Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
2017 Flagstaff MicroLite

Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 firs couch

We are thinking about replacing our jack knife couch with a RecPro double recliner, but we are wondering about any weight difference and potential problems with the slide-out. Anyone know what the weight difference is? Or, has anyone done this? Thanks
fixedwing2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedwing2 View Post
We are thinking about replacing our jack knife couch with a RecPro double recliner, but we are wondering about any weight difference and potential problems with the slide-out. Anyone know what the weight difference is? Or, has anyone done this? Thanks
A couple of things .
1. the jacknife sofa in the trailer is made so that it fits on the lip of the slide out.

2. replacing this with a recliner type unit will mean that the seating area will 30+ inches off the floor. Kind of like a barstool
3. Forest river confirmed to me that the difference in weight would not affect the slide operation.
4. you would have to do some fabricating of something to replace the front of the sofa as that covers the area for access to the slide motor.
5. the end arms of the sofa are not connected to the sofa and would either have to remain or be removed.

Yes I've considered doing exactly what you are thinking of. for now we bought two folding footstools.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
2017 Flagstaff MicroLite

Thanks tdiller. I haven’t looked underneath the couch, my bad. I’ll take a look tomorrow. We’re trying to find something a little more comfortable than the couch and we don’t need the extra sleeping space. As you have obviously already explored this option, we may be stuck. I really appreciate the informed reply. Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #4

I even went so far as to get fabric swatches from recpro. Dimensions of the recliner also means front to back space will be tight.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
I traded mine in to get a recliner. The couch is only a top half. The bottom is a box for the slide mechanism etc.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

Smile flagstaff micro lite 21fbrs couch

we have a 2017 21fbrs with the jackknife sofa as well. I did not find any recliner that would work. I removed the sofa and bought some good quality seat material from pat cantans. I installed it between the spring supports and existing cushions and it made a world of difference. We are now happy with it. Good luck.
joe1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #7

Joe, would you mind sharing a few photos of your sofa upgrade, please.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
Joe, would you mind sharing a few photos of your sofa upgrade, please.
X2
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
I traded mine in to get a recliner. The couch is only a top half. The bottom is a box for the slide mechanism etc.
would you mind showing us a picture
Old 01-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks tdiller. I haven’t looked underneath the couch, my bad. I’ll take a look tomorrow. We’re trying to find something a little more comfortable than the couch and we don’t need the extra sleeping space. As you have obviously already explored this option, we may be stuck. I really appreciate the informed reply. Thanks
we have modified ours some so it leans back some and took a lot of the batten out of the back it sits a little more comfortable but still would love to have a recliner
Old 01-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

We also removed a lot of the batten from the back cushions, it is more comfortable. Still, we are considering replacing the JK with a Futon sofa of some sorts. A futon will fit on the platform without adding any height. There are several options that will fit in the slide.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
2017 Flagstaff MicroLite

The slide mechanism seems to be attached to the couch in our 21 fbrs. So it seems we’re stuck with the couch. How did you remove batten from couch without destroying it?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

honestly I can't remember traveling for work this week, I will look at it when I get home
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

We removed a fold out couch and installed two flex steel recliners (leather) There are no problems with the slide and they fit in the space great. Best thing we have changed in our trailer. We also changed out the cheep matters
Stickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
2017 Flagstaff MicroLite

There is a rail for the slide-out that is about 6” above the floor under couch that appears to be in integral part of the couch frame. When I get home I’ll look at it closer, but that’s the way I remember it. Which may say more about my memory than what’s actually there. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmam View Post
We removed a fold out couch and installed two flex steel recliners (leather) There are no problems with the slide and they fit in the space great. Best thing we have changed in our trailer. We also changed out the cheep matters
could you send some pictures please
Old 01-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
The slide mechanism seems to be attached to the couch in our 21 fbrs. So it seems we’re stuck with the couch. How did you remove batten from couch without destroying it?

Place the sofa in the flat position. Our top cushions (3) have zippers. We simply removed enough batten until the cushions felt comfortable. We removed enough batten to fill, stuff a large trash bag. We saved the removed batten, just in the case we might need to add more later.
As I mentioned earlier, I’ll be removing the Jack Knife sofa, and replacing with a more comfortable futon this weekend.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:

There is a platform that covers the slide mechanism, approximately 73”w, 34” deep. It looks like the JK sofa hardware is just bolted on the platform. I’ll remove the bolts, the JK sofa should just slide out.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
Place the sofa in the flat position. Our top cushions (3) have zippers. We simply removed enough batten until the cushions felt comfortable. We removed enough batten to fill, stuff a large trash bag. We saved the removed batten, just in the case we might need to add more later.
As I mentioned earlier, I’ll be removing the Jack Knife sofa, and replacing with a more comfortable futon this weekend.
how about some pics when you get this done
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
how about some pics when you get this done

I will.

Tags
flagstaff, lite