Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

Front LED Strip Sticky to Touch

On the front of my 2019 Flagstaff 26RBWS is a shallow v shaped LED strip to provide light at the hitch. Last fall I noticed it was sticky to touch. I believe the LED strip was protected by a clear vinyl cover that was not UV stabilized. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do about it? I have tried various means to clean it but it remains sticky and gets dirty on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_123251.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	241934  
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

I've noticed the same on various brands of LED strips. My problem is the black plastic bezel ring around my TT's AM/FM/CD/DVD is the same way.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't have your model but I believe you are in the right ballpark.

While mine isn't sticky to the touch, it has gotten very yellowed and hence, not nearly as bright as it was when it was clear.

I have also noticed the same condition you describe when visiting other units on dealer lots. Sometimes on not very old units!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

Many plastics do get sticky when they get old. Certain chemicals migrate towards the surface after a while. Try some WD-40 on a rag in a small area to see if it removes it.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I've noticed the same on various brands of LED strips. My problem is the black plastic bezel ring around my TT's AM/FM/CD/DVD is the same way.
The bezel on your head unit should be acrylic. If you look closely at where the bezel meets the wood of the cabinet you can locate a small notch. Tape the blade of a small screw driver and GENTLY pry the bezel off. Now you can clean it. The bezel hides the four screws that hold the head unit in place.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywater View Post
Many plastics do get sticky when they get old. Certain chemicals migrate towards the surface after a while. Try some WD-40 on a rag in a small area to see if it removes it.
I tried several different liquids including WD40, GooGone and some other chemicals collected over several decades as a plastics engineer.

My current try is sealing it with a clear acrylic spray on top coat. This seems to be working and I will continue re spraying on a 48 hour interval to build up a protective layer. So far the stickiness is contained. Only time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_131742.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	241966  
Old 10-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't have your model but I believe you are in the right ballpark.

While mine isn't sticky to the touch, it has gotten very yellowed and hence, not nearly as bright as it was when it was clear.

I have also noticed the same condition you describe when visiting other units on dealer lots. Sometimes on not very old units!
Our unit is only three years old and I noticed this last year.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post

My current try is sealing it with a clear acrylic spray on top coat. This seems to be working and I will continue re spraying on a 48 hour interval to build up a protective layer. So far the stickiness is contained. Only time will tell.
That was going to be my next suggestion. I’ve had to micro-mesh, then clear coat plastics in the past.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

I have a 2019 Flagstaff 29KSWS that has the same issue. Please advise if you find a solution.
lhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #10

Certain chemicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywater View Post
"Certain chemicals" are the plasticizer. Concurrent with its migration is an increase in brittleness of the product. This what was behind the huge scandal and lawsuits with "PB" plumbing. The tubing was fine, but the elbows and tees got so brittle after several years that they would spontaneously fracture in the walls--usually at the inside corners where the stress concentrates.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaley View Post
I have a 2019 Flagstaff 29KSWS that has the same issue. Please advise if you find a solution.
So far so good. I have masked off the front of the trailer to protect from over spray and am coating the LED with a clear coat. I am using Rust Oleum Clear. I have applied two coats with a minimum of 24 hours between. I will continue until I use up this can of paint. No longer sticky to the touch just question as to how long it will last.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2023, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
On the front of my 2019 Flagstaff 26RBWS is a shallow v shaped LED strip to provide light at the hitch. Last fall I noticed it was sticky to touch. I believe the LED strip was protected by a clear vinyl cover that was not UV stabilized. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do about it? I have tried various means to clean it but it remains sticky and gets dirty on the road.
Has anyone found a good solution for this? What ever coating/covering was on the V shaped LED strip on the front of my 2021 Micro Lite 21FBRS has melted off and run down the front of the camper.
Jcnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:24 PM   #13

I now have several seasons behind me since I coated the sticky LED strip with Rust-Oleum Clear Durable Topcoat. No sticky anymore. With all of the time consumed masking and remasking over several days while I built up layer after layer this repair was expensive in time but very cheap in materials.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #14

Thanks, I still need to figure out what to use to get all the sticky stuff off the front of the camper that melted, just have not had time. I think I'll try the clear coat and see what happens. I'm also attempting to get the front glass replaced on mine, it cracked all the way across just sitting in my driveway. So far one offered to order the glass for about $300 but then probably at least $200 shipping plus I have to install it myself of find someone to install it. Customer service around here is a joke. The dealer I bought if from new doesn't even know what window to order and they have the VIN. I don't think I would bother with another Forest River camper.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:41 PM   #15

Start trying to remove the sticky stuff with soap and water and elbow grease then try alcohol. Contact Forest River parts department directly. They can use your VIN to determine what front glass you have.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:44 PM   #16

I did contact them, they "forwarded your inquiry over to the correct Representative and they will reach out to you shortly."
Old 02-16-2023, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Start trying to remove the sticky stuff with soap and water and elbow grease then try alcohol. Contact Forest River parts department directly. They can use your VIN to determine what front glass you have.
I got all the melted sealant off the front of the camper. As per the glass, I contacted Forest River and their response was "Unfortunately I do not have any info for window install, but maybe there is a local auto glass company that could help or even a rv service center?"
The dealer I bought if from finally worked up a quote. They say the glass is only $245 but total job, not including shipping will be over $1200. They also said that based on the last larger item freight shipped to them, shipping will be around $900. So over 2K for a $245 piecs of glass.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #18

Ouch!!!
Old 02-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #19

Mask it for painting clean and polish it with very fine sand paper
600 - 1200grit wash again
then apply the top coat

the more time spent on prep and sanding the better and more longer lasting finish you get.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:19 AM   #20

I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Mask it for painting clean and polish it with very fine sand paper
600 - 1200grit wash again
then apply the top coat

the more time spent on prep and sanding the better and more longer lasting finish you get.
Mine is a low durometer vinyl cover very much like vinyl tubing. I would not advise using sandpaper or any other abrasive. If it has surface discoloration you might use a cream type of plastic polish.

Tags
led