Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 08:04 AM   #1

Flagstaff front cap marker lights

Hello all,

I'm newly registered to the forums, as I just purchased a 2021 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RK fifth wheel. All trailer lights work except the amber LED markers on top of front cap.

I suspect a wire has come loose somewhere upstream of those lamps, but I dont know where those wires are ran in the trailer or where they are fed from.

Has anyone had a similar problem and able to figure out if these are fed from one of the side mounted front amber lights?

Thanks,

Brian R
bredick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

This thread has been moved from the Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar forum to the Flagstaff forum for unit specific help.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:16 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from the Space Coast of Florida.

Are both marker lights out? Have you physically popped off the amber lenses and ensured that there are bulbs in them?

It will be difficult if not impossible I would think to add wires to the lights in the cap if you canít find where the source is.

It would make sense that they connect from either side maker light. After you ensure the bulbs are good I would remove the marker light on each side and see if there is a wire loose. The lights , I assume, are wired in parallel so not sure what you might find.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:44 AM   #4

LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Welcome to the forum from the Space Coast of Florida.

Are both marker lights out? Have you physically popped off the amber lenses and ensured that there are bulbs in them?

It will be difficult if not impossible I would think to add wires to the lights in the cap if you canít find where the source is.

It would make sense that they connect from either side maker light. After you ensure the bulbs are good I would remove the marker light on each side and see if there is a wire loose. The lights , I assume, are wired in parallel so not sure what you might find.
Dalford, the OP stated that they are LED fixtures. LEDs are probably non-removable.

I suggest the following sequence, probably similar to yours. Note that all marker lights are likely daisy-chained, so I expect all connections but the last one to have at least three positive and three negative wires at each splice.

We are going to look for a defective crimp or wire nut behind the lights.
  • Connect the umbilical to the tow vehicle and turn on lights.
  • Dismount one front corner LED light. If there are only two wires (one feed, one to the fixture), dismount the other front corner LED light and continue.
  • After you dismount the light, tug gently on the wiring in the wall until the wirenut/crimp connections come through the hole and are visible.
  • Simply tug each wire that goes into the wirenut. If one pops free, you've found the problem.
  • We will measure the voltage at the lights. Set your multimeter to the 20Vdc scale and turn it on. There are three ways to check for voltage.
    1. Force the multimeter probes into the wirenuts/crimps.
    2. Put a straight-pin right through each wire and touch the probes to the pins. (No cleanup is needed after this technique, since the holes close.) Do this to the wires feeding the lights, not the fixtures, because we know there's no power at the fixtures.
    3. Use your utility knife (box cutter) to shave off a spot of insulation on each wire. Touch the multimeter probes to both spots. Same as above--do this to the wires that feed the crimps, not the wires leading to the fixtures.
  • If you can't find any voltage, anywhere, then there's probably a bad crimp on the wires coming to the front marker lights. Check the top front corner lights in the same way. Apparently they have power, too. If they don't, check the side marker lights that are farthest forward.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #5

I will pull a side marker and see if I can find the feed wires to the cap. These are the little round LED lights in the cap that arent working. Makes sense the factory would tap into one side or the other from the side marker.

Thanks,

Brian R
Old 02-24-2024, 02:25 PM   #6

Sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredick View Post
I will pull a side marker and see if I can find the feed wires to the cap. These are the little round LED lights in the cap that arent working. Makes sense the factory would tap into one side or the other from the side marker.

Thanks,

Brian R
Brian, you've deduced that the fault is in a line between one of the side markers and the corresponding cap marker (as I did).

But we don't know whether the bad connection is at the side marker end or the cap marker end. I suggested doing the cap marker first. You suggested doing the side marker first. It doesn't matter; it's a coin toss for which it is.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:45 PM   #7

How difficult is it to remove the cap marker without damaging them? Do they just push into a rubber grommet?
Old 02-24-2024, 09:46 PM   #8

I have an older 2016 flagstaff. In the storage compartment at the front it has some tbib wood at the front and on the side that covers the wires. Mine has a small opening at the top. You can put your phone in there and aim the camera around and take some pictures to get an idea what you are looking for.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:52 PM   #9

I've looked in the compartments around the cap, but no access panels that I could see. I haven't pulled drawers out of nightstand yet though.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:36 AM   #10

They just pull out with some creative force/pressure, easy to break if not careful.
FlagstaffBen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, light

« Snow | Upgrades »