Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Flagstaff Microlite 18RK

Hi,

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 Microlite 18RK from her brother, who had only used it four times. He knew next to nothing about the camper, so I'm on my own learning about it! The owner's manual is virtually useless because it appears to be written for every trailer that Forest River manufactures and very little applies to mine! This is our first camper and I'm learning as I go here. I've already managed to burn out the heating element in the water heater by turning it on when the tank was dry (mistake one), but after watching some Youtube videos, I'm confident I can replace the element easy enough. Now I suspect I may have damaged the water pump because it was working initially, but now it runs constantly, never shuts off and I have very little water pressure. Maybe it sat too long and the diaphragm dried out, not sure, but I can't get the system to pressurize completely. I've watched videos, read numerous posts about bleeding the air out of the water heater (see mistake one above), etc. By the way, the reason I think the water heater element is bad is because I got shocked draining the water out of the fresh water tank! Also, with the water heater switch on, you can get shocked just touching the key holes on the door handle! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and share my many woes of first time camper ownership. Thanks for reading and stay tuned as my saga continues.

David
Daytona Beach, FL
fectrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Flagstaff Microlite 18RK

If you run into a problem, ask a question here. Chances are someone else has had the same issue. You'd be surprised at the info you can find here. You can always use the search feature.
FYI the element takes a 1 1/16 socket

2012 F250 gas 373 gear
2013 Mini Lite 2104S
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Not sure where your brother kept the trailer in the off season (freezing temps) but take a look at the screen cover on the input side of the water pump. This past year the clear cover on mine cracked due to a little water left in the line after winterizing the trailer for the season. A easy fix with parts from Amazon.
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

It was in Tennessee and it was winterized, but that's a good point about the plastic filter housing on the pump. I had it off to check the filter, but I didn't look for small cracks, will have to check that again. Somehow, I think the system is drawing air in which would have to be on the inlet side of the pump.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Did you put the winterize valves at the hot water heater back into the summer position?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

From you first post about the water heater I would guess the water problem is the bypass is open. check your valves fill the water heater full by opening the relieve valve and see if that doesn't correct the problem. Let us know what you find and how you corrected it
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

After I ruined the heater element in the water heater, I discovered the bypass valves. They are set correctly now with the cold water into the heater and the hot water return both open, the bypass valve is closed now. I made sure the heater was full of water by opening the pressure relief valve on top until water came out of it. Now I need to replace the element which looks easy enough and start all over again. I'm wondering if I'm sucking in air where the "city pressure" connection is? I thought I saw in a thread somewhere that there is a check valve in that line, anyone know about that and how to get to it?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

My wife and I and 2 kids are looking at purchasing a 2013 Microlite 18RK. I am sure we will be asking questions as well.
jonesfamilycamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Ask away, I don't know how much help I will be, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum, it's been invaluable for me. We love our Microlite by the way, not sure how old your kids are, but it could get kind of tight with the sleeping arrangements. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

This will be our first travel trailer......kids are two and five, how large is that couch bed?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

Not very large. It may work for you, but your kids might outgrow it pretty quick depending on how long you plan on keeping the trailer. You'll know what I mean when you look at the camper in person.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

I just measured it, it's about 3.5' wide by a little over 4.5' long.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #13

Looked at Micro Lite last night and we really like it. The one owner is super knowledgeable and has taken great care of it. I wonder if anyone as attempted to modify the fold out couch bed where it is a little longer...and how do you fill in that empty space near the window?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfamilycamping View Post
Looked at Micro Lite last night and we really like it. The one owner is super knowledgeable and has taken great care of it. I wonder if anyone as attempted to modify the fold out couch bed where it is a little longer...and how do you fill in that empty space near the window?
I assume you mean the hole between the bed and the wall/window?
If so take a trip to your local walmart and go look through the pillow section for one of these:
Mainstays Body Pillow, 20" x 54" - Walmart.com

This is what we use with our murphy bed in our 23FB and it fills the hole perfect so our bed pillows dont fall in during the night.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Great. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
flagstaff