Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #21

Where did you camp in Colorado? We used to go there every summer, riding our atv's. Simply awesome!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #22

Flagvlite: we did not trade our flagstaff for a rockwood just because the are going to drop the flagstaff brand. The reason was that my flagstaff was to small and we wanted a bigger trailer. The rockwood dealer was 15 minutes from home while the flagstaff dealer was hours away. We got a very good trade price for our flagstaff. We lost only 500$ in a period of 3 years.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #23

The salesman is just that, a salesman/liar/creep/malcontent/did I say Liar?
The reason there are Flagstaff dealers and Rockwood dealers is that Forest River is able to have more dealers in an area. For example, Tom Johnson sells Flagstaff in my area, if you want to sell Forest River products and are a dealer you would get Rockwood, Wildcat, Salem, etc.
I see more Flaggstaff's in my area, simply because Tom sells a lot of them. When we go to FL we see about the same amount of Flagstaff to Rockwoods.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #24

The sole purpose of having the two is to allow two dealers in the same market to sell different brands of the same thing and have "exclusive" rights to that brand in that market. They won't drop one or the other. No reason to under the current scenario.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Kim aren't they competing against each other, thus reducing prices & profit? I could see FR having dealers selling different product in the same area, but when Rockwood & Flagstaff are the same, people will buy on price.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Kim aren't they competing against each other, thus reducing prices & profit? I could see FR having dealers selling different product in the same area, but when Rockwood & Flagstaff are the same, people will buy on price.
The dealers are, but FR comes out ahead in the end by selling more units.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #27

The vast majority of the public do not know that the Rockwood and Flagstaff are basically the same unit so each band can stand on it's own. The good dealer (or better liar as shown in the OP's post) will sell more units even if the price is higher.

tgif: let's RV - HobbyTalk
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #28

I have heard people that don't have a clue say that they really loved Dodge products, but hated Plymouth;,same thing with Mercury and Ford, GMC and Chevy, as well.....Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #29
Infractee

I do agree with everybody else about RV sales people.
Never bought from a dealer before so when looking this summer for our new TT went to 11 different dealerships, all sales persons save for 1, were all absolute scumbag jerks that lied with every word that came out of their mouth. I was shocked at how bad they were, I have bought many new and used trucks and cars over the years and have always been treated well and other than a sale person not knowing something or unfamiliar with his product, I have never been lied to or treated like a waste of time if i was not writing a check at that moment like I was dealing with RV sales people.
It was so unnerving it was one of the main drivers in us buying from RVW. We could not see buying anything from a lying scumbag.

As for the OP, the only reason we picked the Rockwood over the Flagstaff was the interior colors. Me Wife, who was most instrumental in picking out the RV, did not like the colors in the Flagstaff at all. She liked the colors in the Rockwood better, still does not love them....(Thinks FR should hire her as an interior designer )

I can not see FR dropping Flagstaff, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Ignore that idiot, move on.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I have heard people that don't have a clue say that they really loved Dodge products, but hated Plymouth;,same thing with Mercury and Ford, GMC and Chevy, as well.....Randy
X2 on that.

Years ago I was @ a friend's house when my friend's father had a visitor. The father says to his visitor, "I see you got a new truck (a Chev)". The visitor replies, "Yeah, got this to replace that gas guzzlin' GMC I had". I knew what his previous truck was & I don't think there was much difference drivetrainwise between the 2 trucks.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
The sole purpose of having the two is to allow two dealers in the same market to sell different brands of the same thing and have "exclusive" rights to that brand in that market. They won't drop one or the other. No reason to under the current scenario.
I believe Hokiehall has it absolutely correct.

The only reason GM builds the GMC truck is so that non-Chevy dealers can also carry a truck line without "Stepping on the contractual toes" of Chevy dealers. BTW I think GMC is the better looking of the two. (I drive a F-150)

If you are a Rockwood dealer, there can't be another with "x" number of miles, but a Flagstaff dealer can park himself across the street.

Frankly the year I bought my Rockwood I thought Flagstaffs interior colors were much better, and 30 days after I ordered mine, Rockwoods colors got even worse!!

And they are in fact built by the same people in the same factory. The only cost savings to Forest River from killing Flagstaff would be not having to print a separate set of brochures and other marketing efforts.

Before buying, check the interior colors if that's important to you. As for Rockwood outselling Flagstaff, I don't know if we can prove that without asking FR.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #32

Just to pile on here, several previous posters are exactly right. The only differences between Rockwood and Flagstaff with the same floorplans are model numbers, decals and interior color combos. FR uses different names to have more dealers in an area. Each dealer gets an 'exclusive' territory.
We asked about differences with a RW rep (the factory guy, not a dealer salesman) and he said there is no difference in construction or features and that FR does not claim that one is superior to the other.
We bought FS because the dealer had a better RV show price special than the RW guy did for identical units. The people working the show were actual dealer people, not contractors hired for the show week-end. Made a difference.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #33

My wife and I have been through the factory on two occasions. We have seen both the Rockwood and Flagstaff coming down the same line side by side. Only difference is interior colors and exterior graphics.
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #34

Smile Flagstaff

We have a 2003 Flagstaff and I have had no problem with replacement parts for our camper. We had a blow out which damaged the wheel skirt and underpanel. I contacted Forest River and the parts were not a problem. I also order new stickers for the front window panel as they are looking sad, again no problems. This is why we like Forest River they seem to support their Trailers really well!!!
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #35

hoovercab: Many trailer over the years hardly changes model. I had a flagstaff tent trailer 2003 and today it is basically the same trailer with hardly any changes. Like this parts keeps flowing from years to years.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
hoovercab: Many trailer over the years hardly changes model. I had a flagstaff tent trailer 2003 and today it is basically the same trailer with hardly any changes. Like this parts keeps flowing from years to years.
Well we are the oldies but goodies on this site, I just think because the industry changes so fast it is nice to see a company that supports their products, even us older models.
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff