Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #1

Question Flagstaff 831KRSS Airbed

We have a 2009 831KRSS and the rear airbed under the swing bunk when it is fully inflated an adult can not lay on the bed on their side, not enough room between the bunk and the bed (when the bunk is in the sleepable position). I think that the coach is different from 08 to 09. Does anyone else have this problem?

Adrinnea
05 Chev Avalanche
09 Flagstaff 831 KRSS
1 Husband 2 Boys (5&7) 1 Yellow Lab

PS. Please tell me what you like and dislike about your 831 KRSS
camper_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Well, I am well pleased with my FR product (Rockwood 8280SS) and the support I have gotten so far from FR and the dealer.

As to your problem, and I assume you mean the hide-a-bed air bed that folds up into the couch, have you tried turning around in the bed so that your feet are under the bunk? Might seem awkward at first, but it has the advantage that if the kid in the bunk gets up in the middle of the night he doesn't step on your stomach. Your knees maybe, but not your stomach!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Check with your dealer. They may be able to raise the bunk a bit to give you more clearance.

Take some pictures of it and we might be able to make some suggestions as to what might work.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

I have an 09 krss and i thought the same thing myself when i inflated the airbed for my son. I doubt anyone will ever sleep on the bunk above the airbed, but if so the only solution i see to avoid knocking your head off is to sleep in the opposite direction with your head away from the top bunk. This shouldnt be a problem since both ends of the air mattress are the same so i dont think youd notice a difference.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
I have an 09 krss and i thought the same thing myself when i inflated the airbed for my son. I doubt anyone will ever sleep on the bunk above the airbed, but if so the only solution i see to avoid knocking your head off is to sleep in the opposite direction with your head away from the top bunk. This shouldnt be a problem since both ends of the air mattress are the same so i dont think youd notice a difference.
Mine is different at the head. But if that bothers you, unstrap the mattress from the frame and turn it around. That would make the pump easier to reach, too.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

Our kids sleep with their feet under the bunk. The air mattress the other way isn't well thought out. If you inflate it with the head under the bunk, you can't hardly reach the controls as they get pushed against the back wall. By turning it around, we can easily inflate/deflate it and we don't have the problem with the upper bunk.

We have had problems with the air mattresses. The first trip we made, we had a pinhole in one of the air mattresses. The dealer replaced it but it took over 3 months. The next season, the second (original) air mattress had a pinhole leak. Since it was over a year old (only used twice) the dealer wouldn't replace it. I haven't found the hole yet. We ended up using a WalMart air mattress for the rest of the season.

The dealer suggested that we not fold our mattress up with the frame. He suggested that we take the mattress off and store it under the sofa. That negates the design of the sofa-bed and you lose valuable storage. We are down to one mattress from Forest River (the one that was replaced) and a cheap WalMart one. If the second one from forest River fails, we'll just go to WalMart replacements as a replacement mattress from Forest River was around $185. WalMart was $40.
dave_petersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, flagstaff