometimes I have a bad employee; I let him go as he can't do the job. I do home inspections and see lots of very bad work, dangerous work that will kill someone.
I tell people to check out the dealer/staff prior to having anything done... The dealer did correct the bad work which shows he cares. Good camping
Toyota Tundra
Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Bob - thanks, I agree with you 100% of course. However that was not what my point was.

I was merely pointing out that, while your focus is rightly on safety, it is likewise unfair to generalize that (a) everyone at the dealership is somehow more skilled and knowledgeable, and (b) DIYers are not competent at handling these types of issues.

My post spoke to the first case. As for the second - some of us might not be paid technicians, but might nevertheless be otherwise competent at handling such a scenario.

I choose to go to the dealership when it is a warranty issue (now I am rethinking even that) or when the issue overwhelms the limits of my knowledge. The trick with the latter is knowing when to ask for help.

Regarding my oven - the most frustrating things were the clear lack of quality in the manufacture of the appliance at the outset, and the incompetence of the technician in the attempt to effect the repair. Don't ask me how I know but I could have done a better job myself.

We are on the same page.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Well we have the same issue at our dealer. Some I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver much less a task such as yours. Years ago I could just look at something and put it together. Today I have to study the directions. I know absolutely what you mean by doing it yourself. If it's a warrantee item I lean toward the dealer doing it so it's covered. However, when I watch them work I cringe and stare at them wondering what in the hell are they doing. Tennessee RV has a great bunch of tech' sat their facility but they also have a several week waiting period to get your unit looked at.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

Exactly what makes these guys experts. They're not licensed and probably not certified (at least by a creditable agency).

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

I am a licensed electrician, US Government nuclear certified/security cleared and HVAC certified plus certified home inspector. Plus 40 years experience on oil fields and rigs, paper mills and power houses from China to Africa. I suggest if you have a electrical or gas problem get the right person to look at the problem. Ask if they are insured and certified...and then check that they are. Please do not get an accountant to work on your electrical problems as I have seen many electricians killed.
Toyota Tundra
Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

My expierence; dometic fridge failed, lucky for me under warranty. I searched three area dealers authorized to do dometic warranty repairs, which involved complete replacement of all the parts that circulate the amonia mixture. After my initial walk-in interviews of the service departments, I went with, and was completely satisfied with a shop that employed certified repairman. They completed the repair two days earlier than promised, and kept me in the loop every step of the way.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Still Kicking...you are sooooo right about some dealers. I live in Marietta, GA, there's a FR dealer about a mile from my house and I refuse to even walk in their store let alone allow them to work on my camper. I take it to a Camping World dealer and receive excellent service. FR honors my warranty there. It does matter where you take your TT for service. Every owner should find a good dealer, that's how the bad ones have to close...no business!
Toyota Tundra

Tags
electric, electrical, gas