Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Flagstaff MicroLite 21DS Maiden Voyage Uh Oh..

We have a 2015 21DS with the murphy bed. We took it to a near-by state park to test everything out before taking it on an adventure up the east coast to Maine. When stowing the bed after the 2nd night out I noticed 2 screws popped out of the hinge and several others loose. Upon closer inspection it became obvious that the hinge is screwed into nothing more than a fabricated pressed board type of material. It's under warranty, but I wondered if anyone else has had this experience with a murphy bed.

Oh yeah...we also had no water. I called the dealer and he said as unusual as it is, he believes the pump may have lost its prime (also covered under warranty).
BellaLynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

were you hooked up to city water or using water from the FW tank?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

The water issue...OK...well, here goes...my angel was watching over me when the water didn't work. It would have come from the FW tank...but here's the thing...I'm new to this TT camping...I called the state park and asked if they had FW stations (our well water is extremely hard and rust filled) and the reply was "yes, at the dump station". I asked if this was the water to be used inside the trailer for dishes, showers, etc and she again replied "yes". So we get to the park, find the dump station and lo and behold, there are hoses there that are on a swing arm. I said to John..."I'm not sure about this" (he's a novice too)...but nowhere did it say non-potable...still...so I call the state park number again and say..."OK...I'm at the dump station and are you sure this is the water I use for the trailer...dishes, showers, etc"...again...with a sigh..."yes"...so guess what I fill the FW tank with...

Here is where my guardian angel comes into play...water won't come through any of the faucets or the toilet. No matter what we do, read the manuals, nothing worked...thank you, angel ...

Needless to say, we found out later that there is another water station for the FW tank...I will sanitize the tank, but I don't know if I'll ever use it again....my son, who is an avid camper and Navy corpsman thinks it will be OK to sanitize and flush it with a strong bleach solution several times...feedback is much appreciated...just don't laugh too much...
Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

I'm guessing ya'll are speechless over my stupidity (I should have gone with my instincts regardless of what the park employee told me over the phone) regarding the water issue since no one has chimed in...grins...I'm really OK with some teasing/ribbing...but I am really wondering what I should do...do I need to replace the FW tank and all the lines to the sinks and shower or would a (or several) strong bleach sanitizations be enough? The water that came out of the hose was clear and odorless...although I understand that bacteria is odorless.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Not stupid at all, some of the parks are better about putting signs up for the different water sources

I would empty the tank and sanitize the tank with bleach solution, pump that into your water lines ( provided you have the pump problem solved) let that sit overnight then drain and flush with fresh water...your good to go.

The water from the dumps is usually clean water the only thing is the spigots are not kept clean, so any bacteria that went into your tank is minimal and the bleach sanitizer should handle the problem.

Trust me, your not the first to do this

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

Agree, don't replace all the stuff. Just sanitize.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jhochst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

Thank you both for your reply...I have to admit I was really a little freaked out about what I did and what the consequences may be. I feel less so after reading your posts.

On the other matter of the bed and the water pump...John and I are set to adventure up to Maine on the 10th of this month and the local dealers, to which we were referred by FR, could not get us in before the end of the month. I called Elkhart and explained our dilemma (reservations at Acadia NP made many months ago) and not being able to get into local FR dealers in time...they are squeezing us in to get the repair work done at the plant...KUDOS to Forest River for making it happen. I'm grateful.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #8

I have heard that many times. I purchased my rockwood 1905 from a dealer 10miles from where it was made. Hope I never have to use warranty, but I'm sure I'm good. Happy camping!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Thanks Jhochst. I'll admit to being disappointed with the bed and water pump fail on a new unit, but I'm appreciative of FR's efforts to get us on the road in a timely manner for our trip. I'll let ya'll know how we make out with the repairs.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #10

The one thing most people do not understand when "wanting" good service is BE NICE. People will most likely bend over back backwards

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

I'm not familiar with your model, but if it has a winterizing port or kit, that might be the problem. In winterizing, the line to the water tank is closed to make the pump draw RV anti-freeze. If you know where your pump is, trace the line that goes to the tank. There will be a valve in it. Make sure it's open.

As to the Murphy Bed . . . can't help you there. Good luck & don't let it get you down. In my experience, many of the sales people, technicians, and others related to the RV industry lack the expertise their supposed to have. You can learn to take care of lots of things with the help of forums, you tube, and a do-it-yourself handbook or two.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #12

Thanks 00buck...that's exactly what it was...funny thing is...they put in a new water pump before they checked the winterizing valve...or so I was told. I now have a new pump, a new DVD and a repair and reinforcement of the murphy bed.

Acadia National Park....here we come! Thanks to everyone who posted...it is much appreciated, especially since we are travel trailer camping novices.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #13

Bellalynda
We have had a microlite 23 LB and now a 25 bhs, in the LB we traveled with the bed open as there was nothing but a very cheap latch to hold it in the wall. the husband built a 2 x 2 block that fit in the corner of the closet for better anchorage of the bed. On our new BHS there is now a metal plate which is better, as the BHS must be upright for travel due to the slide, but I still wand him to put the 2 x 2 in this one too. We love the Murphy bed system.
Good luck,

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Amiprivateer1
Old 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #14

Thanks, Sue. I chose the murphy bed because my SO is wheelchair bound and his chair fits and moves about nicely in the unit when the banquet slide is out and the bed is up. (It also works with the bed down, but it's a bit more of a challenge for him to get in and out with the bed in that position). We installed a "personal" lift so he can transfer from his mobility cart outside onto his wheelchair inside. Now that we have this neat little set-up we can't wait to hit the road. We did 17 national forests and parks two years ago with a Little Guy teardrop, an easy-up and his wheelchair...smiles...what an adventure...but we're ready for a bit more comfort now!

Tags
flagstaff