Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #21

As we get older the question my wife always poses is what is she going to do after I'm gone -- as if there's some rule I have to go first! -- since she is unable to hook up and handle even our small trailer. Since she can drive an Army 5-ton (or did in the past) it's time to think about a small motor home. Maybe you too.

-- Chuck
Old 10-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #22
Littleearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
As we get older the question my wife always poses is what is she going to do after I'm gone -- as if there's some rule I have to go first! -- since she is unable to hook up and handle even our small trailer. Since she can drive an Army 5-ton (or did in the past) it's time to think about a small motor home. Maybe you too.

-- Chuck

Check out Rockwood 2614bs. Rear kitchen which gives lower tongue weight. Also offers great outside kitchen. 1/2 ton towable with a ram 1500.
Littleearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleearn View Post
Check out Rockwood 2614bs. Rear kitchen which gives lower tongue weight. Also offers great outside kitchen. 1/2 ton towable with a ram 1500.
A 30ft trailer and 8k isn't meant for a half ton . Especially a ram with limited payload . A strong side wind would be a white knuckle experience.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Don't forget with the TT you gain the full use of your pickup bed.
This is true but most TT's have very little onboard storage which is fine if you are a Weekend Warrior but, we spend about half the year away from home. I can pretty much put everything that would be exposed to the weather in my front boxes and then some. I still can leave things in the bed of the truck in front and behind the hitch that the weather won't bother. The rear section of my 5ver is elevated like the front and I have two pass through storage areas that will hold 8 full sized totes each and a rear storage compartment for things like chairs, folding tables, canopies, etc. There are also 2 smaller boxes near the rear that I keep tools, a tote for sewer fittings, dunage, etc in. So at the end of the day it comes down to what you will be using your rig for.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #25
Littleearn

2614bs used with a good wd hitch and the correct setup on a ram 1500 is no problem. Granted I. May not use this setup out west where winds are bad but other than that I do great with mine
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #26
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleearn View Post
2614bs used with a good wd hitch and the correct setup on a ram 1500 is no problem. Granted I. May not use this setup out west where winds are bad but other than that I do great with mine
I think if you took your 2614BS to a scale you’d find the tongue weight is around 1000#. Those bed slides add a lot of weight to the tongue. Unless your RAM 1500 is a lower trim level you are probably over it’s GVWR when you’re loaded and ready to go camping.

The OP has a 3/4 ton so they should be OK with any TT as long as they have a good WDH and good sway control. A 3/4 ton diesel tends to reach its GVWR rather quickly with a fifth wheel.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
My wife and I are retired. We tow a fifth wheel. We are going to look for a new RV. Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at light in Flagstaff line. My wife likes front kitchen plans. I tow with a Chev Silverado HD 2500. It has payload of 3,115 from door sticker, 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear end. Front kitchens have heavier hitch weights. I would like to know how well they tow. I am impressed with their build quality. We are looking at about 30' in length. Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.
Steve
We are both retired with health issue. Wife has a bad back with multiple surgeries and have have bad knees with multiple surgeries. We have a 2022 2516S MiniLite that we tow with a 2019 1500 RAM and love it and the way it towes.
Giboneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #28
Canadian Member

One other thing to add to this thread. It may be difficult these days with continued low stock levels at dealerships, but it would be wise to ensure you can actually walk in the unit you're interested in to see how it really feels and to imagine living in it. For me, the current corner showers are a deal breaker. I had a 2011 TT with a corner shower but it was a much larger space with what they called a "garden tub". The current version is too tight for my liking. Everybody has different needs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:11 PM   #29

My parents just went through this. Had a fifth wheel and decided to do a TT because of Dad’s knees. The TT lasted 1 season and they went back to a fifth.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #30
Littleearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giboneys View Post
We are both retired with health issue. Wife has a bad back with multiple surgeries and have have bad knees with multiple surgeries. We have a 2022 2516S MiniLite that we tow with a 2019 1500 RAM and love it and the way it towes.

Have the 2614bs. Just returned from trip to coast about 300 miles. Has a lighter tongue weight than front kitchen. Loaded and through the scales tongue was at 925lb and total weight was 13800 lb. My ram 1500 has a total capacity of 15500 and payload of 1350. Pulled great and got average 9 mpg. But it was flat area. Done great for the southeast
Old 10-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
My wife and I are retired. We tow a fifth wheel. We are going to look for a new RV. Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at light in Flagstaff line. My wife likes front kitchen plans. I tow with a Chev Silverado HD 2500. It has payload of 3,115 from door sticker, 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear end. Front kitchens have heavier hitch weights. I would like to know how well they tow. I am impressed with their build quality. We are looking at about 30' in length. Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.
Steve
I think it's obviously a personal question, but I can say wife and I did exactly the same thing. We sold a 31ft 5th wheel (grand design) and bought a 30ft travel trailer (Keystone). For the exact same reason. Towing each with a GMC 3500 Duramax. I think, at least for me, the TT was easier to back into a campsite. They both pulled nicely enough with a 1 ton, I imagine your 3/4 ton will perform similarly. I could feel the weight of the TT was further back than the 5er, but not an issue. I used an Equalizer 4pt WD & Anti-sway (10k rated model). Regarding forward/mid kitchen I think they bounce a lot less than rear kitchens. We had a rear clothes closet and hanging clothes always bounced off the rod. I can only imagine how the dishes glasses pots and pans would bounce.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #32

I’ve never owned a fiver.

I do own a 35’ Flagstaff 29RSWS which I absolutely love the layout and is technically a couples camper but it’s huge and a very open floor plan so piling the grand babies in is super easy with pull out couch and recliners etc.

Our tongue weight when loaded is around 1200-1250 pounds.

The kitchen is located in the middle of the trailer. I would think you might like the layout if you have a chance to review it.

As for the towing, like I said, I have never owned a fiver, but my Ram 2500 rows my rig with no issues and I have an Equalizer E4 weight distribution hitch dialed in pretty good and I also added a set of the Timbren’s. My tow experience is very pleasant most of the time.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I understand wanting an RV with less steps due to health.
And I would say that if you purchase the correct RV weight range for your 2500 and appropriate weight distribution hitch and anti sway devices, towing would be fine.
But I don't believe it will ever be on par with the fifth wheel. And it will not be as easy a process to hitch/unhitch.
I have some friends who have always had a fifth wheel. Then they both had various knee and hip problems with some replacements. They decided to go with a TT for those reasons. It lasted almost 2 seasons. They did not like the hitching process or the way it handled while towing. They also missed the storage in the fifth wheel.
They did like the slightly better mpg while towing though They also liked that there is a wider range of floor plans for a TT.
They have sold the TT and now are trying to decide between a MH and a fifth wheel. Should be interesting to see what they decide on.
Good luck and happy RVing!
The only thing wildcat left out was you lose close to half of your bed in truck with fifth wheel and you have to remove it to hall something big in your bed. When you are home, you want to haul something big like mower for repair or plywood you have to remove fifth wheel hitch something to think about! To me they pull about the same fifth wheels are taller. go to RV dealer go up and down steps at least 6 times in each one and see which one you like or doesn't wear you out.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Ok , 2 feet taller roof of a 5ver , I know you couldn't go where I go . Apparently your in New Mexico, I'm in Michigan . There are many roads here in the north with a canopy of trees . A tunnel, so no you couldn't go where I go .
He carries a pole saw with him LOL.
We camp on the river back here and have to cut off branches every 2 years, so we don't have problems going back to where we camp. But most camp sites are setup for class A's which clears the way for the rest of us.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
He carries a pole saw with him LOL.
We camp on the river back here and have to cut off branches every 2 years, so we don't have problems going back to where we camp. But most camp sites are setup for class A's which clears the way for the rest of us.
We started with travel trailers, then to fifth wheels (easier to tow, etc), recently went to a class C getting older fifth wheel hook up was getting more challenging.

I wish we had gone to a class C years ago.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #36

Rockwood 2608BS. NO DOUBT

Kathy and I have travelled for 8 years full-time in a Columbus 38' 5th wheel (2014 followed by 2019 year models). We are now part-time campers and went to the 30' TT for many of the reasons previously stated. I'll add that the TT is much easier to maintain (think washing and waxing) and not freaked out by height restrictions is on bridges and such. Go see the Rockwood 2608BS and if you get one, get back with me and I'll share some of the after market things I did to "improve" what is nearly perfect. BTW I tow with a 2017 Ram 2500 diesel using an Equalizer Hitch. No problems.
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #37

TT or 5th wheel

As it has been years since I towed a 5th wheel, I will only comment on a TT recommendation.
In June we purchased a 2022 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS which we tow with an F150.
We looked for a long time before we found the this trailer.
Tall interior, big slide, U shaped dinette, stacked double bunks and a front Murphy Bed. With bed stowed, you also have a comfortable sofa.
This is the second unit that we have purchased from Cheyenne Camping Center in Wolcott, Iowa. We were happy with first one, so we bought the second one there, driving from SE Arizona to do so.
If you look on line and like what you see, call them and talk to John Watkins.
mstrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #38

My TT has power hitch and stabilizers

I have no problems hitching it up and reversing
12v Fridge so it does NOT have to be perfectly level
-----------------------------------------------------------
NO backup camera on the tow hitch either .... I got the old fashioned balls on rods
10-15 minutes to hitch up the 4 point Equilizer ... allows you to back up without disconnect
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't compare it to 5th wheel never had one .. or felt that I NEEDED to have one

certainly enough storage for recreational use
Full time would be a bit more of a challenge
Old 10-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #39

Don't discount the rear living trailers .... They are great for couples
Old 10-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #40

My dealer recommendation

Since some on this thread have mentioned a favorite dealership I am moved to share my opinion. WANA RV located in Shipshewana IN is by far the best dealer for Rockwood (and others) I have experienced. I order what I want over the net, get to compare pricing, go pick it up, great pre-delivery walk through, great after sales support. Just saying!
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel