Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Flagstaff Owners Looking to Upgrade

We took our (new to us) 2006 Flagstaff out on our 1st trip. We loved it! But now were shopping for a newer & nicer TT. Something that is light weight but has larger shower & regular size bed (not short queen) & maybe some nicer upgrades. We do not want anything too heavy. Something with a couple of slides & maybe sleeps 4 people. My husband just bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Tundra. So we want to he able to pull it without worrying about it being too much weight. We've looked at Rockwood Ultra Lites & Windjammers. Although after doing a little research, the Windjammers aren't very popular. Is it just the "v" shape that no one likes, or is it the actual model? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, we want a 50 amp so we can have a second a/c. One final question, when looking at the external length of trailers online, does the stated measurement include the tongue or just the trailer? Thank you!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think that if you're looking for 50A service and 2 ACs, that is optional on the Rockwood Signature not the Ultra Lite. Look at the floorplans and study the weights...the dry weights are meaningless. With your Tundra, you'll run out of payload capacity before towing capacity.

The exterior length stated in the specs are total length including the tongue.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

I think if you look closer at the Windjammers, you will see they are really nice. We took delivery in march of our bunkhouse model and upgraded to the diamond package. Corian countertops, frameless windows, tan color, etc. it has a ton of upgrades. We love the v nose design. For only sleeping 4 people, you have a number of floor plans available to you as well!

Happy hunting!
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
NELA

We bought the 30WIKSS which is Flagstaff's duplicate of one of the Windjammer models. Yep, it has the nose cone. There is also a 30WFKSS model. The difference is....IK means the kitchen is in the center (over the axels) and the FK means the kitchen is up in that cone. FK has more counter top area. IK model has the bathroom in the cone...*large* bathroom, double sinks, double medicine cabinets w/mirrors. Large shower.

The drawback with the IK (which actually means "island kitchen"...the double sink in the kitchen is the island) is that to go to the bathroom you have to walk through the bedroom.

Some find that a no-go as it means the kids have to go through the bedroom at night.

*Not* an issue for us, as it's just us..husband and wife. And if, by chance, we do invite someone along, we don't intend to be swinging from the rafters in our birthday suits at night.

The "30" is a bit misleading as it's actually 34.5 in length.

Weight? Tow capacity requirements? I very cheerfully bow out and let the number crunchers handle that.

We *LOVE* the floor plan in either of these units, just decided we preferred the bathroom being "en suite" since it's just the two of us.

<<<<<Is antsy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs! We're headin' out again Friday! It's been three weeks and I'm in full fledged withdrawal!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

My recommedation is to continue to use your current TT for the rest of the season. Make notes on likes and dilikes in order of importance and then try to find a TT that meets those needs. My DW and I did just that before we chose our new TT. Our short list
1. Bathroom near the door - tired of grandchildren tracking the length of the TT to go to the bathroom
2. Counter space - the more the better
3. Lots of storage - inside (her) and outside (me)
4. Large dinette for those rainy / ultra buggy days
5. Ability to comfortably sleep 4 - 6, although it is primarily just the two of us.

Good luck!
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote