Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

Forest River Micro Lite 21DS Winterizing

I know you are supposed to bypass the hot water tank when winterizing, but don't know where the bypass is located. Any help will be appreciated.
muollot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #2

It's the valve in between the hot and cold lines when looking at the back of the water heater. Open that valve and shut the hot and cold lines and the water heater is now bypassed. It should look similar to this. Hope that helps.
Name:   water-heater-bypass-300x235.jpeg
Views: 2327
Size:  13.8 KB
WFD473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muollot View Post
I know you are supposed to bypass the hot water tank when winterizing, but don't know where the bypass is located. Any help will be appreciated.
In case you're asking where in the sense of physical location in the trailer: I don't know the year of your 21DS, but assuming it's recent, the bypass valves are located behind the left panel below the refrigerator. The panel has three hinges, 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Remove the screws from the side with only 1 hinge and the panel will swing open reveling the back of the water heater and the bypass valves.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Will check on it and see if I got it.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

I have the front kitchen so it may not be the same. On mine, on the passenger side at the back there is a door. Unlock and open and you will see a small cubby hole with a "privacy" panel. Remove that panel and you will have access to the water filter, the value to shut off the water and turn on the antifreeze and the values to shut off water flow to and from the water heater and the bypass value.
Jim Prohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Micro Lite 21 DS

DW & I have a 2015 21DS and the Heater is on the Drivers side front in the through storage to the Left when standing at the Drivers side hatch. There is a panel on mine that Has 3 Square drive screws holding it in place. Remove the screws and you'll see the valves!
SecurityRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

Water heater drain plug

Can anyone tell me where on a 2018 micro lite 21ds the water heater drain plug is located?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muollot View Post
Can anyone tell me where on a 2018 micro lite 21ds the water heater drain plug is located?
It's on the front of the water heater.

If you have a Suburban tank type water heater, then these threads may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-135977.html

The Suburban brand uses the anode rod as the drain plug as per the pic below:

If you have an Atwood brand tank type water heater, then the drain plug is a nylon/plastic plug, as per this pic below"

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD473 View Post
It's the valve in between the hot and cold lines when looking at the back of the water heater. Open that valve and shut the hot and cold lines and the water heater is now bypassed. It should look similar to this. Hope that helps.

To me, that looks wrong! Shouldn't the top and bottom valves be perpendicular to the line? The way you're picturing it, the lines going into and out of the tank are open.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post

To me, that looks wrong! Shouldn't the top and bottom valves be perpendicular to the line? The way you're picturing it, the lines going into and out of the tank are open.
You are correct. I was just showing a standard picture of the back of a water heater and plumbing for reference.
WFD473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

I'm also curious about winterizing. We have a 2018 21DS, but haven't had the opportunity to use it. However, our house water heater went out and we hooked the trailer up to city water for a couple days (although its' water heater stopped working too!). I've opened all faucets, and will be draining the water heater this weekend. Our temps here rarely get below 20 degrees, so am thinking I'll be okay for the winter, then get the water heater looked at in the spring. Anyone see any issues in doing that?
Rev_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Rock View Post
Our temps here rarely get below 20 degrees, so am thinking I'll be okay for the winter, then get the water heater looked at in the spring. Anyone see any issues in doing that?
That kind of depends on if your water heater is still under warranty. If it is, you'll probably want to get it taken care of asap.

You should probably blow out those lines with compressed air (under 60 psi) as well as opening your low point drains. We usually keep the faucets open just in case there is a bit of water left which gives room for expansion due to freezing. Or you could put in the rv antifreeze.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #13

Any idea where the low point drain is on a 21DS? I don't see anything underneath.
Rev_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Kasual Kamper

I think they move it around depending on the year. On our 2013, it's under the outside shower utility box in the far back right as you look at the trailer from the hitch. It's tucked up very close to the side body. Mine does have a label indicating where it is.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Rock View Post
Any idea where the low point drain is on a 21DS? I don't see anything underneath.
I'm sure it depends on year. On our 2018, it's roughly under the bathroom sink. Underneath the trailer of course. And pretty much as close to the outside wall as possible.

Tags
forest river, lite, winter