Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Citrus County, Fl.

Front Cap Insulation

On our 2015 832IKBS the heat radiating thru the front cap in the afternoon seems excessive. Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

I first noticed it when we were camping in North Carolina in July with the TT facing N.W. At home it is in a carport and gets the afternoon Florida Sun facing west. I am going to get a thermometer gun and monitor the difference but standing near the front cap it feels about ten degrees higher than the rest of the coach. I am beginning to wonder if Forest River forgot to put insulation in the cap. Our 15 year old Terry was sitting in the same spot and was never that hot.

We have a minor dent just to the right of the front window on the cap which was brought up during the PDI. I have not heard from the dealer as of yet but if they end up replacing the cap I want to make sure it has insulation in it.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

I will bet that the Terry had thicker walls with more insulation.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

What color is the cap? The reason I ask is that I can't put my hand on my son's black pickup without leaving some skin burned into the paint in the summer. If it's a dark color, it's going to get much hotter. The 15-year-old Terry was probably white. If this one is white, too, then I'd be looking at the insulation. If it's dark brown or some other dark color, you may be able to cure some of it with extra insulation, but I'm not sure how much...

I'm considering upgrading to one with a molded front cap. They seem to all be some dark color... While they look nice, I wonder if the manufacturers are thinking about that heat build up...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
On our 2015 832IKBS the heat radiating thru the front cap in the afternoon seems excessive.

We have a minor dent just to the right of the front window on the cap which was brought up during the PDI.
I haven't noticed any heat issue with our 8329ss (Platinum), but we've been seeing daytime highs in the mid 80's. I'll try to remember to feel the wall this weekend in the afternoon.

We have a small dent as well, its near the upper RH corner of the window.
I'll try to get a picture to post to see if it's similar to yours.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

Schrederman, ours has the Diamond package with the dark brown cap. I bet that is where the difference is. I wanted to go with the Platimum pkg with the white gel coat but my DW had one more vote than me. When we bought our car we looked at the grey and the light green and the green was much cooler to touch. I am just glad we have two ac units.

I do have a picture of the dent in the cap but will have to transfer it from my phone and post it later. It is very minor but noticeable.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We have same trailer and when parked in a field first trip out was pretty hot overall, arrived late afternoon. I didn't notice the bedroom much hotter. We have one AC but a 15 k. We were facing due southwest so the afternoon was hot. After having the RV cooled down day 2 was much better and did not get as hot.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #7

I have a Micro Lite 21FBRS. I worked on nuclear powerhouses, oil refineries and industrial plants everywhere, some in 100 degree areas. My 21FBRS has been Ok but could be better, that said, my unit is aluminum sheeting with an Alpha roof. I will reinsulate any part of the unit if a opportunity comes along. I will use heavy spray foam, the best there is.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
On our 2015 832IKBS the heat radiating thru the front cap in the afternoon seems excessive. Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

I first noticed it when we were camping in North Carolina in July with the TT facing N.W. At home it is in a carport and gets the afternoon Florida Sun facing west. I am going to get a thermometer gun and monitor the difference but standing near the front cap it feels about ten degrees higher than the rest of the coach. I am beginning to wonder if Forest River forgot to put insulation in the cap. Our 15 year old Terry was sitting in the same spot and was never that hot.

We have a minor dent just to the right of the front window on the cap which was brought up during the PDI. I have not heard from the dealer as of yet but if they end up replacing the cap I want to make sure it has insulation in it.
FR never use to put insulation behind the caps. They were just placed on a wood frame, you wall was the only thing insulated. Now they have started to put foam sheets in between the cap and framing. Not sure if they have now started to do that during production yet. I would hope so being all the dark color caps starting to collapse or dent. There where some pictures of the cap removed and the insulation being put in the framing. I forgot what the thread was called. The pictured showed before when they took it off and after they insulated it the correct way, before they replaced the cap. The folks who had the bad luck with there wildcats pin box failures had to remove there caps for the repair they might be able to answer your question if there is anything behind it when removed. Just a guess but I would say no. Their thinking is that your 2" wall would be enough. Just my opinion.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation