Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Krudedawg
Question Eyes Burning ???

We bought a 2006 831BHSS back around Memorial Day. It was used but the couple that had bought it new, traded up for a FW. So far we are loving our little home away from home even though we have only taken very short trips so far. Our daughter and son in law are home visiting so they are sleeping in the camper. During the day while they are away visiting, we are turning off the A/C and then turning it back on just before bed to try to conserve a little on the power bill. Problem is, we have noticed when we first go in and the camper is hot inside, our nose and eyes start burning almost instantly. All gas is turned off and no alarms are going off. All i can smell is the normal aroma of new building products. I dunno if the intense heat is causing the chemicals in those materials to burn our eyes or if maybe there is a more serious problem. When the unit cools down, all is fine again. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be if not the building material chemicals? All i know to do right now is leave some windows open with the exhaust fan running.
All input will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance,
Krudedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #2

Sounds like you're on the right track. The heat must permeate the new products, and is releasing the formaldehyde gasses. There are several ways to help the situation, if you go to www.rv.net and do a search, it will bring up solutions.
Karen
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
RAC

Welcome to the world of Formaldyhyde, which is used for preservation purposes. Airing out is the quickest way to get rid of it.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Yeah I think the phrase for it is off-gassing. I'd guess that it wasn't used a lot which is good, but it does take a while to get those panels, carpets, and things off-gassed enough. It might help not to close it up tightly when not in use... a couple of vents left open (if you have max airs) would probably make quite a difference.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Yeah I think the phrase for it is off-gassing.
I thought that was what happend after eating a plate of refried beans.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
RAC

that would be the reverse of that
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
We walked thru some new trailers at the dealership...when it was 100 degrees. It was well over that in the trailers, as they were closed up. We didn't spend much time in ANY of them because of the heat. My eyes stung so bad....I had to quit. The fumes are really bad when the trailers are warm, and closed up....fact. Air it out when you can...it fades fast.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff