Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #1

Front window cover E-Pro

We’ve had our E-Pro 19FD for about a year and have logged several trips. One thing that has come up is that the inside window cover at the head of the bed I allows quite a bit of light through. Has anyone come up with a cover solution for the outside of the window?
Beerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #2

I have a Mini Lite and a good friend has a GeoPro, which is essentially the same as your E Pro. Our concern about the front window was more about protection from rocks. My Mini Lite window is around a $1200 piece of glass. That said, after much online searching, I came up empty. Then I found a local upholstery guy that does strictly auto and boat upholstery. He whipped up a nice 2 sided cover with foam between the layers, for each of us. Works great, is easy on and off, is as good as a blackout shade, and the bonus is it offers much needed protection for a very vulnerable piece of glass. BTW, my GeoPro friend already had a pretty good sized star on his windshield from a rock strike....
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Front window sun shade.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	270347

DW made this interior shade for our front window. It's Reflectix covered with some material she had. We hold it in place with the night shades.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

Keeps it nice and dark while sleeping plus front window protection while on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wndwcvr1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	270357  
Old 03-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #5

I can't tell how the cover attaches to the front of the camper and is secure enough while driving? Can you describe how it is attached to the outside?
alan.krech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.krech View Post
I can't tell how the cover attaches to the front of the camper and is secure enough while driving? Can you describe how it is attached to the outside?
The cover is held on with stainless steel marine twist locking canvas fasteners. I so far have had no issues with losing the cover, or the cover flapping while at highway speeds - nor have my 2 friends with the same covers/fasteners. I like these fasteners better than snaps as they are really easy on and off (less than 30 seconds each way) and need no pressure to remove the female portion (the grommet portion) from the male (the twist lock tab). Just twist the tab and lift off - unlike snaps which require a certain amount of force to remove the female from the male. I may decide to add two more fasters - one at either side -
after next month's trip to the Grand Canyon. But I expect no issues.
All in all, I have been very happy with this setup.

Here is a link to the type of fastener used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14438927075...YAAOSw5U1h9C88
Old 06-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

After using the TT a few times wth the cover I discovered the added benefit of the cover blocling out all light as well as the insulating properties of the cover. I simply put the cover on at night, and remove it the next morning to let light in. A 30 second operation each way.

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
Old 09-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #8

NevadaMiniLite,

Nice looking cover! Looking to do something similar to my Mini Lite. How did you attach the male end of the fasteners to your trailer? The link you posted no longer exists. Screws? Stick on? Thanks
irondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondog View Post
NevadaMiniLite,

Nice looking cover! Looking to do something similar to my Mini Lite. How did you attach the male end of the fasteners to your trailer? The link you posted no longer exists. Screws? Stick on? Thanks

The trailer portion of the fasteners are a twist lock typically usedon marine applications. They are screwed in and epoxied so those suckers are never coming out. A lot of folks use the 3M type stick on fasteners but I feel that it is just a matter of weather, UV's and time before they fail. That said, I have towed the trailer through a lot of high winds and have never once had any issues with the window cover. It truly was one of the best mods I have done.

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
Old 09-25-2022, 07:21 AM   #10
Father Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaMiniLite View Post
Keeps it nice and dark while sleeping plus front window protection while on the road.
Where do you find this item for covering the window? (Link in message no longer valid).
FredV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 AM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
Where do you find this item for covering the window? (Link in message no longer valid).
The fasteners are readily available from multiple sources.
The cover you would have to make or have made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stai...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:32 AM   #12
Father Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
The fasteners are readily available from multiple sources. The cover you would have to make or have made.

Ok, thanks. That was the issue. In my searches I was not finding the fabric portion, but the fasteners are easy to source.
FredV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

after checking RV sources online (which were very expensive) I happened upon a local guy that does marine canvas. He did a nice job for a very reasonable amount of money (like half of what the online RV guys wanted) and he has now done front window coverings for 3 friends as well as others that we have come across while camping. If you are interested I would be happy to give you his contact info and he is happy to ship. Just PM me.

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
Old 10-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post

I believe he had it custom produced at an upholstery shop and then added marine stainless fasteners himself. I really like the final results. Great post-thanks.

This is something that worries me about that great big beautiful window running down the road sticking above my tow vehicle. I have read about this auto glass “art work” easily rock chipping and cracking—absolutely love the window and what it does for the inside of the trailer but I would love to take this one off my worry list.

I too have been searching for a ready made cover on the market. I finally found a company in Colorado that specializes MiniLite and GeoPro windshield covers.

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	281073
They are vinyl with a neoprene inside to protect the glass. You can find them on-line at YB Outdoors. They fit inside the frame on the glass with a Velcro strip kit.

I can’t tell you how it works as mine is being shipped but I am hopeful it will eliminate my concerns and provides the needed insurance for $350 including shipping. I will report later the expected bliss! [emoji42]
Old 10-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #15

The link to yb-outdoors here:
https://yb-outdoors.com/
Old 05-16-2023, 09:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck754 View Post
I believe he had it custom produced at an upholstery shop and then added marine stainless fasteners himself. I really like the final results. Great post-thanks.

This is something that worries me about that great big beautiful window running down the road sticking above my tow vehicle. I have read about this auto glass “art work” easily rock chipping and cracking—absolutely love the window and what it does for the inside of the trailer but I would love to take this one off my worry list.

I too have been searching for a ready made cover on the market. I finally found a company in Colorado that specializes MiniLite and GeoPro windshield covers.
Attachment 281073
They are vinyl with a neoprene inside to protect the glass. You can find them on-line at YB Outdoors. They fit inside the frame on the glass with a Velcro strip kit.

I can’t tell you how it works as mine is being shipped but I am hopeful it will eliminate my concerns and provides the needed insurance for $350 including shipping. I will report later the expected bliss! [emoji42]

Just a quick follow up to the YB Outdoors window cover I ordered. It arrived with excellent instructions for installation. However, I was concerned about the warnings that it should not be left on except when traveling. Apparently the Velcro fastener around the border gives out when exposure to the elements. So, after some thought I ordered snaps from Sailrite which install to the edges of the glass. Problem solved. I just cut the velgro away from the spot that was getting a snap and I only attached male Velgro across the top and sides to hold the fabric in place until I can snap it in place. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	287290

I have used it several times without any issue and it looks great.

If you had the time you could build one with boat carpet glued to a foil insulation template-attached by snaps. Depends on what your time is worth I would say. Ha
Old 05-16-2023, 11:32 PM   #17

We just got ours from the same upholstery guy that NevadaMinlLite used. Works great. Both for road protection and black out screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	287293  
2021 Days Camping 184
2022 Days Camping 126
2023 Days Camping 128
TwoKozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:04 PM   #18

Can you please share the info for where you got this cover? Thanks!
BougiePro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BougiePro19 View Post
"My Upholstery Guy"
Randy Peck

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
Old 09-29-2023, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BougiePro19 View Post
You can get one at YB-Outdoors.com They really are pretty good!
Tjs2509s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, window