Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #1

Flagstaff wind damage

Not sure if this should be a new subject or what, however it does pertain to towing and winds. We towed our 2018 27BHWS this past Thursday through an area of highway west of Mesquite NV and encountered very strong winds. We had no known issues with the winds until we pulled into a service station and had a person run over telling us we were dragging something silver. Upon inspection found the front bedroom bottom 1/8" plastic covering had ripped out the screws attached to the bottom of the master bedroom that held the plastic in place. Further inspection found it ripped the heater duct out too and it was what was dragging. Quick fix was Gorilla Tape everything back up until we got to our destination about 70 miles down the road. Oh, and this was at 12 midnight so wasn't a lot of light besides a mag-lite.

Next morning, went under trailer and assessed the damages. So, basically was what I stated above. Was able to cut the duct about 2 foot shorter and instead of screwing back to the vent as originally done I got a 4 - 5" clamp and screwed it tight. Then the repair to the dangling floor. Purchased 8 3/32 self tapping screws and 1" washers and pushed the plastic back up and instead of drilling into the floor again, drilled into the cross brace that was free of any thing on the side I drilled into. After secured, took another partial roll of Gorilla Tape and ran it from side to side on the seam to ensure no air got under it.

Total fix cost, about $25 after replacing a metal drill bit and parts.

I also found it some how tore my lens for my porch light off too. Ordered through amazon a new on.

Anyone else experience something like this before? Again, no problem with the wind other than damage from it we stayed straight and on all tires no problems.
infotekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved to the Flagstaff sub-forum.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 AM   #3

Im curious how strong the wind was?

If you use the interstate you are driving in at least a self created 70MPH wind every time you drive. More if you are in a headwind.

Im not sure the wind you encountered caused your problem. Could you have kicked something up onto the belly of the camper while driving? Once the coreplast was loose the duct damage easily followed along with the air pulling at it when it was exposed.