Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Flagstaff Brand being discontinued rumour

My wife and I are new to the travel trailer life and we are loving it. We purchased a 2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS in the spring and have camped more than 35+ nights this summer. We have made our share newbie mistakes but, with the exception of bruised ego, for the most part we have had very few problems.

You can imagine our dismay while attending the RV show this week-end in Novi, MI to pick up some campground information and trailer add ons when we overheard some very disturbing remarks from a Rockwood factory rep. The gist of the comments had to do with Rockwood being the superior brand to Flagstaff to point that the Flagstaff brand is going to be discontimued. Now we are concerned that we will be the owners of an orphaned, unsupported trailer brand and that since we didn't compare the Rockwood brand to our unit whether the superiority claim is valid. Have any other forum members heard of any substance to this rumour?
rlwestbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I may be way out of line, but I think basically the Rockwood & Flagstaff models are identical. Badge engineering comparable to GM building Chevrolet Camaros/Pontiac Firebirds, Chev Cobalts/Pontiac G5s & Chev & GMC pickups. Same vehicles w/ slightly different body panels, w/ identical underpinnings.

When I was I was looking for my TT in '08, my brother found 2 FR floorplans on the 'net that he thought I would like. Each floorplan had a Rockwood version & a Flagstaff version.

My question to those in the know is, "Are these "twins" built in the same plant or are they built separately in Rockwood & Flagstaff plants? If the trailers are built in the same plant, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the assemblers really don't know what brand the trailer is as it's going thru the assembly process until the graphics are applied (if that's near the end).

If the the rumour is true & I'm implying a big IF, Forest River will still be around. Also, FR (like the other RV OEMs) sources most of the components from outside suppliers. You'll still be able to get parts & service for the trailer.

Friends of mine bought a new trailer a couple of years ago. Imagine their shock when they found out that the company (I don't recall the name) closed its doors about 6 months after they bought it.

The only thing I can add about Rockwood being superior to Flagstaff (and this is highly unscientific) is that some folks on here have said that there would appear to be more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff. In my area I know of 1 dealer that carries Flagstaff, another Rockwood & a 3rd that handles Rockwood Roos.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Forest River is the manufacturer of both and will be around for a long time to come. I agree totally with Revrnd's comments.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
camping

I know the V-lites and Windjammers are built in the same plant, I have seen one behind the other coming off the line. The differences are interior color schemes and decals.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #5

I would not be scared because they will drop the flagstall emblem. Both the rockwood and the flagstahh are identical except outside decals and interior fabric difference. I just traded my flagstaff for a rockwood because the flagstaff dealer was too far from my home but the trailer was basically the same. It is like dodge and plymouth from chrysler. They dropped plymouth and kept dodge but the 2 products were rhe same.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #6

What else would you expect the Rockwood rep to say? He is a liar about Rockwood being superior. Even if FR dropped the Flagstaff badging, there will be no problem getting service or parts.
Besides, I kindof like having something different, as I see lots of Rockwoods, but few Flagstaff's, and the badging on the Flagstaff is more attractive.
Be proud of your new purchase!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

Capucine, You just said yourself that they were identical, therefore obviously made by the same manufacturer, therefore the Rockwood dealer near you should have serviced the Flagstaff as well with no problems. The only differences are cosmetic. Same parts on both units, same company to get warranty authorization from. I don't see why you traded your camper for that reason, alone. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Hello: I hope the rumors aren't true. I have an 07 Flagstaff 5er 8528GTSS and I've had various minor and not so minor problems with it. I've taken it back to the dealer a few times so I hope FS doesn't go out of business. Might need them again. Speaking of which. Does anyone know where and how to order the plastic trim that goes around the slideout/wheel well? We just got back from a trip and the the 3 sections that make up this trip cracked and broke off????
thanks
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO4THEROAD View Post
Hello: I hope the rumors aren't true. I have an 07 Flagstaff 5er 8528GTSS and I've had various minor and not so minor problems with it. I've taken it back to the dealer a few times so I hope FS doesn't go out of business. Might need them again. Speaking of which. Does anyone know where and how to order the plastic trim that goes around the slideout/wheel well? We just got back from a trip and the the 3 sections that make up this trip cracked and broke off????
thanks
This is who made my trim for the 2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS.

