Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #1

Flagstaff Micro lite 22FBS or Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S

We are considering purchasing a Flagstaff Micro lite 22FBS or Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S. Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ram 1500 with an 11,600 pound towing capacity. The GVWR is just under 7000 pounds. Anyone see any issues with this arrangement? We will be purchasing a weight distribution hitch. Thanks!
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #2

No problem whatsoever. I pull my 2205S with a 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost with no issues. Regarding a WDH, seriously consider an Andersen. It’s lightweight (about 60 lbs shipping weight), quiet, clean (no grease needed), superb sway control, and it does a great job shifting weight forward. We love our camper and really appreciate the hitch.

Joe
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #3

We really like our Flagstaff Micro Lite 22FBS, our 6th camper. DW's 2020 Tundra with Equalizer WDH tows it great. Your Ram should be no problem.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #4

All Good!

We tug our 2205s with a '16 F150 2wd, 2.7 Ecoboost, 6sp trans, AND, a 3.31 axle.

Factory tow pkg, I added Air Lift 2k air bags, no squat also we use a 10k Equalizer hitch.

Zero tow issues. Runs up to merging turnpike speed like trailer was not there using "tow/haul" mode.

You will love either brand of trailer in that model!!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Now we just need to find the trailer locally!
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Russ View Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Now we just need to find the trailer locally!
Consider large internet dealers like RV Wholesalers, as well. You can saved $1000s, even including your costs of driving to get it. They'll also arrange for delivery to you, for a fee, of course. That cost would not be more then your local dealer has to pay for delivery, wanted.

There are many anecdotes on this forum of significant savings and positive outcomes buying long-distance. I'm not saying you shouldn't look locally but you definitely should compare.

If warranty work is a concern, RVW says they're willing to engage any local independent RV tech as their agent for warranty work. (Others may, too.) Many of the required repairs are small enough that you can do them yourself, and it takes far less time. You'll have to wait in line at your local dealer, even if you buy locally. They're busy.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #7

Road King, I tow a 2020 FlagStaff 21DS (-161 lbs per ForesetRiver) with a 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 3.92 gears. No problem performance wise towing.

I also have the Anderson WD Hitch. My limited experience towing with this combo above, 4 ½ trips, and reading about RAM's Coil Spring Rear Suspension not sure I'm quite sold on it. Set Up hitch at dealer in Greencastle PA to ride home to Baltimore, seemed okay. First Camping Trip to Point Look-Out, Southern Maryland, thought there was some slight porpoiseing .Anderson advertise there set-up alleviates porpoiseing that you get from metal torsion bars and driving down a bumpy hwy. Anderson also indicates to eyeball final set-up, not sure why they don't want you to take front measurements. On Anderson FAQ, I thought I read that over tightening the system can introduce porpoiseing. So on my last trip I decided to take some slack out of the chains (1/2”), pulled over to readjust, added back the 1/2”. Additionally Anderson FAQ talks about Ram 1500 Coil Springs and mention the possibility of having to add Air Bags! And my last harrowing experience was driving over the very bumpy Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore even thought it was my 4th trip over the bridge. Cruising at 55 mph near the top of the bridge, the vehicle and camper felt like I was riding one of the toy spring bucking horse that I rode as a kid. I eased of the gas and seemed worse so I maintained 55. I definitely remembering going very slow in the opposite direction one time because of traffic and being in the traffic the other times. But during the bucking experience, no traffic, hence I could pick how fast/slow I wanted to drive. As the one poster mention how light, CLEAN and easy to install I just want you to be forewarned by my limited experience.

Lastly not apples to oranges but I did borrow my son's 3,000 lb travel trailer 3x and his equalizer 4-point brand WDH that I set-up each time to my 2015 Nissan Frontier King Cab. Went over the same bridge and never experienced the bucking that I did with my Ram.

Neither hitch did I ever feel or experience sway other than the time I tried towing with 1/2” less tension on the Anderson.

I can honestly say towing the smaller camper with my Nissan yes it didn't feel like it was back there. Towing the 5,000 lb dry camper with the ram, yes you know it's there but plenty of power for towing, no struggling for accerration.
Should_Have is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

Air Bags. YES!

Cant speak to the Dodge and coil springs, but sounds possibly as if something is not set correctly...

Our F150/Equalizer Hitch set up with our 2205s goes down the road super smooth and controllable.

I did add the AirLift 2k bags, which are a very well made product and they have improved ride quality a whole lot, just going over rough sections of road truck rides so much smoother.

For that matter, when not towing, the truck rides much smoother than without the bags.

I adjust the air in bags to what load I have and am very happy with the ride.

I will never have another pickup and not have air bags on it, whether 1/2 ton or bigger.

I would go over your set up again, you should have a smooth controllable ride...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

CatDaddy, 99% of the time I do have a smooth controllable ride. Francs Scott Key Bridge is a different story/animal. I remember as kid my father complaining about how crapie the paving is going over said bridge. A lot of folks will conform/complain about Ram's Coil Springs vs leaf springs. As much as I would like to try air bags, again 90% to say unloaded does make the ride harsher. Trust me I have gone over Anderson install instructions but there is one parameter I can't meet. I am assuming it's because of the coil spring. When I set the top of the ball 1 1/2" higher then the hitch and set the trailer on the hitch, the front of the trailer should not drop more than 1 1/2". No such luck mine drops like 2 1/2". I don't want to raise the ball up an additional 1 1/2" because in the position I have it in now, tensioned, my trailer is 1/4" high. I would like my trailer tongue to be low vs high.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #10

I pulled our 2015 25DS with a 2013 Silverado 5.3 with 3.42 gears. It pulled the 4,500ish lbs with no problem. I now have a 2020 25FBLS weighing in around 5,500ish. I had an Equalizer with chains and additional sway bars on the 2013. I now have the Equalizer E2 which incorporates sway control and it seems to be much better.

Brian - 61
Karen - ??
2013 Silverado 4x4
2015 Micro Lite 25DS-SOLD - 2020 Micro Lite 25FBLS
Webleedblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, lite, mini lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite