Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #41

Sorry about so long in getting back on here. Monday a week ago we took rv back to Ron Hoover to check it out. Had a few more issues to deal with. Freezer was frosting up more than usual. Oven pilot light would not stay on. Also, a window was broken in the slide out on the bedroom side. It was like that when we drove it home but didn't notice while doing the walk through. The dealership will check the axle to make sure it is in line. Not sure how efficient the repair guys are. Didn't care for some of the answers we have gotten. Been checking the last few days to make sure they are working on it. you would think a week and half would be enough but today was told they are ordering parts for refrig and oven. Taking measurements for window. Shouldn't there be a standard window to order for this rv? I would think so. Just at this moment don't know really what to think. We are planning a trip the week of Memorial weekend and hoping it will be finished by then. I might add that we had a Wilderness Lite for 12 years. No problems except for a leak between the holding tank and floor. Had to replace the floor. That was all the issues we had with it. Everything worked like a charm. We wanted to upgrade to a better built and new features and now looks like we have started off with multiple problems. Hoping all will be resolved and we can enjoy without more problems. We had even though about going with a fifth wheel if the dealership would let us trade. Just don't want to have a loss. We paid quite a bit down on this rv. Is this normal to start out with this many problems? About the swaying, will not know any thing about it till they finish with whatever they can do with the axle. Will keep you posted as things progress. Thanks for your interest and opinions with this problem.
porter lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #42

I don't know if anyone has experience the same thing as we are, but it seems the service guys at the dealerships are not very intelligent. Not meaning to belittle anyone. We have just had bad experiences with them. They sell you these rv's and then it is hard to get them to return calls and the service is bad. (While we were at the dealership, a couple brought their fifth wheel in and said they couldn't get anyone to return calls and was going to bring in and have checked. It was their a/c that was not working good and their dvd players and speakers. You would not believe the answer that was given for the a/c. Said it would only cool 20 degrees lower than outside temperature.) We know for a fact that our previous rv's a/c would freeze you out in the summer with 100 degrees outside. That is the kind of people we are dealing with. For future repairs, would like to find someplace that we feel would know what they are doing and do the repairs in a timely manner. Sorry to rant but just how I am feeling at the moment.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #43

Boy this has gone from a (Fishtailing post) to a total rebuild? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #44

Thanks for waiting for a reply. I appreciate all the input and will definitely take it all in consideration for when we get the rv back. If it is still swaying we may have to go with a different hitch. (unless we have an opinion to trade it in for a fifth wheel). I really like the way this rv is made and really would like to keep it. Hopefully we can solve the problem. Will keep you all posted as we find out something. As of right now, trying to stay on top of the service guys to get it all done in a timely manner. May be a couple of days before I can update as will have nothing to report until they are finished with it. Thanks again
Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #45

Took rv to dealership Monday a week ago. Waiting to find out what the problem is with swaying. Also, having a few more things checked out while in for service. Hopefully will get back in time for camping Memorial week. Anxious to see if the swaying problem is resolved. Will keep in touch.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Without sway controls, you will not be able to tow that trailer very far. If nothing else, have 2 friction sway controls put on it. If the dealer can't or won't do it, take it to a welding shop, you HAVE to have sway control.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Without sway controls, you will not be able to tow that trailer very far. If nothing else, have 2 friction sway controls put on it. If the dealer can't or won't do it, take it to a welding shop, you HAVE to have sway control.
I have to agree with having the friction sway control it worked on my old trailer, taking the sway out of it, that is. My v lite had them on from the time I got it because of the problems we had with sway in our old trailer.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter lizard View Post
We bought a 2014 V-lite. We pulled it home and couldn't get it over 60 mph without it swaying all over the highway. It was very scary! I bought a Anderson sway control hitch. Pulled it to the Lake and it swayed the same way. It would actually push us off the highway. I pulled it with a duramax 2500 Diesel truck. Very disappointed in it. Does anyone have a clue to what is wrong.
Guys even if he just dropped it on a plain ball and took off it shouldn't be doing what he's describing.

It's got to be way off level or something wrong in the trailer suspension to be handling like this. That or it was during some awful crosswinds.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #49

That's why I said in my first post sounds tail heavy, but could need to be adjusted at the hitch and dropping the nose so that the whole truck and trailer are level.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #50

30WFKSS

Just to let everyone know I bought a new Andersen WDH and sway control 14000. I have had TT for 35 years and my last one was a wilderness 31 and I never had to use the sway control at all. this one has really got me puzzled. the dealeship is not being very helpful the salesman should have had the mechanic drive or ride with me instead of the salesman.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #51

I have a 2003 duramax 2500 diesel I have brand new E rated tires 80 PSI I have a new Andersen WDH sway control hitch and nothing in trailer
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #52

Just an update. Today is starting the third week since rv has been at the dealership. Nothing, not one thing has been done, even though checking every few days with them and acting like they were doing something, such as taking measurements and ordering parts. Talked to service guy this morning and said he will check to see if it is covered under warranty!!! And saying will take measurements and see what needs to be done. Is that so??? Really??? When the problem was discovered towing it home after purchase!!! We have a camping trip scheduled for the Memorial Day Week of which we go every year. Now only a week away and nothing done on the rv and no time if we get it back to furnish for the trip. Such a bummer!! Should have kept our Wilderness Lite. No problems just wanted to update to a newer model and three times the cost and what do we get. Sorry to vent. Just don't know what recourse we have now.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #53

Today, manager said measurements have to be taken of window. Shouldn't this model have a standard window for this rv? Said axle was off. Adjusted freezer and waiting to see if is ok. Not sure about oven. We can pick up on Friday, but will have to take back to get window fixed. I suppose they have the upper hand. We don't seem to have any say in this. Wish could find an rv place that had good service and good customer care.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #54
NELA

Actually most A/C techs will tell you that A/C systems are designed to maintain the temps inside 20* lower than outside temps. Of course, you should consider your insulation, airtightness of the dwelling, etc.

I was advised by folks here that when going through our first warranty claim with our V-Lite that getting confrontational with your dealer won't help. They were right. I was frustrated that the repair was taking so long, UNTIL it was discovered there was a huge breakdown in communication; the person I was dealing with did not know we'd made a reservation/appointment for the repair WELL in advance of bringing our V-Lite in. Once that was resolved our unit was repaired and released to us within a 3 days.

Keep in mind that this is probably the BUSIEST time of year for RV dealers. We have a couple of minor adjustments that need to be made on our new 5er (drawer or two) and there's no WAY we're taking it in now....we'll wait until things are slower for our dealer.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #55

I'm having the same type of incompetence at my dealer. A little over 3 months for slide out weatherstrip. When I went to pick it up, they installed the wrong weatherstrip. It didn't seal. The genius who installed it actually told me that the slides should be brought in when it rains!! WTH?! Two weeks have passed since they "reordered" a new weatherstrip gasket. Still waiting for it to arrive. Frankly, I'm tired of managing the service manager to get her to do her job and follow up with things. Kinda feel like if I don't keep after her, she will just forget to do anything.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #56

fish tailing

It's the new American way. Dealers pay these people minimum wages and your not going to get quality people for nothing. The pride of craftsmanship is diminishing. I watch these folks work around the shop and it's scary. We couldn't sell enough units to pay quality people if we all got together and started a dealership based on the prices set by the manufacturer. Everyone tries to undercut the other and we the consumer are paying for that. Let's be honest...when was the last time you end through one of those fast food drive-thru places and got the correct order? And they now want $10.00 minimum wage for the same people who screwed you in the drive-thru.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #57

Hey Porter, I hope things get worked out for you. My unit is still working perfectly. As for pulling it, no problems. It stays behind me nicely. Even at 110km/hr. I found that the dealer does make a big difference. The dealership I am dealing with Paradise RV has gone through a stage of hiring guys that would work cheap and had no experience or training. It almost folded the dealership. They have changed out management and hired experienced techs now and the service has changed dramatically.

When I was looking for my new TT I didn't want to talk to a salesman. I instead asked for a tech to show me what I wanted. That's where you get the real information! Plus I gave him a list of features I wanted and he immediately narrowed it down to two models. (Rather than the other 15 that I did not want to look at that the sales guys drag you through.) I chose the Particular TT because he said they were the least troublesome and the easiest to service.

For me I would rather deal with someone who is non commissioned and is just interested in giving me the real life facts.

Now the actual purchase had to be done by a salesperson and I did manage to find a good one. It can be tough but I can happen. Rhett actually seems to care about making sure I am happy and has home the extra mile to ensure that I am.

Good luck to you and I hope it all works out for you. Maybe we will see each other sometime.
polymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #58
NELA

I keep reading posts about salesmen....at our (beloved) dealership...we didn't even SEE a salesman unless he was out on the yard with another buyer, until we were ready to talk to one about a specific model.

Unlike a car lot, when they come zooming at you on a golf cart as soon as you pull onto the lot, at our (beloved) dealership they leave you alone until you're ready to talk to THEM. Both times we were allowed total leisure to look, relook, and look again. We spent over an hour (two different days...an hour each time) checking out the different floor plans of the 5er we have now. Not once did a salesman start hovering like a vulture over us. Totally refreshing concept!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #59

fish tailing

I firmly believe in the non commissioned part. Haven't found to many commissioned people that know which end is up!!!
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #60

Finding the same issue with a V-Lite sold by Carpenter's Camper here in Pcola. Can't get over 60 mph without major sway. Dealer claims everything is OK but the trailer was setup without much explanation on Ram 1500. I'm having the setup examined by outside company to see if there is a defect in the Vlite or trailer hitch setup. Very disappointing. The V-lite is marketed as a dream tow. Not the case.
Pensacola rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, towing, v-lite