There was a sticker on the trim piece that remained on the slide. Seems the piece is a standard piece of plastic trim made by: (and this is why I am posting it)

TRAVEL STAR PRODUCTS
Part Number: TS71164MS
Description: TANDEM FENDER

Name: Travel Star Products
Street: 64524 County Road 27
Goshen, in 46526-6982
Phone: (574) 533-0447
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

You can get parts directly from Forrest River if not available from a local dealer. 574-534-3167 is their parts department.

tgif: let's RV - HobbyTalk
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #11

I don't think there is any reason to panic, IF Flagstaff is dropped. Remember Oldsmobile? Pontiac? Plymouth? Or soon to be extinct Hummer and Saturn? The parent company is still there, G.M. and Chrysler, therefore warranties and service will still be carried out on these, and the same is true IF the Flagstaff name gets the boot. Anyway, many other manufacturer's products go into the construction of any camper, there is actually very little- (except the woodwork) that is actually built by Forest River, and like stated above, Rockwood is virtually the same unit. So if Forest River needs to streamline/downsize their operation, it's not nearly as bad as it may seem, and may allow them to improve their quality, for those out there that have issues with F.R. Randy
Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #12

They are built in the same building, on the same line, by the same workers.
As others have stated, the only difference is the interior colors and exterior badging/striping.

I don't think you'll have a problem with warranty or parts, IF the rumor is true, but I seriously doubt it.
I think all you heard was the standard RV sale-man talk.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
So if Forest River needs to streamline/downsize their operation, it's not nearly as bad as it may seem, and may allow them to improve their quality, for those out there that have issues with F.R. Randy
Randy, you hit the nail on the head IMO.

I can't get my head around the proliferation of brands/models each manufacturer has. The money spent on differentiating (is that a word?) each brand could be better spent.

Why not 3 or 4 brands of varying price range/features/options? Use those brands across the board, popups, TTs, 5ers & toy haulers. If you want a BIG RV Co. low end version, you buy Brand C. High end, Brand A. Brand B would be in the middle.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Randy, you hit the nail on the head IMO.

I can't get my head around the proliferation of brands/models each manufacturer has. The money spent on differentiating (is that a word?) each brand could be better spent.

Why not 3 or 4 brands of varying price range/features/options? Use those brands across the board, popups, TTs, 5ers & toy haulers. If you want a BIG RV Co. low end version, you buy Brand C. High end, Brand A. Brand B would be in the middle.

Ditto,

The only reason I see for all the brands is there are people who hate the ME Too look. I thought it was kind of neat when we went to Ontario this summer to have only seen 2 or 3 Flagstaff trailers and we had the only FR V type trailer in 6000km. It was neat but I would not have cared if there were a hundred but some people do.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #15

I guess that's right. We've had our FR Flagstaff for 4 years now and have travelled quite a bit. In all those years of travelling, I have only seen ONE other Flagstaff on the road. I believe it was up in the state of Washington and it was a TT. I suppose someone other that myself has bought a Flagstaff but where are they?
M
Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #16

There are literally TONS of us Flagstaff owners on this very forum! I personally can name about 8 or ten of them that own V-lite's, as I do. They ARE out there. You just have to walk around your favorite campgrounds, and look around; you'll see them!! Randy
Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #17

Flagstaff TT's are very common in the campgrounds where I camp. In fact, as I own a Rockwood it seems to me that there are more Flagstaffs than Rockwoods around here. Maybe it is a regional thing?
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
When I was I was looking for my TT in '08, my brother found 2 FR floorplans on the 'net that he thought I would like. Each floorplan had a Rockwood version & a Flagstaff version.
Fate had that I was able to find a Rockwood. If fate had differed, I may have bought a Flagstaff. It didn't matter to me 1 way or the other what brand I was buying as long as the TT had the features I wanted .

Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #19

There seems to be more Flagstaff's around here- North to Central Florida, as well. A large dealer in this area sells Flagstaff's. Maybe that is why? Go figure....I have personally only seen two other V lites- one passing the other direction on the highway, and one in a local campground. I've seen plenty of other Flagstaff models, however. Mostly pop ups, believe it or not. Randy
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #20

I guess I just have to keep looking.. We're in Southern California. Just got back froma 3 week trip to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada... Didn't see one. Maybe they're like hen's teeth... you REALLY have to look for them...Thanks for all the input. In one of my earlier post I asked for information about getting replacement parts for my 5er. the trim over the wheel well on the slide out broke and fell off. I got quite a few responses and go the direct email address for the FR parts. Sent them an email today, waiting for a response... Thanks everybody again for your help.

Tags
flagstaff