Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Fifth wheel or travel trailer

My wife and I are retired. We tow a fifth wheel. We are going to look for a new RV. Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at light in Flagstaff line. My wife likes front kitchen plans. I tow with a Chev Silverado HD 2500. It has payload of 3,115 from door sticker, 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear end. Front kitchens have heavier hitch weights. I would like to know how well they tow. I am impressed with their build quality. We are looking at about 30' in length. Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.
Steve
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #2

Fifth wheel vs Travel Trailer

My wife and I are retired. We tow a fifth wheel. We are going to look for a new RV. Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at ultra light and Signature in Rockwood line. My wife likes front kitchen plans. I tow with a Chev Silverado HD 2500. It has payload of 3,115 from door sticker, 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear end. Front kitchens have heavier hitch weights. I would like to know how well their travel trailers tow. I am impressed with their build quality. We are looking at about 30' in length. Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.
Steve
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #3

I understand wanting an RV with less steps due to health.
And I would say that if you purchase the correct RV weight range for your 2500 and appropriate weight distribution hitch and anti sway devices, towing would be fine.
But I don't believe it will ever be on par with the fifth wheel. And it will not be as easy a process to hitch/unhitch.
I have some friends who have always had a fifth wheel. Then they both had various knee and hip problems with some replacements. They decided to go with a TT for those reasons. It lasted almost 2 seasons. They did not like the hitching process or the way it handled while towing. They also missed the storage in the fifth wheel.
They did like the slightly better mpg while towing though They also liked that there is a wider range of floor plans for a TT.
They have sold the TT and now are trying to decide between a MH and a fifth wheel. Should be interesting to see what they decide on.
Good luck and happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #4

Travel trailer wise in the Forest River lineup my choice would either be Rockwood or Flagstaff. The fit and finish and quality is superior to their other lineups.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #5

We considered a travel tralier in 2021. I didn't want to lose my box for a fifth wheel hitch, I didn't want the height issues with a fifth wheel.

At the end of the day, we chose a fifth wheel.......and I'm glad we did. A fiver is easier to tow, hitch/unhitch and back up.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
We considered a travel tralier in 2021. I didn't want to lose my box for a fifth wheel hitch, I didn't want the height issues with a fifth wheel.

At the end of the day, we chose a fifth wheel.......and I'm glad we did. A fiver is easier to tow, hitch/unhitch and back up.
Where we currently camp having any fifth wheel would be a disaster almost every trip, low hanging limbs would be a constant concern. My trailer weighs 6100 lb loaded up pulling with a 250 so any fifth wheel even the smaller 27 ft models like the cougar I believe would hinder places I go .
Old 09-30-2022, 10:48 AM   #7

We have owned both TTs and 5th wheels. And by far, the 5th wheel is the easiest to maneuver including backing in, hooking up, etc. I also like that it puts more even weight on the truck versus having to use WD hitches.

But with the above said, a TT worked really well for us when towed behind our DRW F350. Didn't need to use a WD hitch because of the truck's capacity.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Where we currently camp having any fifth wheel would be a disaster almost every trip, low hanging limbs would be a constant concern. My trailer weighs 6100 lb loaded up pulling with a 250 so any fifth wheel even the smaller 27 ft models like the cougar I believe would hinder places I go .
https://www.rvingknowhow.com/average-rv-height/

Low hanging branches are always a concern no matter what type of RV you have.
Average fifth wheels are maybe 1 to 2 feet taller than average TTs. I certainly wouldn't base a decision on height alone. My fifth wheel is 12.3' tall and I guarantee you I can get it in wherever you can go
Old 09-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at light in Flagstaff line. My wife likes front kitchen plans.
It would help if you posted which Flagstaff trailer line you're looking at. Not sure what "light in Flagstaff line" means.
Flagstaff and Rockwood are twin brands, made in the same factory and on the same assembly line. There are way more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff dealers.
Since you're in Ohio, check out RV Wholesalers in Ohio and their Rockwood prices.
My wife also likes front kitchen models. She likes the 8263MBR and the 2608BS. There are twin Flagstaff models with slightly different numbers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:09 PM   #10

Forest River Rockwood 2608BS

We are looking at the same thing. Here is a TT we really like: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...rs/2608BS/6073 .
rljasper2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljasper2011 View Post
We are looking at the same thing. Here is a TT we really like: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...rs/2608BS/6073 .
I have the 2017 Flagstaff version of the trailer you posted. A couple of differences, we have an RV queen that runs north/south (headboard at the back of the trailer and the bedroom slide is a wardrobe. We go thru our bath, no hallway. We have a full width storage under the bed. Front of the trailer is nearly identical - front kitchen. I think in your version, there is storage under the bed in the slideout.
Anyway, my DW really loves the trailer and setup, does not want anything bigger. Everything is usable even with the slides in. At a camper crawl during one of the FR rallies, everyone who came thru commented on how roomy the inside was!
As noted in my signature, I tow it with a F-150 and it handles wonderfully. My trailer has been weighed and has 950 lbs of tongue weight.I use a Propride hitch which I've been told makes the trailer tow similar to a 5ver. To the point on one occasion I had a camping neighbor who watched me park come over and comment on how tight a turn backing up that I could make. He didn't think I was going to make it into the site.
Good luck with your search.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:18 AM   #12

We recently purchased a 2018 Flagstaff Super Lite with rear kitchen. We pull with a F350 with single rear wheels using a weight distribution hitch and sway bar that came with it. It does fine towing and with the electric tongue Jack, hitching is pretty easy. I don’t have a backup camera so I made the device in photo to help with how far to back up. (That idea came from this forum). I hitch by myself most of the time.
We’ve had both TT and 5er. I never liked the slow turning response of the 5er but it might have had a lot to do with the F350 crew cab, long bed and it’s awful turning radius.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13DCC3A1-4326-4E6A-8F7A-737530E8D569.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	279897  
Old 10-01-2022, 05:20 AM   #13

Before we bought our current 5ver we seriously considered the Palomino River Ranch 5ver. Once inside the floor is level throughout and it has if I remember correctly 7' of headroom throughout also. Almost the entire underbelly is storage this one of the main things that I liked about it, it is designed for the Full Timer. AC is in the cargo area and is more of a Residential type and is ducted through the floor that is why the ceiling is level throughout.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also have owned both tt and 5ers. I love the way the 5er handles on the road compared to the tt. I had a tt for some of the reasons that where mentioned with DW having issues with steps. When she passed away I went back to a 5er even tho I have bad knees and ankle. So much easier to hitch up and do not have to handle the heavy hitch and bars for sway system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #15
Canadian Member

I’ve also had both TTs and a 5er - all Rockwoods. I always hear people say how a fifth wheel tows so much better but honestly my experience was that it wasn’t a dramatic difference. After 3 adjustments setting up the Equal-i-zer WDH on my 32’ TT I had it dialled in extremely well. As for the hitching experience, that was night and day better with the fifth wheel. I have a B&W Patriot hitch that I pretty much leave in year round except when I need the full bed. The base is quite heavy to remove.

We are seriously looking at downsizing because our 35’ 5er restricts our options for sites. Getting under 32’ will give us more sites at our favourite Provincial Parks. We are looking at either the Rockwood 2442BS or 2445WS (28’11” long) fifth wheel or the 8262RBS (29’11” long) or the Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S (25’10” long). I like the single level and lower roof of a TT but the hitching setup is so much better with a 5er and you typically get more outside storage with a 5er.

Now that they are using Azdel on both sides of their exterior walls it makes it even more appealing to get a new one.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #16

Ok , 2 feet taller roof of a 5ver , I know you couldn't go where I go . Apparently your in New Mexico, I'm in Michigan . There are many roads here in the north with a canopy of trees . A tunnel, so no you couldn't go where I go .
Old 10-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #17

The other thing to consider as we get older and have our health problems is resale. When the camping season of our life is over, there are more buyers for a TT than a fifth wheel. More trucks that can pull them plus more people that want the lower price tag.
SK ON THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK ON THE ROAD View Post
The other thing to consider as we get older and have our health problems is resale. When the camping season of our life is over, there are more buyers for a TT than a fifth wheel. More trucks that can pull them plus more people that want the lower price tag.
Maybe, maybe not. Probably depends on what area you are in and where/how you advertise your sale.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #19

Don't forget with the TT you gain the full use of your pickup bed.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #20
Casual Camper

Travel Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
My wife and I are retired. We tow a fifth wheel. We are going to look for a new RV. Thinking of travel trailer (one floor) due to health. I am looking at ultra light and Signature in Rockwood line. My wife likes front kitchen plans. I tow with a Chev Silverado HD 2500. It has payload of 3,115 from door sticker, 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear end. Front kitchens have heavier hitch weights. I would like to know how well their travel trailers tow. I am impressed with their build quality. We are looking at about 30' in length. Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.
Steve
For a couple, my DW and I strongly recommend the Rockwood 2608BS. It's a front kitchen floor plan with a great layout. Your existing tow vehicle should have no problem pulling it, as we pull with a half ton Chevy. It's at the top of the range I would pull with a half ton, and I only pull in the relatively flat upper Midwest, but your 3/4 ton should be able to pull it anywhere.

RV - 2021 Rockwood 2608BS
Ex-tenter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel