Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #1

Flagstaff Brakes

I recently purchased a 28' 2011 Flagstaff 8528 5th wheel. I tow it with a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with an integrated brake controller. I previously had a Coachman that I towed and stopped no problems.

It had very few miles as it was a seasonal unit. When I first towed it I found the brakes barely worked, even with the gain set at 10. After a lot of diagnostics the tech finally just decided to replace the drums, shoes and magnets. He told me it was working fine on his truck, however when I took it out there was still very little braking.

They did a test where they pulled the emergency brake plug and the wheels locked up, but when it was plugged back in I had no response to the brakes or the display on the dash. They connected the yard truck to it and the brakes held fine. I also connected my truck to a different trailer and those brakes worked perfectly.

For some reason my trailer brakes will not work on my truck. Anyone heard of this before or have any suggestions I can diplomatically I can give the tech please?

Thanks.
Steve Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
clr

May be time to break out the manual that came with the truck. Many GMC/chevy trucks have to be programed as I recall there are three level of breaking on the built in controller, High, med and low. Others have said that they had to go to the high setting to have proper braking.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Brakes

OK Chuck thanks. I had it to the GMC dealer to check the controller, one would have thought they would check that, but..... I'll follow up on it.
Steve Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, flagstaff